Michael Henderson 1951-2022

sambrasa

Sad to hear.  I was working in a jazz record store when his vocal albums appeared (and sold well).  I guess they were positioning him as the new Billy Eckstine.  I barely believed he was the same guy who played on those Miles albums.  Very talented, always in the pocket.  RIP.

Sigh.

R.I.P. to another link in the chain of great bassists across genres from Detroit -- Al McKibbon, Major Holley, Ernie Farrow, Will Austin, Ray McKinney, Paul Chambers, Doug Watkins, James Jamerson, Ron Carter, Cecil McBee, Cameron Brown, Bootsy Collins (a transplant), Ralphe Armstrong, Jaribu Shahid, Marion Hayden, Robert Hurst, Rodney Whitaker, Tassili Bond ... 

oh shit, I saw this crew when they all were so young, those "Children of Agharta" how the named themself later. 
Great period and for me the reason to have my ears open for both styles, for the acoustic and the electric. Yeah, 1973 Stadthalle......

Now who is left from that crew: Al of course. Lieb of course, how about M´tume? The guitar players I didn´t pay so much attention to their solos then, but one of them Reggie Lucas or Pete Cosey had died I think......

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

oh shit, I saw this crew when they all were so young, those "Children of Agharta" how the named themself later. 
Great period and for me the reason to have my ears open for both styles, for the acoustic and the electric. Yeah, 1973 Stadthalle......

Now who is left from that crew: Al of course. Lieb of course, how about M´tume? The guitar players I didn´t pay so much attention to their solos then, but one of them Reggie Lucas or Pete Cosey had died I think......

Mtume, Lucas and Cosey are all no longer with us, sorry to say. Mtume’s passing was quite recent.

Henderson was one of the panel members for this “Electric Miles Revisited” conversation I attended at the 2019 Jazz Congress, along with Gary Bartz, Al Foster, Dave Liebman, Mtume, Wallace Roney, Lenny White, and Vince Wilburn:

The session starts at around the 10:00 mark:

Edited by ghost of miles

26 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Henderson was one of the panel members for this “Electric Miles Revisited” conversation I attended at the 2019 Jazz Congress, along with Gary Bartz, Al Foster, Dave Liebman, Mtume, Wallace Roney, Lenny White, and Vince Wilburn:

Was this the one with the clip with Mtume that was passed around a lot on social media recently after his death?

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Wow, this is priceless. For once, the camera was in the right place to capture this discussion - thanks for posting.

No Al Foster though on the panel but thank goodness Mtume, Henderson and Roney participated. 

Was aware that Henderson had contributed to a myriad of sessions but what he confirms here at such a young age is incredible.

I remember that jazz critic hostility to this stuff which Mtume mentions at that time - it was pretty divisive on the whole.

Edited by sidewinder