Recommendations for Record Stores in...

Rabshakeh

31 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Wow, good luck. I’m assuming you’ve been there before? Went for the first time a few years ago, 2018 I think, and loved Lisbon. Don’t remember seeing a dedicated music store but 3 days there as a first time tourist left no time for it. 

Once back in 2014, which was lovely although I suspect that it has changed a bit since then. I don't recall any record shops either, but then I was in the centre of town.

8 minutes ago, Aggie87 said:

Article is from 2016, but maybe some of the shops are still there:

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/lisbon-best-record-shops-guide/ 

Thanks. I read that. It was a little hard to identify what is actually good from the descriptions though. Most of the shops look like they're out of the centre and I am nervous of showing up after a 40 minute detour to find that the shop I have picked only sells achingly cool white label techno singles and house plants.

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'll be in Scottsdale, Arizona early next year. 

Any recommendations for second hand record shops there? Or in Phoenix, which looks close by to me on a map (although you never know with the US...).

I moved to a town just north of Scottsdale earlier this year.  Like less than 2 miles to the northern Scottsdale border.  The boundaries for Scottsdale/Phoenix are blurry to me, so I don't know how much it matters to you whether a shop is in Phx or Scottsdale.

There's a used chain here called Zia Records with 5 locations around the Valley (which includes Phoenix, Mesa, Chandler, Tempe, Scottsdale, Glendale, and other Phoenix area suburbs). They've also got branches in Tucson and Las Vegas.  They're a little bit of everything - new, used, vinyl, cds, some books, dvds, etc.  But I can usually find some interesting vinyl and cd purchases every time I visit one of them.

https://www.ziarecords.com/

I've also visited the Vinyl Record Dude and found some interesting things there.

https://vinylrecorddude.com/

And I've been to Stinkweeds, which seems to be a successful place, but I didn't find much of interest in my one visit there.

https://www.stinkweeds.com/

Seems like there are other Phx area board members, maybe they'll chime in.

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'll be in Scottsdale, Arizona early next year. 

Any recommendations for second hand record shops there? Or in Phoenix, which looks close by to me on a map (although you never know with the US...).

The In Groove comes to mind. I think they have a large jazz selection. 

On 10/16/2023 at 11:53 PM, Aggie87 said:

I moved to a town just north of Scottsdale earlier this year.  Like less than 2 miles to the northern Scottsdale border.  The boundaries for Scottsdale/Phoenix are blurry to me, so I don't know how much it matters to you whether a shop is in Phx or Scottsdale.

There's a used chain here called Zia Records with 5 locations around the Valley (which includes Phoenix, Mesa, Chandler, Tempe, Scottsdale, Glendale, and other Phoenix area suburbs). They've also got branches in Tucson and Las Vegas.  They're a little bit of everything - new, used, vinyl, cds, some books, dvds, etc.  But I can usually find some interesting vinyl and cd purchases every time I visit one of them.

https://www.ziarecords.com/

I've also visited the Vinyl Record Dude and found some interesting things there.

https://vinylrecorddude.com/

And I've been to Stinkweeds, which seems to be a successful place, but I didn't find much of interest in my one visit there.

https://www.stinkweeds.com/

Seems like there are other Phx area board members, maybe they'll chime in

For some reason this has just showed up for me. Thank you.

21 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Thanks! 

An Instagram contact has also recommended Double Nickels, Stinkweed and Record High, but The In Groove seems to be the consensus.

The owner, Mike is a rather interesting character and not shy about speaking his mind. On several occasions he’s slammed The Electric Recording Company. He was also the one that raised the whole Mobile Fidelity digital issue.  

The boundaries for Scottsdale/Phoenix are blurry to me, so I don't know how much it matters to you whether a shop is in Phx or Scottsdale.

Is there a big drive between them? I'm not clear on the distances. It looks to me like they are effectively the same city, but what do I know? 

The boundaries for Scottsdale/Phoenix are blurry to me, so I don't know how much it matters to you whether a shop is in Phx or Scottsdale.

Is there a big drive between them? I'm not clear on the distances. It looks to me like they are effectively the same city, but what do I know? 

Also, which Zia location is most worth going to? I'm not sure how much time I'll have.

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Also, which Zia location is most worth going to? I'm not sure how much time I'll have.

Phoenix and Scottsdale sort of blend together, running parallel to each other north and south.  They are sort of the same city, though Scottsdale is generally more affluent than Phoenix.  Phoenix has a more diverse population.  Everything here is kind of spread out, so you'll travel some distance between places..  Traffic in central Phoenix and on the 101 Loop can get pretty busy during rush hours, but it's mostly pretty easy to get around.

area-map-scottsdale.gif

For Zia locations, they just relocated their main store to 6135 N 35th Ave (corner of Bethany Home Rd).  That might be their best location, though I go to the one on Thunderbird Road more often (it's closer to me), and I think it's just as good.

I like Zia because I like the mix of new and used music that they have, in all genres.  It is sort of like Waterloo in Austin or Princeton Record Exchange in NJ, if you've familiar with those.  

Edited by Aggie87

7 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

Phoenix and Scottsdale sort of blend together, running parallel to each other north and south.  They are sort of the same city, though Scottsdale is generally more affluent than Phoenix.  Phoenix has a more diverse population.  Everything here is kind of spread out, so you'll travel some distance between places..  Traffic in central Phoenix and on the 101 Loop can get pretty busy during rush hours, but it's mostly pretty easy to get around.

area-map-scottsdale.gif

Thanks!

How long would it take to drive from one to the other? I'm likely to be Ubering. Is that a fool's errand or is it a sensible way to get around?

As a European, it is easy to get caught out by maps of US cities. The scales are very different. 

12 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Thanks!

How long would it take to drive from one to the other? I'm likely to be Ubering. Is that a fool's errand or is it a sensible way to get around?

As a European, it is easy to get caught out by maps of US cities. The scales are very different. 

I can't answer how long it will take to get from one place to another without knowing the locations you're asking about, lol.  

Things are very spread out in the whole Phoenix/Scottsdale area, so it will take some time to get from place to place.  Google maps can help you determine how long it will take from one address to another, if that helps you.

Phoenix (and all of it's adjacent cities like Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa, Glendale, etc) isn't like a European city with a proper city center and good public transport to all of the suburbs.  You will need a vehicle to get around.  You may be better off financially if you rent a car, instead of Ubering from A to B to C, back to A, etc.  

As a side note, it is still very hot in Phoenix. Today's high temperature will be 102F (about 39C). The city is in a desert climate.  It may be pleasant when you visit, or it may be hot, depending on which month it is.

Edited by Aggie87

Sorry, I cannot help with any of those... but I have a question myself: Paris? 

I won't have a lot of time, just two hours or so some Wednesday afternoon around the city center... where would I go for used LPs? (not necessarily the high-end stuff, always happy to find, say, a Ruby Braff, Don Ewell or Bud Freeman album I don't own yet) or for CDs?