Ahmad Jamal "Live In Paris (1971) - Lost Ortf Recordings

Harbour

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I'm very tempted 

What other Jamal albums from this time should I be listening to, John?

I'm not John ;) -- but late-60s/early-70s Jamal is my favorite period too. 

My recommendation would be to check out  all the Impulse albums, beginning with The Awakening

And it began with Vernell Fournier back on drums!

It's odd, maybe, that Chess' two big piano trios -Ahmad Jamal and Ramsey Lewis - went on to have second, equally great yet significantly different groups that sooner or later went to other labels. 

Actually with Lewis, there's no comparison for me. As popular as the Young-Holt group was, my preference is for tha next one

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I'm not John ;) -- but late-60s/early-70s Jamal is my favorite period too. 

My recommendation would be to check out  all the Impulse albums, beginning with The Awakening

Thanks not-John :)

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

And before that, Extensions on Chess. And then the ABC record which then was reissued on impulse!, Tranquility.

Thanks 

Mark,

I agree with the previous suggestions, "Extensions" is great, to me his best single album, and the Impulse's are the period I like best ('Tranquility', 'At The Top: Poinciana Revisited', 'The Awakening', 'Freeflight, 'OutertimeInnerspace').   The last two are from the same 1971 Montreux Festival Concert.  The Impulse titles are easy to come by, and most have been two-fer'd.

6 hours ago, felser said:

Mark,

I agree with the previous suggestions, "Extensions" is great, to me his best single album, and the Impulse's are the period I like best ('Tranquility', 'At The Top: Poinciana Revisited', 'The Awakening', 'Freeflight, 'OutertimeInnerspace').   The last two are from the same 1971 Montreux Festival Concert.  The Impulse titles are easy to come by, and most have been two-fer'd.

Lovely, thank you. I streamed 'Extensions' on my early morning walk in the park yesterday, ideal way to start a day. I'll pick another this morning 

• 4 weeks later...

So when he got wind of a set of pristine old recordings, captured in the mid-to-late 1960s during performances at the Penthouse club in Seattle, he hesitated. It took some cajoling for Jamal to sign off on a release. Eventually, “I went along with it,” he said. “But it’s unusual for me.”

His reluctance was thawed by Zev Feldman, the skillful and enthusiastic producer who unearthed the tapes, and by the quality of the performances themselves. Culled from half-hour radio broadcasts that had been caught on the Penthouse’s reel-to-reel tape machine, these recordings will see the light of day starting in November, with the release of two separate double-disc collections: “Emerald City Nights: Live at the Penthouse (1963-64)” and “(1965-66),” the first albums to arrive on Feldman’s new label, Jazz Detective. A third set, “(1966-68),” will be released soon after.

5 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Try googling the headline of the article, and then click on the NYT link from within Google. That usually works for me, to get behind their paywall — or at least it does within the Google app on my iPhone.

Yes, that’s what worked for me too. 

9 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

So when he got wind of a set of pristine old recordings, captured in the mid-to-late 1960s during performances at the Penthouse club in Seattle, he hesitated. It took some cajoling for Jamal to sign off on a release. Eventually, “I went along with it,” he said. “But it’s unusual for me.”

His reluctance was thawed by Zev Feldman, the skillful and enthusiastic producer who unearthed the tapes, and by the quality of the performances themselves. Culled from half-hour radio broadcasts that had been caught on the Penthouse’s reel-to-reel tape machine, these recordings will see the light of day starting in November, with the release of two separate double-disc collections: “Emerald City Nights: Live at the Penthouse (1963-64)” and “(1965-66),” the first albums to arrive on Feldman’s new label, Jazz Detective. A third set, “(1966-68),” will be released soon after.

a bit more to add, though the article is also a nice long profile of Jamal’s life and music:

The “Emerald City Nights” albums come from the period when Jamal had just returned to touring, and his piano playing — always centered on finely wrought patterns and spare, interwoven phrases — was growing more lush. The Penthouse was one of his favorite clubs to play, so the new collections showcase Jamal in a number of different engagements, with a variety of trio lineups.

The tracks include Jamal originals like “Minor Moods”; contributions from his bandmates; jazz standards by Cole Porter and Benny Golson; and pop ditties like “Feeling Good,” performed here just months before Nina Simone’s famous rendition was released. On “(1965-66),” one side features a particularly exciting (and rarely recorded) lineup: the drummer Vernel Fournier, whose famous beat had set the gamboling foundation for “Poinciana,” and the bassist Jamil Nasser, one of Jamal’s most consistent collaborators in the 1960s and ’70s.

“He supervised every part of this production: listening to the music, ID-ing the tracks,” Feldman said of Jamal’s involvement in the archival release.

Well, they have certainly been "lost" to general availability and consumption for decades. That's certain, hence the excitement here now that we have "found" them.

I'm not sure "lost" in this context ever necessarily means misplaced or hidden, does it? It can do in some instances but not all.