People like modern art; why not modern music?

gvopedz

9 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Speaking of modernistic movie soundtracks, I recall some fairly interesting— or at least atypical — music on many of the original Planet of the Apes films from 1968-73 — the first two especially, and the 4th one (which was especially dark, in terms of plot and tone).

I’ve never owned any albums of CD’s of them, but I’m well aquatinted with the movies as I’ve seen all of them several times each over the years.

There’s some crazy, if not truly atonal, then at least bitonal choral(!!) music in first sequel (the 2nd film) — which left a pretty strong impression on me the very first time I hear it back in college when I was about 19 (summer right after my freshman year).

And the stark, very percussive soundtrack to the original film is outstanding in the context of the film.

I have the box set of all five. I am very familiar with the first three, less so with the final two.  

Goldsmith's original is a classic and holds up very well as an album.  It is readily available, but get the expanded version.  The truncated album version had some puzzling omissions, for example the hunt music which is what everyone seems to remember.

The second film was scored by Leonard Rosenman.  Agree about the chorus and the "Hymn to the Bomb" track.  The album version placed a "rock" drumbeat beneath, and I actually like the album version better!  (The CD includes both the album and film tracks.)

Anyway, these are perfect examples of the kinds of things I mentioned earlier. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic