Erich Kleinschuster - ORF 1968-1971

Pim

There's a little discussion of them in the "What did you buy" thread

I picked all three up today and I'm on the last side of the twelve.  Fabulous sound quality, great playing by Kleinschuster's band, lovely arrangements and each guest is on top form.  The best of the three for me is the Henderson/Goykovich, but that's just on first listen. I found the Slide Hampton sides a bit pedestrian.

Fine music, yes, very fine.

I got those on CD a few years ago, and with no small effort. Had to find a Germen website that didn't seem to do a lot of English, and had to send CC info via email!

But all went well, product delivered, no ID hacking, and they seemed to be happy to do it. Good people!

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Is there an overlap with the two previously released double CD sets?

From what I could see, there were Jimmy Heath tracks on one of the CDs which are not on the 3 double LPs. I think Wallen Bink’s Facebook page also mentions at least one track on these LPs which were not on the CDs.

My LPs arrived from London today. First impressions are very positive - well recorded and re-mastered for vinyl. Level of quality/presentation is up to Tone Poet standards (without any worries about wow/flutter that is!)

Edited by sidewinder

I checked the info on Discogs (don't have my CD sets at hand) and at a quick glance, it seems that the new material is the sessions with Gojkovic and Tolliver. As mentioned, there is also some material from the CD sets not replicated here. Somewhat irritatingly, the new material is spread across different LP sets.

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I checked the info on Discogs (don't have my CD sets at hand) and at a quick glance, it seems that the new material is the sessions with Gojkovic and Tolliver. As mentioned, there is also some material from the CD sets not replicated here. Somewhat irritatingly, the new material is spread across different LP sets.

Yep - screw 'em!!

The full (separate) sessions with Gojkovic and Tolliver do circulate — a buddy of mine burned both of them for me several years ago. And if I’m not mistaken, the tracks on these LP’s from those sessions are NOT the full sessions in their entirety.

It’s really a shame the full sessions can’t be released on CD. I even wanna say the Gojkovic I have with Kleinschuster is from two different Kleinschuster-led sessions, and together (if there really are two such sessions), the CDR I have clocks in around 55 or 60 minutes, maybe even 65?

(I’m 1,000 miles from home as I’m typing this, visiting my Dad in St. Louis, or I’d check myself.)

Of course Erich Kleinschuster was a very important personality on our jazz scene here in Viena. He also had his radio program "Jazz with Erich Kleinschuster" and did a lot of teaching and was such a fantastic trombonist. 
He was originally from Graz, another town in Austria with some jazz history (Sonny Rollins-Max Roach in Graz, Coltrane 1962, Jimmie Giuffre 1961 and a lot of more, and an own jazz conservatory.  
He had his own sextet in the seventies/eighties,  and I remember once he sat in with another great musician from the States, I don´t remember who, and called "Move" at a really fast tempo. 
I was a bit too young and shy then or didn´t feel "ready" so I had no musical encounter with him, sad.

I love the little Wallen Bink label and bought all three of these.  Yes, somewhat expensive, particularly with postage to the US.  But they really are beautiful packages and something I can savor for years to come.  Gave up the booze, gave up sugar, but I ain't giving up delights like this :)

https://wallenbink.com/index.php/shop/erich-kleinshuster-6tet-orf-recordings/erich-kleinschuster-6tet-orf-wb014-015-016

Edited by Eric

Not even an automatic  notification of payment after the Paypal transaction, they should rethink their customer service.

RE: The three volumes arrived (in two separate packages) pretty fast based on recent Cross-Channel deliveries. Beautiful music, sound and presentation!

Edited by aparxa

• 4 weeks later...

Just got these as well -- affordable/ish and well-packed courtesy of The Bastards.

I think the sound and presentation is really good. The sessions themselves are hit or miss, which is how I always felt about the Sextet's 1970s LPs as-issued. The Sextet session with John Surman as a guest, which didn't make it onto these LPs*, is choice. And of course Kleinschuster and Pauer were part of a brilliant NDR Surman session from '69 too.

* google it, it's out in the ether

On 6.9.2022 at 8:21 PM, clifford_thornton said:

And of course Kleinschuster and Pauer were part of a brilliant NDR Surman session from '69 too.

Fritz Pauer was my mentor when I was a highschool kid. His niece was a schoolmate and made the connections. From then on, it was Fritz Pauer who encouraged me and he was the one who let me come up on stage and sit in with fast company when I was 18 years old

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Fritz Pauer was my mentor when I was a highschool kid. His niece was a schoolmate and made the connections. From then on, it was Fritz Pauer who encouraged me and he was the one who let me come up on stage and sit in with fast company when I was 18 years old

that's really cool! Power by Pauer is a banging album. 

33 minutes ago, felser said:

I'm in for all of these if they ever make it to CD.  Not going back to vinyl.

They were on CD in 2005-2007, albeit with some different tracks interspersed. I expect that the mastering is different also.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

They were on CD in 2005-2007, albeit with some different tracks interspersed.

The (separate) sessions specifically with Tolliver and Goykovich weren’t ever released before — and I would dearly love to have to have them on legit CD’s (I do have burns of them, but that’s not the same).