Abdul Wadud (1947-2022)

clifford_thornton

I second all of this.

I was so excited at the prospect of the reissue of By Myself that I have been encouraging all of my jazz and non jazz friends to listen to the record. This was done half as a joke: generally my recommendations are met with what I assume are rolled eyes and maybe a cursory listen. However, when I told them he had just died, only a week or so later, I was surprised to find that this time several of them had gone back to the album and listened to it multiple times in the short interval.

Edited by Rabshakeh

Here is a precious document. One of my heroes, the late poet Michael Harper, reading his work accompanied by Abdul Wadud. This was recorded in May 1971 at my alma mater, the University of Illinois, ten years before I first arrived on campus. Wadud sounds fantastic in this context, and it's a thrill to hear Harper read some of his greatest work, including "Dear John, Dear Coltrane," "For Bud," "Alone," and the Detroit-centric "A Mother Speaks: The Algiers Motel Incident, Detroit." (I cherish the six first editions I have of Harper's poetry, five of which are signed.)

https://www.loc.gov/item/93842257?fbclid=IwAR3-Ouwhcf8em2ii4d8jqEd1FoHCmOdtmkMPdFh1qxYdT6Skd-HQGJnHok0