Anyone watch Jazz Shepherd on YouTube?

CJ Shearn

Honestly I feel like he's an obnoxious guy at times after watching his Mo-Fi rant and his crazy Bitches Brew vs Red Clay video just as two examples.  What I will give him credit for is exploring the history of jazz and getting people into it but what do people here think? I don't agree all jazz must have the blues, swing, his takedowns of free jazz and audiophiles is a bit much.   There's one video with Ken Micallef where they shit on Miles and Jazz Shepherd says something like he could basically knock Miles out, it was incredibly immature and in poor taste.  

Edited by CJ Shearn

1 hour ago, CJ Shearn said:

Honestly I feel like he's an obnoxious guy, watching his Mo-Fi rant and his crazy Bitches Brew vs Red Clay video just as two examples.  What I will give him credit for is exploring the history of jazz and getting people into it but what do people here think? I don't agree all jazz must have the blues, swing, his takedowns of free jazz and audiophiles is a bit much.   There's one video with Ken Micallef where they shit on Miles and Jazx Shepherd says something like he could basically knock Miles out, it was incredibly immature and in poor taste.  

I watched a few of his videos during lockdown. I like his older videos on Bethlehem etc, which I didn't know that well before. Otherwise he's just a weird opinionated man who needs to wash his hair. You have to be impressed by the grinding commitment to putting out three videos a week to such a minute audience.

45 minutes ago, TheMusicalMarine said:

Wow, thanks for posting this, CJ. Didn't even know this guy existed. I don't collect vinyl, but I certainly have more in common (jazz and crazy collector wise) with him than anyone in my immediate life.

Sure. I thought his early videos on Jimmy Smith and Prestige and Argo were very good I just lost respect for him at his weird BB vs Red Clay video (you don't like BB, fine, just don't crap on it like he did... reminded me of when I was age 14) and audiophile bashing. 

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

I watched a few of his videos during lockdown. I like his older videos on Bethlehem etc, which I didn't know that well before. Otherwise he's just a weird opinionated man who needs to wash his hair. You have to be impressed by the grinding commitment to putting out three videos a week to such a minute audience.

True 

1 hour ago, bresna said:

I can't stand Bitches Brew either but I wouldn't create a whole video diatribe on it, :)

Neither would I. BTW Kevin sent you a friend request on FB

42 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

I can’t stand folks whining about shit that doesn’t matter. Giving guidance, advice and dropping knowledge and real critiques are one thing but complaining about records is ridiculous. I can’t watch more than a few seconds and then I’m done.  

The YouTube orbit is it's own universe. Agreed that music is not a thing that people should make entire videos like it's a national emergency. Most YT content creators are doing content that monetizes, hence the overload of MoFi gate vids etc

1 hour ago, bresna said:

I can't stand Bitches Brew either but I wouldn't create a whole video diatribe on it, :)

It drives engagement. He does an episode on Prestige piano trip records and they get 400 views. But if you mention Miles Davis it is instantly 1,500. If you sass Miles Davis he might even get to 2,000. He learned that trick from Micalef.

At least with him he does the one to fund the other. 

I personally have no problem with his approach. He likes what he likes and does his (subjective) homework. He dislikes what he dislikes and does his (subjective) homework. What's to dislike? If you dislike where he ends, do the same. Nobody suffers - and we can all benefit (but opinions may not change). ... That's life.