The Hudson Project--Mintzer, Abercrombie, Patitucci, Erksine

Milestones

I remember seeing this come out over two decades ago; I spotted it at Borders (remember Borders?).  I didn't get it then.

I have it now, as I have come to appreciate the players.  I was already into Abercrombie decades ago, but the others were little known to me.  But now I do know Patitucci and Erskine, and I'm coming to know Mintzer.  The latter is a virile player with a sound like Brecker's.  These guys are serious about the gig--they play very cohesively and they are fired up.   All the tunes are originals, divided democratically.  Mintzer and Abercrombie provide the most striking tunes, but the others are more than solid.  

I really slept on this one.  Go get it to hear players who work the tradition, with much of that tradition being the richness of their own legacies as players and composers.

Edited by Milestones

One of the first 'serious' jazzbands I got into was the John Abercrombie Trio with Marc Johnson and Peter Erskince. 'Current Events', 'Getting There' and the 'Abercrombie/Johnson/Erskine' live-album on ECM were some of my favorite records way back in the early nineties. 

Those are well-known albums. 'Hymn', which Bob Mintzer recorded with this trio for Owl Records in 1991 is somewhat more obscure (it's been long out of print), but may be worth checking out. I've always had a slight preference for this record over the Hudson-Project-album.

Edited by Mark13

On 22.8.2022 at 11:41 PM, Mark13 said:

These are well-known albums. 'Hymn', which Bob Mintzer recorded with this trio for Owl Records in 1991 is somewhat more obscure (it's been long out of print), but may be worth checking out. I've always had a slight preference for this record over the Hudson-Project-album.

I have that one - it's excellent!

MC5qcGVn.jpeg