Hank Mobley Video Performance!

Dan Gould

The video from which these frames are taken should be uploaded sometime in the coming days (I gave my word that I would not do anything to distribute before it is uploaded to youtube, sorry). I can say its most likely March-April 1968 at the Montmartre (from which three CDs of an audience recording have been known to exist for 20+ years) and its the same group, Kenny Drew, NHOP and Tootie Heath.

I'll post when the video goes live.

Edit to say, scroll down to EKE's post, he caught the vid faster than I did. :tup

Mobley4.jpg

Mobley1.jpg

Mobley.jpg

tenor-bass.jpg

drew.jpg

drummer2.jpg

More here:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/RNQ2tz8

About the only thing disappointing is that only one tune is captured. But whoever wondered after seeing Hank stroll down the street in slow mo whether a video would appear of him playing, well - it's coming.

Edited by Dan Gould

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Michael Weiss said:

Finally! That's tremendous news. I've had the audio since the mid eighties and love hearing Hank stretch out. Can't wait to see this.

Wow - your copy of the Montmartre tapes must be way lower generation than what I received 20+ years ago.

FWIW he doesn't stretch out like what was captured back when, this is about a seven minute rendition of "Summertime" and verified not included on those recordings. 

15 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Wow - your copy of the Montmartre tapes must be way lower generation than what I received 20+ years ago.

FWIW he doesn't stretch out like what was captured back when, this is about a seven minute rendition of "Summertime" and verified not included on those recordings. 

Can't wait to hear it nonetheless.

amazing. so what is the story here?

cory weeds writes: "This footage was found by one jazz researcher sterh86@gmail.com and he is willing to search for many other artists' footage on a commercial basis. "

the jazz researcher seems to be from the ukraine. is he legit? he's asking for paypal donations on his youtube account:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJxon1_el5A

would be happy to shoot him/her a few quid

edit: question seems to be answered above. the paypal went through as well.

Edited by hgweber

17 minutes ago, hgweber said:

amazing. so what is the story here?

cory weeds writes: "This footage was found by one jazz researcher sterh86@gmail.com and he is willing to search for many other artists' footage on a commercial basis. "

the jazz researcher seems to be from the ukraine. is he legit? he's asking for paypal donations on his youtube account:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJxon1_el5A

would be happy to shoot him/her a few quid

edit: question seems to be answered above. the paypal went through as well.

He is absolutely legit and trustworthy. You can email about his archives, they are extensive to say the least.

3 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

wowowoow!

are the audio tapes we've had from a playback of the video you think?

have you obviouslty already asked him for more footage of course...

how do you think this guy does it?  major connections in the video world?

This track does not comport with any tune from the cassettes that are out there.

I think "major connections" is the answer.

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

Is he in the Ukraine, or a Ukrainian living somewhere else?  Do we have to worry about his collection getting blown up (along with him)?

He is in Ukraine - prior transactions were thru Western Union using its country code. Now you can send money via paypal due to the war. Whether Sergey and/or his collection are in that kind of danger you can make your own assumptions.

sent it to my '57 Admiral and watched it on real TV.   wow!  Cool to link up our collecting world with his.  i believe it, one of the worlds largest queen collectors is in Russia.  he even has some of the blow up stadium props from the magic tour.  People do stuff!

*one of the phonograph collectrors  (ukraine) on antique phonograph collectors group had his collection blow up.  He showed pics, his house was destroyed.  

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

5 hours ago, bertrand said:

How long as he had this? He just found it recently?

Quite recently. And Hank was not referenced in the contents which would help keep things hidden for decades.  Dollar Brand and Dexter were the recognized stars on the program, with the Hank recording given the opening spot.

What is intriguing is to consider if they recorded a whole set of Hank and company, with other tracks to be used on other broadcasts. If they continued to not list Mobley in favor of better known artists, there might be several other recordings in existence.

Mobley could of told ya how many times hed been under a TV camera.  

this is the holy grail, but you know the GRAIL GRAIL was the Mobley/Art Farmer line in front of MONKs band on the tonight show 1957, even if audio manifested, the europe stuff, heck id even say its a definetifte possibllity not necessarily of survival, but it probably wasnt the only time in europe someone filmed him. 

so nothing with Miles was recorded huh??

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez