BFT222

jojazz

1) J.J. Johnson: “Barbados” from Dial J.J 5–a first-rate version of the Bird tune.  Of course, just about anything by J.J. is first-rate.

2)  I know this.  Such a lovely tune from the 50’s…at least originally.  Isn’t this a Gerry Mulligan piece?  Great arrangement.  That sounds a bit like Lee Konitz.  Not hearing Mulligan himself.

3) “Milestones.”  There have been many fine covers of this great piece by Miles.  This is a superb piano trio version.  I know The Great Jazz Trio did this, but it’s clearly not that group.  Is it Billy Higgins on drums?  These guys are connected and they’re burning through it.

4) “Where or When.”  Nice tenor, channeling Ben Webster’s breathy tone.  I’m thinking it’s someone else, but maybe it is Ben.  It sounds like an older recording.

5)  This sounds like Andrew Hill. It's a session that went unreleased for a long time.  It has strings, but I believe it’s just a string quartet.  Good session.  I like Hill and the whole group, including strings. Ah, it’s “Poinsettia.”

6) Not sure about this one.  Bobby Hutcherson sometimes had a sound like this in the 1960’s, but not sounding like any Hutcherson I have (which is most of the Blue Note output). I like it, though it seems a bit too simple in terms of the rhythm.

9) “Afro Blue” on guitar--I feel I should know this.  Oh, it's John Scofield from the Roy Haynes record Love Letters.  Nice performance.   

10) “The Wedding” (Water from an Ancient Well)  by Abdullah Ibrahim.  One of the most beautiful pieces ever written by him—or anyone else!

14) Ellington for sure, but I can't name the piece.

I may come back on the others.  I really like your choices.  I am finding considerable musical pleasure all through the BFT. 

Edited by Milestones

Track 2: "Moonlight in Vermont" from Lee Konitz Meets Jimmy Giuffre.

Track 4: Lucky Thompson, Billy Taylor on piano.

Track 14: "Little Rabbit Blues" from Johnny Hodges and the Ellington Men, The Big Sound (1957).

Edited by BillF

This really flows with a subdued groove.  Well put together.
1.  A pleasant Yardbird Suite featuring a lot of trombone.  J. J. Johnson?
2.  The tune has similarities at times to Social Call, but I don't think that's the tune.  Is it Gerald Wilson?
3.  Is it Milestones?  70's or later I would think for how up-front the bass is recorded.  Cedar Walton?
4.  Breathy, seductive tenor.  the names that come to mind are Don Byas, Lester Young and Ben Webster.  I'll go with Don Byas.  Is the tune Where or When?
5.  I think we have cello and bass here, leaving me torn between Oscar Pettiford and Chico Hamilton.  The flute could be either Collette or Dolphy so Chico.
6.  That's Walt Dickerson with Sun Ra.  Album Impressions of A Patch of Blue.  Is it called Ham & Eggs?  Twenty-eight stars!
7.  More bone.  Slide Hampton?
8.  Reminds me of New York, NY by George Russell which I think featured Jon Hendricks.  I don't think Jon was a Trane fan and it can't be that album because I think it preceded A Love Supreme.  
9.  Afro Blue with guitar trio.  I'll be googling to see who has recorded this on guitar, but meanwhile I'll throw out Vic Juris as a wild guess.  I decided I would have heard it if it was Pat Martino.
10.  Familiar and beautiful.  First thought is Abdullah Ibrahim.  The Wedding?
11.  Another all time favorite.  Soft and Furry by Johnny Griffin.  Was the album Change of Pace?
12.  Largish band, and the trumpet shows off control in the high range.  Totally baffled.  My Hail Mary is Gerald Wilson again.
13.  Muted trumpet and flute provide lush settings for the piano.  John Hicks?
14.  Damn that's a familiar tenor sound.  Gonsalves with the Duke??

Album cover - cast of ancient primetime drama Room 222!

Edited by randyhersom

1 – I like it and sounds like something I already own.  Early 60’s with that calypso beat? 

2 – Well done, but older style and more polite than what I really dig.

3 – “Milestones”.  Nice trio version, hard to go wrong with that song!  Sounds like Tommy Flanagan to me?  Subsequent research says that if I’m right, it’s from this:  https://www.discogs.com/release/11650362-The-Master-Trio-Featuring-Tommy-Flanagan-Ron-Carter-Tony-Williams-Milestones- which seems reasonable to me, especially in the case of the bass player.

4 – “Where or When” done by someone who listened to a whole lot of Coleman Hawkins.  Lovely, but not something I’d seek out.

5 – Wow, I like this, especially the string arrangement!  Looking forward to the reveal!  Would love to add this to my shelves if I don’t have it there already.

6 – I like this.  No ideas on who it is.

7 – Second “must have” for me.  This is a killer track.  Love the tenor player!  Sounds like Pharoah Sanders, though I don’t think it’s him. 

8 – Very interesting cut.  Curious to know who it is, and what else he/they has/have done.   Would like to have this on my shelves, and playing it for my grandson in a few years (he’s four now).  This could end up being an expensive BFT for me!

9 – “Afro Blue” by someone who took Kenny Burrell’s style and extended it.  Add this to the “must have” pile.  Man, what a BFT!  Loving the drums, really, loving all three instruments.

10 – Doesn’t work for me.  I just don’t get into the “gospelish” styles of music, even though I do have strong Christian faith.  Certainly well done for what it is.

11 – Yet another great track!  Is it a Chico Hamilton cut from that late 50’s era?  More research required.  I would bet I already have this on the shelves, if not, yet another one to add!

12 – Nice cut, breezy.  Likely a very well-known pianist leading the date.  Joe Henderson on tenor?

13 – Lost on me.  Pretty, though.

14 – Well outside my range.

Incredible BFT, so well put together, thanks!  Looking forward to the reveals, especially #’s 5,7,8,9,11.  Thanks again!

3 is Milestones but I don’t know by whom

5 - pretty sure this is the Andrew Hill with strings BN session. My favorite track so far…

6 - Man, this is a good one too. No guesses…

7 - 70s Sanders or Tyner type of vibes. Nice tune as well 

9 - Afro Blue but not sure who

10 - venturing out into a different style with good results. No guesses 

11 - Familiar tenor style not sure who though

14 - Not sure either but absolutely love it 

Thanks for putting this together! 

On 9/1/2022 at 10:48 AM, Milestones said:

1) J.J. Johnson: “Barbados” from Dial J.J 5–a first-rate version of the Bird tune.  Of course, just about anything by J.J. is first-rate.

True enough.

2)  I know this.  Such a lovely tune from the 50’s…at least originally.  Isn’t this a Gerry Mulligan piece?  Great arrangement.  That sounds a bit like Lee Konitz.  Not hearing Mulligan himself.

Konitz indeed, arrangement by Jimmy Giuffre.

3) “Milestones.”  There have been many fine covers of this great piece by Miles.  This is a superb piano trio version.  I know The Great Jazz Trio did this, but it’s clearly not that group.  Is it Billy Higgins on drums?  These guys are connected and they’re burning through it.

The trio IS really cookin', but it's not Billy on drums.

4) “Where or When.”  Nice tenor, channeling Ben Webster’s breathy tone.  I’m thinking it’s someone else, but maybe it is Ben.  It sounds like an older recording.

In my opinion, one of the great "unsung" tenors of all time, but not Ben.

5)  This sounds like Andrew Hill. It's a session that went unreleased for a long time.  It has strings, but I believe it’s just a string quartet.  Good session.  I like Hill and the whole group, including strings. Ah, it’s “Poinsettia.”

Right on!

6) Not sure about this one.  Bobby Hutcherson sometimes had a sound like this in the 1960’s, but not sounding like any Hutcherson I have (which is most of the Blue Note output). I like it, though it seems a bit too simple in terms of the rhythm.

It is oddly simple rhythmicly, but somehow "right" for the feel of the music. I love the vibist. Not Hutch.

9) “Afro Blue” on guitar--I feel I should know this.  Oh, it's John Scofield from the Roy Haynes record Love Letters.  Nice performance.

Totally correct.

10) “The Wedding” (Water from an Ancient Well)  by Abdullah Ibrahim.  One of the most beautiful pieces ever written by him—or anyone else!

You're SO right about this composition.

14) Ellington for sure, but I can't name the piece.

Ducal for sure, but Duke's not on it.

I may come back on the others.  I really like your choices.  I am finding considerable musical pleasure all through the BFT. 

On 9/1/2022 at 0:50 PM, randyhersom said:

This really flows with a subdued groove.  Well put together.
1.  A pleasant Yardbird Suite featuring a lot of trombone.  J. J. Johnson?

Not "Yardbird Suite" but it is a super JJ group.
2.  The tune has similarities at times to Social Call, but I don't think that's the tune.  Is it Gerald Wilson?

The feel IS similar to Social Call (I hadn't noticed that) but it isn't Gryce's tune. Altoist is well known and the studio band is led & arranged by a then West Coaster, but not GW.
3.  Is it Milestones?  70's or later I would think for how up-front the bass is recorded.  Cedar Walton?

It is "Milestones" but not by Cedar. Early 60's version has great work by a well known bassist and lesser known bop pianist and little known drummer.
4.  Breathy, seductive tenor.  the names that come to mind are Don Byas, Lester Young and Ben Webster.  I'll go with Don Byas.  Is the tune Where or When?

Where or When it is. Tenor is an underrated great, a bit more modern than those mentioned.
5.  I think we have cello and bass here, leaving me torn between Oscar Pettiford and Chico Hamilton.  The flute could be either Collette or Dolphy so Chico.

More advanced music from the Blue Note stable. Originally unissued by the label.
6.  That's Walt Dickerson with Sun Ra.  Album Impressions of A Patch of Blue.  Is it called Ham & Eggs?  Twenty-eight stars!

Great rating, but not enough stars!!
7.  More bone.  Slide Hampton?

Multiphonic trombonist, composer, with solid backing from all, especially one of my favorite tenors. Not Slide.
8.  Reminds me of New York, NY by George Russell which I think featured Jon Hendricks.  I don't think Jon was a Trane fan and it can't be that album because I think it preceded A Love Supreme.

Heavy, soulful homage to Trane, from noted instrumentalist performing the recitation. They meant every word.
9.  Afro Blue with guitar trio.  I'll be googling to see who has recorded this on guitar, but meanwhile I'll throw out Vic Juris as a wild guess.  I decided I would have heard it if it was Pat Martino.

Three famous cats, exploring in sync.
10.  Familiar and beautiful.  First thought is Abdullah Ibrahim.  The Wedding?

Right on, and SO right.
11.  Another all time favorite.  Soft and Furry by Johnny Griffin.  Was the album Change of Pace?

You got it!
12.  Largish band, and the trumpet shows off control in the high range.  Totally baffled.  My Hail Mary is Gerald Wilson again.

Again not GW. Much more modern players. Fiery trumpeter & tenor, from 10/01. Updated BN sound to me.
13.  Muted trumpet and flute provide lush settings for the piano.  John Hicks? 

Much earlier piece from the mid-50's, well before Hicks & Co.

14.  Damn that's a familiar tenor sound.  Gonsalves with the Duke??

Ducal for sure, though he's not on it- and the tenor isn't PG!

Album cover - cast of ancient primetime drama Room 222!

On 9/1/2022 at 1:16 PM, felser said:

1 – I like it and sounds like something I already own.  Early 60’s with that calypso beat?

I hope so! Late 50's super group with soon-to-be famous sidemen.

2 – Well done, but older style and more polite than what I really dig.

Famous standard featuring a famous altoist, and a WC arranger/reedman's studio band.

3 – “Milestones”.  Nice trio version, hard to go wrong with that song!  Sounds like Tommy Flanagan to me?  Subsequent research says that if I’m right, it’s from this:  https://www.discogs.com/release/11650362-The-Master-Trio-Featuring-Tommy-Flanagan-Ron-Carter-Tony-Williams-Milestones- which seems reasonable to me, especially in the case of the bass player.

Great bass, and a smokin' trio but not the above.

4 – “Where or When” done by someone who listened to a whole lot of Coleman Hawkins.  Lovely, but not something I’d seek out.

A quite famous, underrated tenor and a personal favorite of mine.

5 – Wow, I like this, especially the string arrangement!  Looking forward to the reveal!  Would love to add this to my shelves if I don’t have it there already.

From an originally unissued Blue Note Session, led by an iconic pianist/composer.

6 – I like this.  No ideas on who it is.

What's not to like! Vibist and pianist are well known by jazz standards. An odd combo, but it works.

7 – Second “must have” for me.  This is a killer track.  Love the tenor player!  Sounds like Pharoah Sanders, though I don’t think it’s him. 

Couldn't agree more with your assessment and reaction. One of my favorite tenors, but not Pharoah.

8 – Very interesting cut.  Curious to know who it is, and what else he/they has/have done.   Would like to have this on my shelves, and playing it for my grandson in a few years (he’s four now).  This could end up being an expensive BFT for me!

Heartfelt Trane homage. Recitation by a famous instrumentalist of the post-Coltrane entourage. Ditto, the tenorman.

9 – “Afro Blue” by someone who took Kenny Burrell’s style and extended it.  Add this to the “must have” pile.  Man, what a BFT!  Loving the drums, really, loving all three instruments.

Three cats really workin' out on a classic, all well known.

10 – Doesn’t work for me.  I just don’t get into the “gospelish” styles of music, even though I do have strong Christian faith.  Certainly well done for what it is.

Fair enough. I lack the faith, but love the music.

11 – Yet another great track!  Is it a Chico Hamilton cut from that late 50’s era?  More research required.  I would bet I already have this on the shelves, if not, yet another one to add!

Others mentioned Chico, but it's not his group! Tenor is more post-boppish with a strong, singular attack. A bit of an odd session for this solid, 'hot' player.

12 – Nice cut, breezy.  Likely a very well-known pianist leading the date.  Joe Henderson on tenor?

Not really. Trumpeter is the "leader" and the tenorman is "newer" than JH.

13 – Lost on me.  Pretty, though.

That's how I hear it, too. Mid-50's performance by a pianist/composer/arranger of some fame.

14 – Well outside my range.

Timeless music that never ages for me.

Incredible BFT, so well put together, thanks!  Looking forward to the reveals, especially #’s 5,7,8,9,11.  Thanks again!

On 9/1/2022 at 3:38 PM, Dub Modal said:

3 is Milestones but I don’t know by whom

Right you are.

5 - pretty sure this is the Andrew Hill with strings BN session. My favorite track so far…

Correct.

6 - Man, this is a good one too. No guesses…

An odd combo that really works on this one.

7 - 70s Sanders or Tyner type of vibes. Nice tune as well 

Not Pharoah, but a good guess. I hear why you thought so (I hadn't before). Good stuff!

9 - Afro Blue but not sure who

Right, again. Three pros who cover the decades well.

10 - venturing out into a different style with good results. No guesses 

I can agree with that. Soulful music.

11 - Familiar tenor style not sure who though

You're on to him, though. Give him another try.

14 - Not sure either but absolutely love it 

Me too!! Classic jazz.

Thanks for putting this together! 

Got some down time this week, time to carpe diem!

TRACK ONE -  "Barbados" I recognize. Sounds like a JJ Columbia record. That studio sound is pretty recognizable. As is Elvin! Guessing that's Bobby Jaspar? NOT guessing that it's Elvin LOL. Excellent cut from a fine group.

TRACK TWO - "Moonlight In Vermont", Konitz/Giuffre. That's a wonderfully subversive and seditious arrangement, making the case for a quiet and still dissonance (when you're not looking...). I bought that record for Warne, but soon enough fell for the whole thing. I'm not going to say "no collection complete without it", but I will definitely say that any collection is the better for having it.

TRACK THREE - "Moondance"? JUST KIDDING. No idea who id it, but it sounds older, vedry inside, a bebop way of playing a "modal" tune....which is quite often better, imo. Sometimes the math gets in the way of the music with the scalar cats. More tahn sometimes, to be honest.

TRACK FOUR - "Where Or When", a standard that I still like, it's surived the culling. Too many standards, a lot of them have outlived any real usefulness. Not this one. Lucky Thompson? That's a very "vertical"/Hawk approach both harmonically and rhythmically. But the tone is all his own, and that's the cap without which no uniform is complete. Total mastery. .

TRACK FIVE - OH yeah. Andrew from the One For One two-fer. "Poinsettia". Did we ever learn who did the string quartet charts? Was it Andrew himself? SO fresh, even today. I got this record right around the time it came out...couldn't play it enough...especially this side, I guess they only got those three pieces out of the date, but what three they were!

TRACK SIX - Walt Dickerson, has to be. Sounds familiar, but I'm drawing a bl;ank as to the record. Recognize the face, just can't remember the name...Really good.When I find out what it is, I need to go pull it out, that's how sure I am that I have it...but couldn't find it becuase I can't remember what it is. Hate it when that happens. Kudos to the bassist for holding that down SO steadily. Wait a sec...is that Ra? Ah....okay, yeah. Memory refreshed. That's a darn good record.

TRACK SEVEN - Sounds like a soul ballad, it's got a hook or two. I like that. And I think that's Clifford Jordan? Yeah, that's Clifford Jordan. Unmistakeable. So that would be Dick Griffin, who is a beautiful player, but whose intonation might give some people pause. But not me.

TRACK EIGHT - There's a lot of poems about Trane, and this is one of them. The delivery adds value, a lot of value. I set a much higher bar for the song-titles-strug-together type of poetry, and the delivery adds value in that there's a rythm to it, inflections and such. So, ok. Seems like there's other things to do now, but there's certainly worse things to do as well.

TRACK NINE - Sorry, but no thanks.

TRACK TEN - There's an Abdullah Ibrahim vibe here. Another one where I recognize the face but can't call the name. Is this what the future looks like? No matter, a lovely piece interpreted with grace.

TRACK ELEVEN - Chicago tenor evident from note one. Took a second or to for me to zoom in on Johnny Griffin. You can't hide love, right? But you can forget names...if not faces...again. Brilliant cut, though.

TRACK TWELVE - hmmm....Michael Ray on trumpet? No, this person has more chops, intervallic chops are STONG. Tenor player bugs me. Nobody else does, though.

TRACK THIRTEEN - It's (hopefully) a chamber piece, and as such is very nice. Not a lot to do with it jazz-wise, but they don't try to, so kudos for staying on point. Maybe some Made-For-TV movie could have used it?

TRACK FOURTEEN - Oh my GOODNESS!!! They all sound alike, but they're all totally different. And the tempos were always RIGHT. Johnny Hodges was a superior musical human being. End of story.

This was a groovy set, man. Very much appreciate it!

Wow! You nailed 10 by name, and commented perceptibly on the rest.

3. Bebop piano for sure. I love the bassist's drive in particular.

8. Recitation and backing catches the essence of JC, for me. Brings back memories and (my) deep sense of loss.

9. Oh well ... I tried ...

12. Right on about the trumpet (and I feel hesitant about the tenor, also).

Thanks for your knowing input. Glad you enjoyed it.

12 hours ago, jojazz said:

T.D.

3. Bishop it is! How 'bout the bass and drums?

Very nice performance all around! From the Black Lion album of the same name as the tune. I listened twice on Youtube and the BFT download before realizing that I (am a dunce and) own the album (on CD).:blink:  My computer speakers are crappy, but the bass and drums (Jimmy Garrison, G. T. Hogan) are exceptional on a full sound system. :tup 

Edited by T.D.

Track 01 - Barbados.  Obvously J.J. Ah, okay.  That's Elvin, so this is from Dial.  "Respectable" band is putting mildly.  Funny, when gleeful 14-year-old me told my friends I got to meet Tommy Flanagan, they just weren't that excited.  I don't get it.  It's interesting to hear Elvin *almost* rush the tempo on the fours section.  He's him, but he's not HIM, yet.

Track 02 - A tasteful arrangment of Moonlight In Vermont.  I don't fully recognize this.  Almost had me leaning Mal Waldron on the piano intro, but the rest of the fit is all wrong.  It's clearly Lee Konitz, but that sounds like Giuffre's arranging.  A little sleuthing turns up a YouTube link from a compilation with very little info, so I'll stop there.

Track 03 - Tune is obvious (though I swear my vinyl copy called it "Miles".  Snappy drums.  Okay, I know these guys, but not together, and it's throwing me.  Bassist is spending a lot of time in the middle range, but there's something about those strings that pinging and I can't find it.  Drums have taken me from Shelly Manne to Philly Joe, but neither is there.  Second listen:  that Walter Bishop, early.  That's clear, and I'm annoyed it took two listens.  I've gotten no further on the sidemen without cheating, so I'll stop there.

Track 04 - Where or When?  Okay, at 3 minutes he can't hide anymore -- that's Lucky.  Not sure the correct source, but I have it on the eponymous album, digitally.  Can't explain why, but I just love that cover.

Track 05 - I'm listening... That sure sounds like Andrew Hill's chord voicings.  Not sure if I've got this one in the archives or not, but I know it's One For One.  There will never be enough Andrew Hill.

Track 06 - Obviously Walt Dickerson, just need to parse out who and what.  Okay, Sun Ra, so it's Jazz Impressions of A Patch of Blue.  Ah, yes, Bacon and Eggs.

Track 07 - Huh!  No you don't. This was available at Loony Tunes for $1.99, used, or $1.88 new.  I bought the new.  Originally from Now Is The Time, easily one of the most played records in my collection.  Dick Griffin is highly underrated, particularly as a composer. He's also an incredibly nice person and provided me with one of the conversations I will cherish for the duration of my time on this planet.  A failing of humanity that this is not more well known.

Track 08 - Tune sounds like Spiritual.  Tenor is not giving me the tell-tale IDs I'm looking for.  Not Frank Lowe, which was where it seemed headed.  I'm in full sleuth land and coming up with nothing.  Did discover a Dwight Trible recording I need, but this isn't that.  Voice reminds me of the guy on the Mwata Bowden's 1 Foot In-1 Foot Out.  But it's not him.  I'm perplexed.  I should be able to get the tenor, but I'm not finding him. I is stumped.

Track 09 - Man, I want this to be a lot of things it isn't, and it's getting to me.  I want that to be Dave Holland, but it isn't.  No, it HAS to be.  Alright, deep dive into the interwebs, and I found it.  Roy Haynes from Love Letters.  I wanted to guess Sco, but figured it was my bias based on the test creator.  Just listen, fool.  It's CLEARLY Sco.  At least my faith in the humanity of Dave Holland's sound is restored.

Track 10 - You'll never believe it, but I had the song, composer from the first two notes.  This version is from Water From An Ancient Well.  I recall him telling Eric Jackson in an interview that he'd had a hit with this song.  Eric assumed he was speaking hyperbolically; he was not.  Really wish the world would discover his compositions.

Track 11 - J-Griff fools no one.  I know this from Live in Tokyo, but that version is much slower.  This is earlier.  I want it to be Abdul-Malik, but it's not.  Not even sure if I have this, but one can never go wrong wtih Johnny Griffin.

Track 12 - Not sold on the drummer.  Has the feel of the South African stuff from the 60s/70s but this is newer.  Feels like the drummer is out of element playing this constrained beat, and it makes it sound a little... not comical, but like a sitcom soundtrack.  More so when the tenor comes in -- precisely why I dread rock gigs.  Don't know the tenor.  Gun to my head, I'd throw out a guess of Winston Ngozi, but I don't think it's him.  That's Hugh Ragin.  So, this has to be one of his things I'm less familiar with.  That's Jaribu Shahid -- can't hide him once those syncopated lines around 5:10 start.  I know he did a record with Craig Taborn's trio, so I assume this is that.  I forget who the tenor is on that... Assif?  This doesn't sound like him to me, but could be -- the song really has an out-of-context feel.

Track 13 - Wait, I know the song, not the version.  I'm going to guess later Ellington.  That piano sounds like a beat up studio piano, though.  But the harmonies on the crescendo really sound like later Ellington (piano doesn't, at all, though).  Are you perhaps sneaking in a contemporary classical thing for all the reasons listed above?

Track 14 - Obviously Johnny Hodges (and Woodyard).  Not sure which of these records it is, but that's gotta be Jimmy Hamilton on tenor.  Piano ALMOST sounds like Ellington, so I'll guess Strayhorn.  Before Anatomy of a Murder, but not by much -- that's really what this reminds me of.

Couple of surprises, couple of unknowns.  Given that it began with, "You'll probably know 'em all," [no pressure], feel okay about this one.  Tim always says the same thing and somehow, half of it is always a mystery.

Change of Pace.  Christ!  How did I miss that?