Printer Recommendations

After one too many error messages from my piece of shit HP printer, I am ready to move on to something like an Epson, where I also won't continue to get gouged for vastly overpriced cartridges.

Does anyone have one and is there any need to go above the basic model that one refills ink from bottles?

Listen to me: Buy a Brother color laser printer.  I've owned one for more than 5 years without a day of trouble.  The toner it comes with will last you awhile.  Toner can be expensive, but you only need to change it every couple of years, and in total it's far cheaper than inkjet ink.  Print quality is great.  The only place it suffers is printing photos - they'll look "brochure-ish."  But if you need to print photos on photo paper, you can send those to Costco.  All in all, I've been very happy with mine.

I don't want the hassle of color printing, and have been using a Brother B/W laser printer for years. Admittedly I'm not a very demanding user, but have had good experience. I've also bought successor Brother models for co-workers at the office (I do the purchasing) because I couldn't find anything better for the price.

Edited by T.D.

I bought my daughter, a kindergarten teacher, an Epson "eco-tank" printer about 3 years ago. It used a bunch of ink, printed terrible color pages and died very quickly. She just replaced it with an HP ink jet printer because that's what I've been using for about 9 years now, admittedly with much less use than my daughter intends. :)

I did try to get her to spend the extra money for a laser printer, but she didn't think the extra money up front was worth it.

I've been using Canon Maxify GX7050 (this is the US equivalent, I guess: https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/maxify-gx7021?color=Black&type=New ) for a year and I am satisfied.

It gives you color double-sided printing, color double-sided multi-page scanning, two paper trays (I use one for double-sided and the other one for single-sided printing) plus a rear-side tray (e.g. for sticker paper or something). I have not used it for photo quality printing, can't comment on this. It prints and scans very fast. The ink lasts forever (these are not cartridges but ink bottles, you have to pour ink into a container).   

Edited by Д.Д.

In my previous life as an IT manager, one of my responsibilities was oversight of all company-issued desktop/laptop computer hardware and peripherals. We had large network printers, but invariably the company's senior executives would request local printers for their offices. We would recommend Brother color laser printers, but as their cost centers would get charged for the printer purchase and they wanted to pay as little as possible for a printer, they'd balk at the higher cost of the Brother models and ask for a cheaper inkjet printer instead. This would usually last until they realized how often they had to replace the ink cartridges and how much they were paying for them (I believe it was someone at HP who famously said that they were in the ink business, not the printer business), at which point we'd replace the cheap inkjet with a Brother laser and everyone would be happy. I've used an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier Epson inkjet unit at home for at least the past ten years, but I haven't had much of an incentive to switch as my wife frequently uses it for business purposes, so she is able to source ink cartridges through her employer.