Elvin Jones "Revival: Live at Pookie's Pub" 1967

Harbour

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, T.D. said:

This and nine Elvin Jones Japanese Blue Note CD reissues are scheduled for Nov. 18 arrival at "The Bastards".

Except that you can only pre-order this new release. The upcoming Japanese CDs have "Send Arrival Notice" on them, not pre-order. With their system, this button is pretty useless unless you just happen to get the E-mail right away and get your order in before anyone else. It's one of Dusty Groove's biggest weaknesses as a "go to" store for me. I'd rather pre-order them at CD Japan and know that I will get them rather than ask Dusty Groove to let me know that they are in, possibly after all of the stock is already sold.

8 hours ago, bresna said:

Except that you can only pre-order this new release. The upcoming Japanese CDs have "Send Arrival Notice" on them, not pre-order. With their system, this button is pretty useless unless you just happen to get the E-mail right away and get your order in before anyone else. It's one of Dusty Groove's biggest weaknesses as a "go to" store for me. I'd rather pre-order them at CD Japan and know that I will get them rather than ask Dusty Groove to let me know that they are in, possibly after all of the stock is already sold.

Sorry, I didn't notice that.

I successfully preordered a couple of Japanese discs from DG a few weeks ago, but have never tried a big order.

Checked the "coming soon" page this evening and DG seems to have removed [Added: all but one of] those 9 titles.

Edited by T.D.

6 minutes ago, JSngry said:

So as it stands now, CD Japan is the only "familiar" outlet  through which to preorder the CD, is that correct? 

FWIW, Dusty does seem to be accepting pre-orders on this…

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/126541

But then so does Amazon…

Revival: Live at Pookie's Pub https://a.co/d/dVHfPme

Wow, cheaper at Dusty (for now).

I get that CD Japan has deeper stock and thus likely a better fill rate than Dusty.  But I have used that "Send Arrival Notice" with pretty good success, no less than 75% availability.  Their pricing is decent and you don't have the shipping from Japan.  Having said that, I do frequent the Japanese Bastards™ fairly regularly.  Shipping seems reasonable and is pretty fast.

Edited by Eric

21 minutes ago, JSngry said:

DG price is minus shipping. Amacron Prime is as is.

DG usually wins me, just because, but in this case, hey, no surprises, I think, with Alacon 

Oh yes, forgot about that.  It must be very difficult to compete with Prime, easier for me to go there versus Dusty or Acoustic Sounds.  Like to support the Bastards™ though!

I pre-ordered Revival from Amazon, but also want Prime Element, which only CDJapan has up for pre-order at this point.  So may circle back to placing the whole order with CDJapan and cancelling the Amazon pre-order if Amazon doesn't ever put Prime Element up pre-order.  Also looking to see if CDJapan lists anything more between now and next month to add to an order there to offset the crazy shipping costs.  Or if importcds/popmarket gets around to listing these, I will go with them.  Three dimensional chess figuring out who to most cost-effectively buy this stuff from.  First World problem! 

11 hours ago, Eric said:

I get that CD Japan has deeper stock and thus likely a better fill rate than Dusty.  But I have used that "Send Arrival Notice" with pretty good success, no less than 75% availability.  Their pricing is decent and you don't have the shipping from Japan.  Having said that, I do frequent the Japanese Bastards™ fairly regularly.  Shipping seems reasonable and is pretty fast.

I put 5 of these new Elvin Jones CDs in my cart and totaled it up including shipping. I get $93.23 or $18.65 each. Dusty's CD price is $20 each and they don't ship for free.

I have the Elvin Jones Mosaic, but I might pick up the new (first CD) reissue of Prime Element, in case I ever decide to sell the Mosaic.  The 1969 session with Lee Morgan is one I wouldn’t want to be without.

I do like the rest of the Elvin Box (even those last few, kinda squirrelly studio dates on discs #5 & #6) — but I could probably survive with just a subset of it.

46 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

You can pre-order the Live at Pookie's 2CD set from Amazon. I already did. Right here.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BCNRBZ6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Indeed you can and indeed I have!

C'mon Pookie, get down outta that tree and come on inside. We got dinner waitin'!

21 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I am sure I am an extreme minority on this but for me, 20+ minute tunes with a Coltrane-era tenor is not a recipe for "gotta get it," the tune selection notwithstanding. 

Actually, I think Farrell is less Coltrane-esque than many of the tenors who played with Elvin. Not saying I will buy this but I am intrigued by the fact that there is a piano player in the group, another rarity in Jones's groups. I've never heard of Billy Greene. I will likely give it a listen on i-tunes. 

28 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I am sure I am an extreme minority on this but for me, 20+ minute tunes with a Coltrane-era tenor is not a recipe for "gotta get it," the tune selection notwithstanding. 

I'm excited about this release, but cautiously so.  It'll all be streamable in short order (release day, probably).  I'm at the point where, whenever possible, I try and fully-sample (i.e. listen to things either in their entirety, or at least more than half a release) anything before I buy it.  Part of it is monetary, but it's also a question of space too (I've easily got 500 more CD's than I really have space for at the moment).  Some things, clearly (like with Woody Shaw) are instant buys for me -- but it's been at least 5 years since I pulled out my Elvin Mosaic.  I've got it on now, actually -- I listened to the Prime Element session with Lee this morning, and I'm on to disc #5 and #6 now (the 'weird' albums).

There's definitely a better than 50/50 chance I'll get this new live Elvin thing, but it's probably not better than 65/35.  It's not gonna go out of print overnight, and I can easily spin it a few times off YouTube or from Pandora before I make a decision.  BTW, I still don't do (or buy) downloads much -- so, yes, space is a consideration.  But that also helps keep me from amassing so much music that I'll never listen to 90% of it more than 5 times each (or less) over the next 20 years.