Walt Dickerson on Avid

Tom 1960

This Is / Sense of Direction / Relativity

I think I can already anticipate some of the responses. I know some people are not a fan of the label. Some citing the sound quality is not always the best or close to the best. That said, I know some of you guys have made purchases from the label getting the biggest bang for your buck for the multiple sessions put together. I was listening to WKCR in New York recently and they featured on their Sunday Jazz Profile show the music of Walt Dickerson. I have to say I like what I heard and was interested in purchasing some of his early sessions. Unfortunately, the single issues can come at a steep price. So, looking at an alternative to shelling out some big bucks I was looking at this set. Any opinions? Thanks.

I've noticed especially in the last couple years as vinyl prices have soared that many once-common CDs like RVGs and OJCs are becoming more and more pricy. While developments like the Tone Poet series are quite welcome, the basic fact is that the near total majority of 20th century jazz is out of print on CD by the official rights holders, and will very likely remain that way in perpetuity. Maybe we'll get to a point where CDs lose their value entirely to the buying public and the prices will stabilize. But given the incentives of the current secondhand market, it's also possible that prices will only increase, or that if this happens many resellers won't even bother to list them online. I don't really know what this means for the long-term future of this music.

Long way around to saying that if you're interested in owning these albums at this point, I don't know what a good answer is. 

1 hour ago, colinmce said:

Long way around to saying that if you're interested in owning these albums at this point, I don't know what a good answer is. 

Sure you do. We all do.

"Owning" the albums...let's just all get over that if it means paying for other people to do what we can do for ourself.

If you want the object, then pay the price. Otherwise, develop a network of people who are kind to each other.

On 12.9.2022 at 4:33 PM, Tom 1960 said:

This Is / Sense of Direction / Relativity

I think I can already anticipate some of the responses. I know some people are not a fan of the label. Some citing the sound quality is not always the best or close to the best. That said, I know some of you guys have made purchases from the label getting the biggest bang for your buck for the multiple sessions put together. I was listening to WKCR in New York recently and they featured on their Sunday Jazz Profile show the music of Walt Dickerson. I have to say I like what I heard and was interested in purchasing some of his early sessions. Unfortunately, the single issues can come at a steep price. So, looking at an alternative to shelling out some big bucks I was looking at this set. Any opinions? Thanks.

I fully sympathize with your approach and find it sensible (regardless of what certain other usual supects may oppose as a matter of principle ... ^_^). I did the same thing some time ago with the set on Lem Winchester - for the same reasons, and have NO qualms. And as far as I can see they're even CDs - not CD-Rs as some other (purportedly more reputable) labels may trick you into or what "people" could do for you. ;)

As for the sound quality - I cannot speak for the entire series but I have a couple of others from that series where I already had part of the LPs included, and an aural comparison with the vinyl did not come out bad for that CD set, actually.

In short - go ahead and buy if you feel like owning them, if only to tide you over until you find affordable individual items (originals or older reissues or whatever else beyond this compilation you may have been thinking of). And then you can still relegate this set to your car CD player.

Not wanting to pick nits ^_^ but strictly speaking, it's legal by 3 quarters by European PD standards. As for why "3 quarters", the "To My Queen" album was recorded in September 1962, i.e. a couple of months AFTER the non-retroactively applicable 50-year cutoff date of European PD laws (meaning that whatever was in the P.D. after 50 years had passed by the time the new rules came into effect some time in mid-2012 REMAINS in the P.D. forevermore, regardless of the extension of P.D. protection in Europe for what was recorded later). But does anyone really think anybody at Concord would give a hoot about a possible infringement for this sole LP on that third-party re-reissue these days? So in the end it boils down to "Use it or lose it."

And as for whether someone outside Europe (and the applicability of Europan PD laws) should be buying these items, well, that's for each and everyone concerned to decide.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Not wanting to pick nits ^_^ but strictly speaking, it's legal by 3 quarters by European PD standards. As for why "3 quarters", the "To My Queen" album was recorded in September 1962, i.e. a couple of months AFTER the non-retroactively applicable 50-year cutoff date of European PD laws (meaning that whatever was in the P.D. after 50 years had passed by the time the new rules came into effect some time in mid-2012 REMAINS in the P.D. forevermore, regardless of the extension of P.D. protection in Europe for what was recorded later). But does anyone really think anybody at Concord would give a hoot about a possible infringement for this sole LP on that third-party re-reissue these days? So in the end it boils down to "Use it or lose it."

But even with the new "Use it or lose it" rule, "To My Queen", is still covered. It was issued on CD in 1996, so it would not qualify under this new rule until 2046 (50 years after last official release).