Bass Milt Hinton

Drums Sol Gubin

Guitar Bucky Pizzarelli

Reeds Pete Fanelli, Romeo Penque, Sol Schlinger, Joe Soldo, Bobby Tricarico

Trumpe tAl De Risi, Johnny Frosk, Bernie Glow, Marky Markowitz

Trombone Sy Berger, Urbie Green, Dick Hixson, John Messner

Harp Corky Hale

Percussion Bobbie Rosengarden

Violin Julius Brand, Fred Buldrini, Leo Cahn, Max Cahn, Paul Gershman, Harry Katzman, Leo Kruczek, Joe Malin, George Ockner, John Pintavalle, Max Polikoff, Matthew Raimondi, Aaron Rosand, Tosha Samoroff, Julius Schachter, Gerald Tarack

Viola Al Brown, Leon Frengut, Theodore Israel, Emanuel Vardi

https://discography.bloggingtonybennett.com/session/september-1-1967/

My Google-Fu isn’t coming up with anything at all for: 1) the song title as a specific string, plus 2) Moody but 3) without any mention of Bennett (and I also stripped out the title of another Moody song on some 32jazz-ish BS comp CD that has “coffee break” in the title of the CD, which includes another presumably unrelated Moody tune called “simplicity and beauty”).

Searching on this provides a couple dozen hits, but none of them have anything to do with James Moody the jazz musician.

Google search key: “coffee break” “james moody” -Bennett -Simplicity -Beauty

Edited by Rooster_Ties

40 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Why?  Tony was relatively plugged in for a pop-oriented jazz singer, or a jazz-oriented pop singer, depending on your politics.

Not really... more like a pop singer who went slumming. At least at the time it seemed like that.

Other than that, though...there was a process for getting songs placed on records like these, it's not like James Moody popped in to the Columbia studios one day and Tony said hey Moods, got anything for us today? Ya know?

I can think of two people who might have been a conduit, Teo Macero or Torrie Zito. But even then, you're picking tunes for a Tony Bennett record date in 1967, what,/who the hell puts THIS in the pipeline?

Or maybe Bennett heard somebody else do it, asked them to pass it along and he got Torrie Zito to do a chart and it got done? Whose tune is this Tony? James Moody. 

I'm delighted that whoever did it did it, but... recorded in 1967, not released until 1972... not anybody's priority, right? 

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

And the closer you get to either side of the turn of that decade, the truer that seems to get. It's like they were trying to empty it out so they could get him out of there. 

Do you know his 1957 album The Beat of My Heart with Art Blakey, Sabu, Chico Hamilton, and Candido?  The out-takes from that album sprinkled over years' worth of LPs, including the San Francisco album in the early 1960s. 

Yes and yes. But it sure seems like once Clive Davis came in that things got really weird for Bennet, like he would do one two "current" songs, and the rest of the album would be vault stuff of varying vintages.

Even the record that made him vomit used a version of "Something" that had been the title cut of an album of his just a year or two earlier 

Pre-Davis, that record of new songs had one cut on their that SCREAM 50s Columbia, Frank DeVol and industrial reverb. 

I'm not in any way a "fan" of Tony Bennett overall, but on any given record...a song, a chart, and his skill set can come together quite nicely 

Looking more deeply at that online discography/sessionography, it would be neat if somebody would reassemble all the mid 60s/early 70s records into session order. I do think that might be a more rewarding listen at this point in time. 

Any session where Torrie Zito did the charts is almost always going to stand out on whatever record the cut ends up on. 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Looking more deeply at that online discography/sessionography, it would be neat if somebody would reassemble all the mid 60s/early 70s records into session order. I do think that might be a more rewarding listen at this point in time. 

That went on throughout his career.  A leftover from one album would show up someplace a decade later.