Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark Stryker

Jazz Times: Kenny Dorham drops a sigh in 1961

5 posts in this topic

Thanks! :tup 

Honest (and strange coincidence), I've never done a ranking of KD solos but this might very well be my favorite.

20 hours ago, T.D. said:

Thanks! :tup 

Honest (and strange coincidence), I've never done a ranking of KD solos but this might very well be my favorite.

I've heard this from others too. 

Mark, Listening to a very large number of Kenny Dorham solos  would seem to be a huge task. I just now had the time to sit down and listen to the four favorites you selected.

Though I agree that Kenny's solo on "It Could Happen To You" and on "Old Folks" were highly thoughtful, and well constructed, they would not qualify as among my favorites.

The other two you selected  "Falling In Love With Love" and "Short Story", would certainly be on my favorites list.

Two other Kenny Dorham solos came to mind, so I pulled them off the shelf and listened to them. After hearing them just now, I am placing them on my list of favorites.

"Turquoise Twice" from Cedar Walton - Cedar - Trio, Quartet, Quintet - Prestige

"Off Monk" from Barry Harris - Bulls Eye - Prestige

I strongly suspect that if I had the time to listen to the countless other Kenny Dorham solos that have been recorded, I would find quite a few more to put on my list of favorites.

My favorite Kenny Dorham solo is on El Matador, where almost the entire solo is variations on the same short phrase, played with an amazing range of variation and feeling. Sort of sums up jazz for me.