Jazz Times: Kenny Dorham drops a sigh in 1961

My Chronology column for Jazz Times this month offers a  deep dive into my favorite solo by Kenny Dorham's solo -- "It Could Happen to You" (1961). Thanks to board member Michael Weiss for providing the transcription of the solo printed with the column. https://jazztimes.com/features/columns/chronology-kenny-dorham-drops-a-sigh-in-1961/

Mark, Listening to a very large number of Kenny Dorham solos  would seem to be a huge task. I just now had the time to sit down and listen to the four favorites you selected.

Though I agree that Kenny's solo on "It Could Happen To You" and on "Old Folks" were highly thoughtful, and well constructed, they would not qualify as among my favorites.

The other two you selected  "Falling In Love With Love" and "Short Story", would certainly be on my favorites list.

Two other Kenny Dorham solos came to mind, so I pulled them off the shelf and listened to them. After hearing them just now, I am placing them on my list of favorites.

"Turquoise Twice" from Cedar Walton - Cedar - Trio, Quartet, Quintet - Prestige

"Off Monk" from Barry Harris - Bulls Eye - Prestige

I strongly suspect that if I had the time to listen to the countless other Kenny Dorham solos that have been recorded, I would find quite a few more to put on my list of favorites.