Tina Brooks tribute cd

jazzbo

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I'm sorely tempted as it's interesting to hear these tunes played by a trio.  Tidal to audition first though. I only know Essiet, are the others know widely in US?

Thanks for posting this.

the pianist is also playing on that last Barbara Donald / Sonny Simmons album on Arhoolie from the early 90s... 

4 hours ago, bresna said:

Did they intentionally reduce the sound quality for their bandcamp playlist? The piano sound is not good and Essiet's bass is recessed and when you do hear it, it sounds like it was recorded in the early 80s. Overall, it sounds like they recorded this in a club without an audience.

I guess so.  I'm listening to this on Spotify via a pretty good Bluetooth speaker and sounds okay.

Generally speaking, this is a good piano trio recording -- Using Tina's compositions adds a nice touch, but I hope they could choose more attractive ones (such as "Street Singer", "Miss Hazel" or "The Waiting Game", etc.).

Edited by mhatta

2 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Thanks, I should have recognised the name in that case

:D I don't know... he was something like a rising jazz star 30 years ago, recorded with Sonny SImmons (also on American Jungle), had a leader album on Columbia (link), a quartet with Bunky Green, Ira Coleman and Tony Williams... a friend pointed him out to me a few months ago, that's how I remembered... Definitely a more successful career so far than Zarak Simmons who had a similar start in a similar place... but I don't think it's embarassing not to know the name...

anyway, playing this album now, thanks for the heads-up... it's nice but I do miss Tina a bit... 

12 hours ago, Eric said:

Interesting - Walker teaches in Fayetteville NC, which is Tina’s home town.  Wonder whether there is a connection?

Looking at Walker’s bio on his website, he got into jazz after touring with the Fatback Band. Looks like he’s really into studying the roots of the music and no doubt learned of Brooks being from Fayetteville. NC is the birthplace of quite a few jazz legends as most on this board are probably aware…Other than that I’m not seeing any other connection. Need to check this out though.

I was sampling/streaming the first few minutes of every track last night off Pandora, and I too wondered if it was a live recording.

Pandora doesn’t let you FF within a track, so I never heard the ends of any of the tunes (to hear if there was applause) — but I intended to follow up and see if it was all on YouTube later, to see if that was the case.

Definitely has that “recorded in a club” sort of acoustic to it — (which, in and of itself, is NOT a dealbreaker or anything).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

10 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Playing via Spotify on BT speaker and no issues with SQ…a quick comparison with the bandcamp album and it sounded the same. Doesn’t sound live and the bass isn’t recessed; piano fine as well. Sounds like a pretty decent studio recording actually. 

I'm streaming on Tidal and bass is right up there for me too, piano sounds good.  I'd say it might have a live feel but doesn't sound like a live recording, j ust nicely spacious and grooves along.

I like what I hear

9 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

I think it varies but I’m no expert. Digital jazz discographies are mostly a mess and it’s definitely not the genre du jour their main audience comes for. 

I know I see a mix of legit label items and those WTF origin-ed "albums" side by side. I'd like to think that the original albums are at least some sort of quality mp3 or higher, but...who knows? And nothing would surprise me, to be honest.

But I'm loving Spotify. If Pandora is like a radios station, Spotify is like a record store with a listening booth. And commercials, but good lord, I grew up on Top 40 AM. Commercials are like my briar patch.

I’m doing a free trial of Spotify premium right now and I have no complaints other than the fact there’s a lot of jazz it’s missing but nothing’s perfect and I think that’s true regardless of platform (same for reggae and other niche genres that aren’t current pop and related). It aligns with what Apple Music offers pretty much. I’m trying YT Music via trial next. Spotify’s artist radio stations are fun too. I’ll prob return to Spotify over Apple when it’s all said and done. 

26 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Bandcamp at least pays the artist a solid portion, unlike Spotify or Apple Music. I think Tidal is okay too but not as good for the artist as Bandcamp.

Earlier this year, March iirc, wasn't Bandcamp acquired by Epic Games (indirectly Tencent?). 

People were speculating that might affect Bandcamp's payout rate, but I never heard anything further.

On 2022-09-30 at 7:36 PM, JSngry said:

What type of files does Spotify stream? Is it constant across the platform or do they just work with what they can get?

It depends on the quality setting for playback, but Spotify requests lossless files from labels. But if you don care (e.g. PD labels) those files could of course be decoded MP3s.

https://artists.spotify.com/help/article/audio-file-formats