BFT 223 - NOW BOARDING!!!

JSngry

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With apologies, Jim -- I've been in home improvement project hell for most of the month.  If not for a text exchange with WebbCity today, I might have completely forgotten about this.

Track 01 - Pretty straight forward stuff.  Organ is VERY heavy in the mix, so I assume the leader.  The tenor players time suggests Jimmy Heath, but it's a bigger sound on the laptop speakers, closer to Gator, but not him.  Switching to ear buds to see if that helps.  Hmmm... that's a little cleaner, but that organ is still WAY too bright.  Love that fool-you ending.  Drums are quite busy, but no idea who.

Track 02 - I hope it's rooted in sarcasm.  I was listening to The Nylons, who do a great cover of the song being borrowed, yesterday.

Track 03 - Sure sounds like George Braith to me.  Organ is prominent here, as well, but it works a bit better to my ear.  Love the overall feel.  Not particularly deep, but I don't care -- it makes me happy.  Weird for me to say as a horn player, but the horn is the least appealing thing to me here.  That rhythm section sets up a great feel, but I want more done with it.

Track 04 - Dmitri from Paris?  Can't say I love it, but it also kind of works.  I was being cheeky with my original comment, but I'm going to go ahead and double down on it, because it's precisely the sort of thing DFP does.  Hard to tell what's being sampled because they've tweaked the sound so much, but first impressions were Mulligan w/Brookmeyer.

Track 05 - What my brain experiences internally whenever somebody puts on 80s cheeze metal like Foreigner or Def Leppard.  Wait, I take that back.  This is more serious than that, but not my thing.  Mix this with Yoko and THAT'S what my brain experiences when being forced to sit through either of the aforementioned bands.

Track 06 - Reminds me of Ahmed Abdul Malik's stuff on Prestige.  I find it interesting, but I have to be in the right mood.  I don't THINK this is that.  Kind of loses me just before the 3 minute mark.  No guesses other than NOT AAM.

Track 07 - Voice sounds like Amiri Baraka.  Perhaps the New York Art Quartet?  Could be Roswell.  Amiri sounds older here.  Nope, that's sure sounds like young Shepp.  Unsure, but I'm listening multiple times.  

Track 08 - Now, I know that vocalist.  AND that tenor.  Damn it.  Oh, Christ!  Of course.  That's Sonny with Earl Coleman.  I bought this when I was a kid for Ee-Ah, and even though I tended to not care for vocals (blame my old man), I always loved this.  And MAN!  I forgot how much Sonny is killin' it on this!  Great pick!

Can't say it's what I was expecting, which, I guess, is precisely what I was expecting!  Thanks, Jim!

On 10/1/2022 at 11:24 AM, felser said:

1“Two Different Worlds”.  Sounds like Johnny Hartman with strep throat, OD’d on Nyquil.   Good tenor solo.  OK piano solo.

:lol::lol:

Welp, after pawing through the comments, I guess I need to go back and dig out the New York Art Quartet recordings and lay ears on them, again.  Re-listening to track 1.  I would never have gotten the tune from this version, but I actually like what they did with it.  Also, COMPLETELY concur with your assessment of Sonny's work on that track.

16 hours ago, tkeith said:

With apologies, Jim -- I've been in home improvement project hell for most of the month.  If not for a text exchange with WebbCity today, I might have completely forgotten about this. We've all been there, and have lived to tell the tale.

Track 01 - Pretty straight forward stuff.  Organ is VERY heavy in the mix, so I assume the leader.  The tenor players time suggests Jimmy Heath, but it's a bigger sound on the laptop speakers, closer to Gator, but not him.  Switching to ear buds to see if that helps.  Hmmm... that's a little cleaner, but that organ is still WAY too bright.  Love that fool-you ending.  Drums are quite busy, but no idea who. Freddie Roach & Conrad Lester on organ and tenor.

Track 02 - I hope it's rooted in sarcasm.  I was listening to The Nylons, who do a great cover of the song being borrowed, yesterday. Not sarcasm per se, just showing that content and intent are not always equatable.

Track 03 - Sure sounds like George Braith to me.  Organ is prominent here, as well, but it works a bit better to my ear.  Love the overall feel.  Not particularly deep, but I don't care -- it makes me happy.  Weird for me to say as a horn player, but the horn is the least appealing thing to me here.  That rhythm section sets up a great feel, but I want more done with it. I did laugh at how it's a George Braith record, but there's no George Braith solo on this cut. 

Track 04 - Dmitri from Paris?  Can't say I love it, but it also kind of works.  I was being cheeky with my original comment, but I'm going to go ahead and double down on it, because it's precisely the sort of thing DFP does.  Hard to tell what's being sampled because they've tweaked the sound so much, but first impressions were Mulligan w/Brookmeyer. You've got the source material right, and I do know Dmitry from Paris, but this is not that. I really have no idea who did it, seriously. And yes, it does work! I wish that live players would pay attention to this type of thing, it's a solid grove and you can certainly dance to it. And you could get it going live, Imagine live jazz being played for dancing again!

Track 05 - What my brain experiences internally whenever somebody puts on 80s cheeze metal like Foreigner or Def Leppard.  Wait, I take that back.  This is more serious than that, but not my thing.  Mix this with Yoko and THAT'S what my brain experiences when being forced to sit through either of the aforementioned bands. I became COMPLETELY disoriented the first time I played this. Hell, the 50th time. And that's part of why it's here....

Track 06 - Reminds me of Ahmed Abdul Malik's stuff on Prestige.  I find it interesting, but I have to be in the right mood.  I don't THINK this is that.  Kind of loses me just before the 3 minute mark.  No guesses other than NOT AAM. Gil Melle with homemade electronics and a group of players that you've never heard of, So NOT AAM is totally correct!

Track 07 - Voice sounds like Amiri Baraka.  Perhaps the New York Art Quartet?  Could be Roswell.  Amiri sounds older here.  Nope, that's sure sounds like young Shepp.  Unsure, but I'm listening multiple times.  It's them, but not Shepp. And it is a later recording, a "reunion" album of sorts

Track 08 - Now, I know that vocalist.  AND that tenor.  Damn it.  Oh, Christ!  Of course.  That's Sonny with Earl Coleman.  I bought this when I was a kid for Ee-Ah, and even though I tended to not care for vocals (blame my old man), I always loved this.  And MAN!  I forgot how much Sonny is killin' it on this!  Great pick!

I'm a big fan of both Sonny and Earl Coleman, but this record, this cut....I had sort of forgotten about it. Revisiting it was a full shot of refreshed awareness!

Can't say it's what I was expecting, which, I guess, is precisely what I was expecting!  Thanks, Jim!

You're welcome, and as always, thanks for playing!