3. MEAN TO ME: 16.50

4. SPLIT KICK: 13.02

Disc: 2

1. FRIENDS' BLUES: 19.57

2. JUST FRIENDS: 19.56

3. STELLA BY STARLIGHT: 17.24

4. LES TOMKINS interviews TUBBY HAYES & SAL NISTICO: 18.13

CD Description

This first release in CANDID's new COLLECTORS SERIES is a previously unreleased double CD featuring the British tenor giant Tubby Hayes, caught here in scintillating form Live at the Ronnie Scott club, London in 1964. Sitting in with the maestro were visiting Americans Cat Anderson (in town with the Duke Ellington Orchestra) and tenor man Sal Nistico of the Woody Herman band together with the then rising young bass star Albert Stinson. Also on hand were the Swede Rolf Ericson (also with the Duke) and ace Scottish trumpeter Jimmy Deuchar - leader of the Quintet in Disc Two and a regular soulmate of Tubby's over the years. The double set is topped off with interview of Tubby and Sal conducted by producer Les Tomkins.

Can anyone comment on these two?

I do realise the Scott is off-topic here, but they're both on Candid and from Les Tompkins archives (or so they say) hence I though I'd ask about it here as well.

I've got the Tubby. It consists of several long jams, and the sound is good. The tracks with Sal Nistico are excellent, and it's interesting to hear Cat Anderson in this context. The "interview" at the end of disc two is casual, to say the least, but it's nice to hear Tubby and Sal's conversational voices. Recommended.

Sounds good, thanks!

Nistico is a player I have lots of respect for... though he's totally under-represented in my collection so far.

He digs into the music and he does know his way around the tenor sax!

I figured it must at least be interesting to hear him and Tubby play together.

Will get this one sometime soon.

Can anyone comment on the "Lament" disc, now that it's been out a while?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51MPZ5wOexL._SS500_.jpg

Inventivity

Disc: 1

1. INTRO BY RONNIE SCOTT TO: INVENTIVITY 16.28

2. OLEO: 14.39

3. MEAN TO ME: 16.50

4. SPLIT KICK: 13.02

Disc: 2

1. FRIENDS' BLUES: 19.57

2. JUST FRIENDS: 19.56

3. STELLA BY STARLIGHT: 17.24

4. LES TOMKINS interviews TUBBY HAYES & SAL NISTICO: 18.13

CD Description

This first release in CANDID's new COLLECTORS SERIES is a previously unreleased double CD featuring the British tenor giant Tubby Hayes, caught here in scintillating form Live at the Ronnie Scott club, London in 1964. Sitting in with the maestro were visiting Americans Cat Anderson (in town with the Duke Ellington Orchestra) and tenor man Sal Nistico of the Woody Herman band together with the then rising young bass star Albert Stinson. Also on hand were the Swede Rolf Ericson (also with the Duke) and ace Scottish trumpeter Jimmy Deuchar - leader of the Quintet in Disc Two and a regular soulmate of Tubby's over the years. The double set is topped off with interview of Tubby and Sal conducted by producer Les Tomkins.

Can anyone comment on these two?

I do realise the Scott is off-topic here, but they're both on Candid and from Les Tompkins archives (or so they say) hence I though I'd ask about it here as well.

I've got the Tubby. It consists of several long jams, and the sound is good. The tracks with Sal Nistico are excellent, and it's interesting to hear Cat Anderson in this context. The "interview" at the end of disc two is casual, to say the least, but it's nice to hear Tubby and Sal's conversational voices. Recommended.

Started into this one this morning, beginning with the Sal side (of course!), and so far, WHOEEEE! Both tenorists are in zones not usually represented in their commercial recordings, Tubby a rhythmic one & Sal a harmonic one. Fascinating listening, and a visceral delight just 'cause it swings so damn hard!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone heard this new release on Rare Music Recordings?

Addictive Tendencies

37929.jpg

Not that new jostber, I've had it for some time now.

It's part of series of recordings made by Tubby's drummer Tony Levin at various live gigs in 1966 and has good sound considering it was recorded on a reel tape. It brought back a lot of memories for me and is highly recommended.

• 4 months later...

Concurrent with his Warne Marsh/ Ted Brown in Hollywood 1957 release, Marshmallow Records (Japan) owner Mitsuo Jhofu advises he will also release a Tubby Hayes CD "The Shadow of your Smile" on 6/25. This is from 2 1966 BBC radio sessions with Mike Pine, Tony Levin, Ron Mathewson, Jeff Clyne, etc. with liner notes by Mark Gardner.

Mitsuo advises that US/Canada distribution will be through Eastwind Imports. He is currently working on UK, European distribution. Those interested can contact him direct through his Japanese site by hitting "Mail" written in English at the bottom of the opening page. This will give you his email address. He speaks and writes good English.

Q

Edited by Quasimado

There's also something in this month's Jazzwise about a lost Tubby Hayes 60s tape being recently found in Alfred Lion's garage !!! Presumably some long-lost Tempo era recording (presumably sent over to Alfred by Tony Hall?). Not sure about the details.

This was issued last month by Candid under the title of "Tubby's New Groove" and very good it is too!

Details are:

01 - Tin Tin Deo

02 - Visa

03 - Supper At Phil's

04 - Symphony

05 - Hook's Way

06 - The Trolley Song

Tubby Hayes - tenor sax

Terry Shannon - piano

Jeff Clyne - bass

Phil Seamn - drums

Recorded: December, 1959 London

and you're right, it WAS a tape sent to Alfred Lion by Tony Hall. Apparently it was found by Michael Cuscuna amongst the Lion archive sometime in the 1970's and it then lay in a box in his house until being rediscovered in 2008.

• 2 months later...

There was a post somewhere about a Jazz Couriers reissue (the Acrobat disc "Some of My Best Friends Are Blues"?) having this annoying "windows sound" (that can happen if you don't turn sounds off and do a lousy amateurish transfer - shouldn't happen if you enter through some kind of audio gadget, methinks).

Anyway, couldn't find that post anymore... what tunes are these sounds in?

I recently moved so don't have easy access to the disc, but it's rampant throughout the disc. I counted at least 5-7 instances, IIRC - possibly more...

Got to dig it out and give it a listen, then... I think there are only three or four tracks on it that I don't have elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

There's also something in this month's Jazzwise about a lost Tubby Hayes 60s tape being recently found in Alfred Lion's garage !!! Presumably some long-lost Tempo era recording (presumably sent over to Alfred by Tony Hall?). Not sure about the details.

This was issued last month by Candid under the title of "Tubby's New Groove" and very good it is too!

Details are:

01 - Tin Tin Deo

02 - Visa

03 - Supper At Phil's

04 - Symphony

05 - Hook's Way

06 - The Trolley Song

Tubby Hayes - tenor sax

Terry Shannon - piano

Jeff Clyne - bass

Phil Seamn - drums

Recorded: December, 1959 London

and you're right, it WAS a tape sent to Alfred Lion by Tony Hall. Apparently it was found by Michael Cuscuna amongst the Lion archive sometime in the 1970's and it then lay in a box in his house until being rediscovered in 2008.

Has anyone heard this? I was in Bull Moose Music up in Portsmouth yesterday and they had this on the shelf. Is it worth getting?

Kevin

• 9 years later...
  • 2 years later...