Tubby Hayes

Gary

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had read form the gents in the know on the AAJ that the Japanese Fotana re-issue from a few years back (that I have a CDR of) was taken from an inferior mono pressing in it's original form and that the re-issue suffers from much distortion that was not on the stereo master? i have no idea whether that might promote some sort of future issue of the date but apparently that and the "Mexican Green" were not up to snuff of what "could have been". just paraphrasing here...

• 1 month later...

IAN HAMER SEXTET With KEITH CHRISTIE/TUBBY HAYES/ALAN SKIDMORE/ALAN BRANSCOMBE/DICK MORRISSEY et al

Picked this up at Downtown Music Gallery a couple of days back. More Tubby is always a good thing.

Read about it or search for it online at http://www.downtownmusicgallery.com

http://www.downtownmusicgallery.com/Main/n...2005-01-21.html

I'll try to post a review when I can get access to a CD player.

Someone over at AAJ recently said that M. Cuscuna relayed info about Alfred Lion squirreling away in the vault a bunch of tape copies of Tempo masters, and wondered aloud if they might contain unissued material....and about the possibility of a Hayes/Complete Jazz Couriers Mosaic Select using Tempo/Carlton material. Sounded interesting. I should find that thread.

• 5 months later...

Someone over at AAJ recently said that M. Cuscuna relayed info about Alfred Lion squirreling away in the vault a bunch of tape copies of Tempo masters, and wondered aloud if they might contain unissued material....and about the possibility of a Hayes/Complete Jazz Couriers Mosaic Select using Tempo/Carlton material.  Sounded interesting.  I should find that thread.

Of course! Tony Hall and Alfred Lion probably had a tape exchange going as a by-product of the 'Blues In Trinity' session by Tubbs, recorded under Hall's juristiction in London. Tempo session in disguise !

Great news on the Tubby Hayes front. Looks as though Universal UK are going to reissue a whole load of Tubby Hayes Fontanas this fall. Amongst the titles I know about are the following:

'Return Visit' (with Roland Kirk)

'Mexican Green' ( :crazy::excited: )

'100% Proof'

'Tubbs Tours'

not sure about 'Tubbs' but I suspect it might be in there too.

Looks like these will be taken from original stereo masters and not (as with the Japanese '100% Proof') from a mono source.

My local Jazz dealer showed me the release paperwork from Universal so its happening, brothers ! Standby to standby with your plastic at Dusty Groove.....

I was definitely sleeping at the switch regarding that Ian Hammer Sextet two cd set.  Found out about it last week and ordered it from caiman this weekend. . . will be fun to hear new (to me) Tubby!

You will enjoy it. Some very nice Tubby on it, not to mention choice playing from Ian Hamer. Some of the material is very much in a jazz-rock vein too.

Great news on the Tubby Hayes front. Looks as though Universal UK are going to reissue a whole load of Tubby Hayes Fontanas this fall. Amongst the titles I know about are the following:

'Return Visit' (with Roland Kirk)

'Mexican Green' ( :crazy:  :excited: )

'100% Proof'

'Tubbs Tours'

not sure about 'Tubbs' but I suspect it might be in there too.

Looks like these will be taken from original stereo masters and not (as with the Japanese '100% Proof') from a mono source.

My local Jazz dealer showed me the release paperwork from Universal so its happening, brothers !  Standby to standby with your plastic at Dusty Groove.....

:excited::excited::excited::crazy:

This is great news!!!!!

If these upcoming releases in the UK were SACDs, I'd be ecstatic. As it is, I just bought these expensive CDs from Japan. I won't be buying them again. Oh how I wish these labels would put out more SACDs. Don't they realize it's an easy way to get new buyers? Just these 4 titles would get my money for SACDs... in a second.

Later,

Kevin

I used to think that the more recent the remastering effort, the better it would be. As the years have worn on, I am not finding that to be true in many cases. I am particularly disappointed by the number of recent remasters where the audio is clipped because the levels are too high. This clipping tends to fatigue me after 30 minutes or so. Granted, this phenomena seems more prevalent in the rock & roll world, but it is everywhere lately.

To date, I have only had one SACD that I didn't think was an improvement over the standard CD. I like that about SACDs. They just sound better to my ears.

As "bad" as the Japanese version of "100% Proof" is reported to be, I didn't find it too bad at all. I actually thought it sounded fine. Mono, sure, but not hissy or boomy... just mono. Quite honestly, many people might prefer the mono mix on some dates. There seems to be a huge number of Beatles fans who pay exorbitant $$ for mono LPs. The same goes for Blue Note sessions.

As I said, I'd love to commit to buying these upcoming reissues, and if I hadn't just paid big bucks for these Japanese versions, I'd be jumping for joy. However, I did just buy them and the sound on them isn't bad enough to make me re-buy them. If they were SACDs, I'd pre-order them! :)

Later,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

I used to think that the more recent the remastering effort, the better it would be. As the years have worn on, I am not finding that to be true in many cases. I am particularly disappointed by the number of recent remasters where the audio is clipped because the levels are too high. This clipping tends to fatigue me after 30 minutes or so. Granted, this phenomena seems more prevalent in the rock & roll world, but it is everywhere lately.

To date, I have only had one SACD that I didn't think was an improvement over the standard CD. I like that about SACDs. They just sound better to my ears.

As "bad" as the Japanese version of "100% Proof" is reported to be, I didn't find it too bad at all. I actually thought it sounded fine. Mono, sure, but not hissy or boomy... just mono. Quite honestly, many people might prefer the mono mix on some dates. There seems to be a huge number of Beatles fans who pay exorbitant $$ for mono LPs. The same goes for Blue Note sessions.

As I said, I'd love to commit to buying these upcoming reissues, and if I hadn't just paid big bucks for these Japanese versions, I'd be jumping for joy. However, I did just buy them and the sound on them isn't bad enough to make me re-buy them. If they were SACDs, I'd pre-order them! :)

Later,

Kevin

Assuming we have these Fontana Tubbs reissued in their original glorious stereo versions, then Mexican Green has to be the prime target, followed closely by 100% Proof. To have heard the latter only in mono is not really to have heard it in all its true colours. 100% Proof in stereo will blow your head clean off to borrow a well-worn cliche. Return Visit aka Tubby's back in Town is excellent too but again needs to be heard in stereo as do they all. I was disappointed with the mono versions of 100% and Return in the Japanese pressings and the mastering of Tubbs was not all that good, generally. But to have these albums reissued in the UK after all this time is very, very welcome and especially in this the 70th anniversary year of Tubbs' birth. For these and more news of other Tubbs "new" releases checkout http://www.geocities.com/tubbs1935

:party:

Return Visit aka Tubby's back in Town is excellent too but again needs to be heard in stereo as do they all.

Roger, I have Tubby's "Return Visit" on a gold CD from the Smash label. I believe it's in stereo. It's sounds very good to my ears. Do you have this version as well as the Japanese CD?

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Yes thanks to your timely email I managed to buy what I guess was the last copy of that limited edition gold CD of Tubby's back in Town (aka Return Visit). I also had the Japanese mono version but the gold Smash CD is excellent. Thanks again for the heads up on that one.

I do not have "Mexican Green" on LP. Roger, you have this on a stereo LP... how does it compare to the Japanese CD? As I said above, I thought these Japanese remasters sounded OK. Maybe the stereo version of "100% Proof" might pry my money out of my hands, but would it really be worth it for "Mexican Green"?

Later,

Kevin

In the night, on Down in the village, is a great modal tune, superb album, nice vibes too. Try Gilles Peterson Impressed one and two, the best in british jazz, inc Don Rendell, Ian carr, Tubby, Mike Westbrook, two fabulous cds, especially Dusk Fire, very deep and haunting, and Blue Mosque, beautiful , paul

Interesting comments about the mono 100% Proof. I have this one on a good original Fontana mono LP and it sounds excellent to my ears. Perhaps the transfer which was done to CD was less than optimal. In any case, as long as it is around the £10 mark I'll probably pick up the stereo CD when it comes out (don't have the Japanese issue).

I have no complaints re: the Jap CD issues of 'Tubbs', 'Tubbs Tours' and the two disks recorded at Ronnie Scotts.

Edited by sidewinder

Interesting comments about the mono 100% Proof. I have this one on a good original Fontana mono LP and it sounds excellent to my ears. Perhaps the transfer which was done to CD was less than optimal.

Maybe you can get your hands on a copy of this Japanese CD to compare? I imagine Roger might be able to help you find a "listener's copy". I'd be curious as to what you think. No one seems to know what the Japanese reissues had for source material.

Later,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan