Tubby Hayes

Gary

Interesting comments about the mono 100% Proof. I have this one on a good original Fontana mono LP and it sounds excellent to my ears. Perhaps the transfer which was done to CD was less than optimal.

Maybe you can get your hands on a copy of this Japanese CD to compare? I imagine Roger might be able to help you find a "listener's copy". I'd be curious as to what you think. No one seems to know what the Japanese reissues had for source material.

Later,

Kevin

The Japanese CD of Mexican Green is good - the LP version is definitive - not sure how it compares with the Mole one - I think I have all three(!) - the Japanese CD of Tubbs Tours is good and. The Japanese CD of Tubbs is not so good, maybe due to a defective master. The Japanese CD of 100% Proof is good but as I said, is in unglorious mono. You only realise what you're missing when you compare it with the stereo version. Even my reissue LP (stereo) version of 100% Proof on the cheapo Philips label is - to my ears - better than the mono Japanese CD because you get to hear lots more and in different places. In other words you hear the arrangements clearly and spatially defined. Hopefully the forthcoming UK reissues will all be as good as the previous 'Redial' two reissues on CD in the UK about five years ago, Down in the Village and Late Spot at Scotts which were excellent. What I would really like to do is hear Tubbs Tours and 100% Proof in some large, soundproofed room with professional quality hi-fi at about 100-200 watts. As it is I can only hear them on pathetic 20 watts, 'amateur' quality lo-fi. They're still great though!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are now available for pre-ordering at amazon.co.uk price £7.99 due August 8.

Go!

Aaarghh! You don't want to know how much the Japanese imports cost me - especially after the Mexican Green one was snapped up by entrepreneurs almost immediately and then sold on eBay - at shall we say a rather exobitant price? - three years later - ouch!

These are now available for pre-ordering at amazon.co.uk price £7.99 due August 8.

Go!

Aaarghh! You don't want to know how much the Japanese imports cost me - especially after the Mexican Green one was snapped up by entrepreneurs almost immediately and then sold on eBay - at shall we say a rather exobitant price? - three years later - ouch!

Tha Japanese ones are cute though! But if you aren't sentimental, there's just time to get over to ebay, maybe, before they devalue?

Edited by David Ayers

Tha Japanese ones are cute though! But if you aren't sentimental, there's just time to get over to ebay, maybe, before they devalue?

Cute? Valuable? Tell you what, if you want, if these UK reissues come in a jewel case, I'll swap you one-for-one for the Japanese mini-LP version of "Mexican Green" and "Tubbs Tours"! :)

Of course, I am assuming you had tongue firmly planted in cheek when you wrote this.

I do hate these cheesy cardboard sleeves on these Japanese CDs. "Cardboard" is actually a misnomer with these... it's better calling it "thick paper".

Later,

Kevin

I do hate these cheesy cardboard sleeves on these Japanese CDs. "Cardboard" is actually a misnomer with these... it's better calling it "thick paper".

Certainly not quite the usual Japanese paper sleeves.

Maybe the Brits w/ the original vinyls can confirm - I was told that these are EXACT replicas of the way that Fontana made the sleeves back in the sixties. Hence some of the reasoning that these old relics are in such demand if pristine?

Don't forget the new set of BBC Transcriptions from Art of Life Records

One of my friends has heard some of them and he tells me they are outstanding.  Paul tells me he expects to have them in stock in a couple of weeks.

Is this the same music found on Ember EMBCD 009 ... "Tubby Hayes: Portrait"? This CD contains 1 track from the Jazz Couriers, and 20 tracks from grups lead by Toney Kinsey (6 tracks) and Tony Crombie (14 tracks), recorded as "mood music" by Jeffrey Kruger, the founder of Ember Records in 1959 and 1961.

Edited by garthsj

The new Art of Life cd is not the same as the Embers cd. It is four sets of transcriptions done by the BBC for broadcast in Spain, all from 1965. The material was recently released, in inferior form, on Harkit, but that release has been withdrawn because it was unauthorized.

I just received my copy yesterday, and it is outstanding. Paul did an amazing job with the remastering, and the package is excellent, with unpublished photographs and a 12 page essay by Richard Hyla.

"Tubby Hayes: Portrait"?  This CD contains 1 track from the Jazz Couriers, and 20 tracks from groups lead by Tony Kinsey (6 tracks) and Tony Crombie (14 tracks), recorded as "mood music" by Jeffrey Kruger, the founder of Ember Records in 1959 and 1961.

those Crombies were actually the soundtrack cues to 'Man From Interpol'.

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I just wanted to quickly chime in how impressed I'm with Tubby Hayes on the Dizzy Reece select which arrived earlier today. Tubby is a name I've heard of, but knew absolutely nothing about till now. I'll definitely make use of some of the suggestions here. Sorry to revive a long dormant thread. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I have a lot of Tubby Hayes recordings, I am also one of those lucky people who saw him regularly at Ronnie Scotts old club. He performed with Ronnie as the Couriers and also in various other combination of his own bands. He also performed with visiting american musicians. He would switch instruments to get the best from a melody, tenor, alto, flute, vibes and sometime baritone. I picked this vinyl up the other day "Transatlantic Alliance" for £5.00 and it has Hayes on Baritone.

Other artists who appear on the album are.

Victor Feldman,

Jimmy Deuchar,

Ronnie Scott,

Dizzy Reece,

Lennie Bush,

Tony Crombie,

and on tracks where Felman plays vibes,

Terry Shannon,

Kenny Napper,

Phil Seamen,

Hayes playes plays such good solos you would think it was his first instrument. What a strange album title for this group of musicians

• 2 months later...

Just listening to the recent 4CD Proper compilation of Tubby Hayes called 'The Young Giant'. As well as some stellar Tempo material on their with Dizzy Reece, Ronnie Scott etc. there's rare airchecks too. Of note - a 1956 BBC 'afternoon light music' broadcast (presumably for the housewives' afternoon tea break :huh: ) of Hayes' Orchestra playing material such as 'The Yellow Rose of Texas'. Priceless !

There's also a great little booklet with fine notes by Tubb-ologist Simon Spillett and rare photos of the various bands. I'm not usually a fan of Proper but I've made exception for this one.

Edited by sidewinder

• 7 months later...

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the Columbia reissue The New York Sessions. Perhaps that's because it's long oop and quite hard to find. Still, this compilation of tracks from Introducing Tubbs and Tubby the Tenor served as my introduction to Hayes, and they remain some of my favorite recordings by him.

Up. Just lucked out and found a used copy of Tubby Hayes "NY Sessions" on Columbia tonight at Half Price Books, and I'm blown away by how good this is! This is the second time I've spun it tonight. I guess I'm confused about this set being a "compilation" of two albums, namely, "Tubby the Tenor" and "Introducing Tubbs", as all dates listed are 10/3-10/4 1961, and Tubby the Tenor, appears here complete, whereas Introducing Tubbs' track listing does not match the track listing on the back of the cd. The cd says the remaining tracks are "bonus" tracks. Both albums are Epic titles though, which I did not know, and the original covers are waaaaay cooler than the lamo Columbia Jazz Masterpiece cover. I posted the covers of both original albums below.

Besides, NY Sessions, I only own the "Tubbs" Fontana in that goofy thin paper sleeve replica of the original Fontanas and Dizzy Reece's "Blues in Trinity" which was my first exposure to Tubby. He made an impression on me on Reece's date, but NY sessions, aka Tubby the Tenor, is superb!

post-5045-1198130195_thumb.jpg

post-5045-1198130207_thumb.jpg

Edited by Holy Ghost

I just wanted to quickly chime in how impressed I'm with Tubby Hayes on the Dizzy Reece select which arrived earlier today. Tubby is a name I've heard of, but knew absolutely nothing about till now. I'll definitely make use of some of the suggestions here. Sorry to revive a long dormant thread. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I second this. He's a very notable, enjoyable player - as I was listening in the car, I had to grab the cover - "who is this tenor player?!?"

There is more Tubbs around these days than anyone can keep up with - an amazing change over the last few years! One which thrills me is Addictive Tendencies on Rare Music, a live double. Evan Parker is quoted in the notes as calling it 'the best Tubby Hayes I have ever heard'. Be that as it may, it is a very exciting one. The sound quality is what it is, as is the overall time.

CR0000000001_mnp.jpg

Tubby Hayes (saxes) with Mike Pyne (piano); Ron Mathewson (bass); Tony Levin (drums).

CD 1:

[1] Walkin' [13:24]

[2] Tubby's "A Little Work Out" announcement [00:14]

[3] Tubby's "I Have A New Quartet" announcement [2:11]

[4] Alone Together [25:53]

[5] Tubby's announcement [00:21]

TOTAL PLAYING TIME: 41.23

CD 2:

[1] Tubby's announcement [00:19]

[2] Off The Wagon [20:33]

[3] Tubby's announcement [00:12]

[4] When My Baby Gets Mad Watch Out [12:30]