Tubby Hayes

Gary

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This set is out now. I don't know what has previously been issued, but it doesn't overlap with any Tubbs which I currently have access to. I'll admit that I've got no real grasp of the Tubby discography, but anyway the contents are:

Tubby Hayes and the Jazz Couriers feat. Ronnie Scott Tempo TAP 15

An Evening with Tony Kinsey Ember EMB 3337

The Jazz Couriers in Concert Tempo TAP 22

London Jazz Quartet Tempo TAP 28

plus two tracks each from

Tony Crombie/Ronnie Scott Jazz At The Flamingo Ember EMB 3337 [?? same as above ??]

Tony Crombie and His Men [one track Coumbia 33SX1119, other unreleased (??)]

Does that help?

This set is out now. I don't know what has previously been issued, but it doesn't overlap with any Tubbs which I currently have access to. I'll admit that I've got no real grasp of the Tubby discography, but anyway the contents are:

Tony Crombie/Ronnie Scott Jazz At The Flamingo Ember EMB 3337 [?? same as above ??]

Does that help?

Do you know if there's any overlap with the Proper box?

gregmo

Does that help?

gregmo

There are two tracks in common, the 1956 'Jazz At The Flamingo' tracks. Otherwise no overlap, as far as I can see.

FWIW, the Tony Kinsey Ember album and TAP28 which was under Crombie's leadership are said by the liner-writer to have been made as mood music and to be deliberately 'underplayed'. Older British listeners may even feel that they subliminally recall this music as it was used for test-card accompaniment on TV, back in the back of beyondness. Those sides are pretty muted and, while I hesitate to suggest it in a completist's heaven such as this, are maybe not a priority, though there are deft contributions by Tubbs (and by Deuchar on the Kinsey) which bring a bit of life to one or two of the tracks from those two LPs. I won't be going back to them often, I suspect. The two Jazz Couriers LPs (TAP 15 and TAP 22) are of course very good, so the set is a curate's egg and the transfers are pretty basic.

Edited by David Ayers

This is a bit of a mess, it seems... the Jazz Couriers releases are a mess in general.

I have a CD titled "Some of My Best Friends Are Blues" (Acrobat Music AMCD 4265, 2007) that contains TAP 15 (missing an alternate take of "On a Misty Night" from the first, Aug. 8, session) and TAP22 (plus "The Serpent" which wasn't on that album).

Then I have "The First and Last Words" (Jasmine JACD 626, 2001)

The whole Aug. 8, 1957 session is on there (including the alternate take - which was on TAP17 originally, titled "Speak Low").

The main part of that disc is TAP26 (titled "The Last Word").

In addition, there are two tunes from a "Top Spot Tunes un-numbered 45 rpm single-sided cardboard disc" ("Monk was Here and "Last Minute Blues", two short tracks from poss. mid 1958 w/Hayes, Scott, Shanon, prob. Bates, prob. Eyden).

So I'll skip this new set, I guess...

This is a bit of a mess, it seems... the Jazz Couriers releases are a mess in general.

I have a CD titled "Some of My Best Friends Are Blues" (Acrobat Music AMCD 4265, 2007) that contains TAP 15 (missing an alternate take of "On a Misty Night" from the first, Aug. 8, session) and TAP22 (plus "The Serpent" which wasn't on that album).

The whole Aug. 8, 1957 session is on there (including the alternate take - which was on TAP17 originally, titled "Speak Low").

In addition, there are two tunes from a "Top Spot Tunes un-numbered 45 rpm single-sided cardboard disc" ("Monk was Here and "Last Minute Blues", two short tracks from poss. mid 1958 w/Hayes, Scott, Shanon, prob. Bates, prob. Eyden).

Sounds like you have all you need. You'd kick yourself if you bought it for the other stuff.

Sounds like you have all you need. You'd kick yourself if you bought it for the other stuff.

Yeah, I guess I'd rather look for the Fresh Sound disc by the Couriers eventually.

Though I don't have the Kinsey and London Jazz Quartet albums... how are those?

I guess this is all more on the conventional side (rather like the Proper, not like Tubbs' Fontana albums from later on)?

Yeah, I guess I'd rather look for the Fresh Sound disc by the Couriers eventually.

Though I don't have the Kinsey and London Jazz Quartet albums... how are those?

I guess this is all more on the conventional side (rather like the Proper, not like Tubbs' Fontana albums from later on)?

The Kinsey and London Jazz Quartet sides are really for completists only. As I was saying above, they were made as mood music and used as background when BBC TV was airing the test card. So while there are nice touches here and there these are pretty much for historical interest only, unless you are fanatical about the history of light music, in which case - dive right in!

Edited by David Ayers

The Kinsey and London Jazz Quartet sides are really for completists only. As I was saying above, they were made as mood music and used as background when BBC TV was airing the test card.

Me likey 'Cheekie Chappie' :D

I think 'London Lament' sounds fab!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jazz-Genius-Flamingo-Era-Part/dp/B003F9CTJS

Does anyone have any opinion on the Rare 2 cd release "Addictive Tendencies"? Is this worth seeking out?

It is outstanding. Great performances though the live recorded sound is 'of its time', so to speak. Evan Parker is cited as calling it the best Tubbs he ever heard. He rests my case.

Thanks. How 'bout the Harriott - Live at Harry's 1963, also on Tony Levin's label?

Does anyone have any opinion on the Rare 2 cd release "Addictive Tendencies"? Is this worth seeking out?

It is outstanding. Great performances though the live recorded sound is 'of its time', so to speak. Evan Parker is cited as calling it the best Tubbs he ever heard. He rests my case.

Thanks. How 'bout the Harriott - Live at Harry's 1963, also on Tony Levin's label?

I don't have that one...

Does that help?

gregmo

There are two tracks in common, the 1956 'Jazz At The Flamingo' tracks. Otherwise no overlap, as far as I can see.

FWIW, the Tony Kinsey Ember album and TAP28 which was under Crombie's leadership are said by the liner-writer to have been made as mood music and to be deliberately 'underplayed'. Older British listeners may even feel that they subliminally recall this music as it was used for test-card accompaniment on TV, back in the back of beyondness. Those sides are pretty muted and, while I hesitate to suggest it in a completist's heaven such as this, are maybe not a priority, though there are deft contributions by Tubbs (and by Deuchar on the Kinsey) which bring a bit of life to one or two of the tracks from those two LPs. I won't be going back to them often, I suspect. The two Jazz Couriers LPs (TAP 15 and TAP 22) are of course very good, so the set is a curate's egg and the transfers are pretty basic.

Thanks!!

gregmo