Porgy and Bess

mgraham333

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really love the Davis/Evans...my favourite of their discs.

The following recent release is also really enjoyable...a post 2000 take on the Davis/Evans score:

95195.jpg

Paolo Fresu - trumpet

Nguyen Le - guitar

Antonello Salis - piano, Rhodes, accordion

Furio Di Castri - double bass

Roberto Gatto - drums

Dhafer Youssef - voice, oud

Does anyone remember a version with Ray Charles and Cleo Lane?

The interesting thing about this recording is that they were NOT in the studio at the same time .. each recorded their parts separately ... it is hard to detect this from listening to the album though.

A favorite - unfortunately out of print - is the 'Modern Interpretations of Porgy and Bess' LP by Buddy Collette that was recorded back in 1957 for Interlude. The rhythm section was Jim Hall, Red Callender and Louis Bellson with Pete Jolly featured on the accordion and doing a very effective job.

Also - nobody's mentioned that one yet - the Ella and Louis album on Verve. This one had great moments too!

How did we overlook Ella and Louis!

Still, I think that I have to contend that the full opera is very interesting to experience. . . There is a lot of material that does not get jazz treatments, just as there are big chunks of the Miles and Gil that aren't from the opera! :huh: The 1951 "cast" recording really is the best I've heard. . . .

OK, let me try this again (I tried posting a shile ago and wipped it out somehow). I, too, really dig P & B. I think the music's beautiful and the story moving; people who take issue with it are doing so for reasons that have little, if anything, to do with the work itself. I love Miles & Gil's interp and Bechet's "Summertime". The fact that "Summertime" in particular has supported so many widely varying versions is evidence of it's strenght as a work. I also have the 'cast' recording pictured above by Jazzbo/Lon. Quite good in a v. 'as intended' by George sort of way. At 3 LPs it has the full score, including the recitative (the sung narative that makes it an Opera, not 'merely' a musical). At $2.00 it was quite a deal too! I would've loved to have heard the Atlantic Records roster of the '60s have a go at it: Aretha as Bess, Otis as Porgy and the Wicked Picket as Sporting Life. Makes more sense to me than the Wiz, but what do I know...

At 3 LPs it has the full score, including the recitative (the sung narative that makes it an Opera, not 'merely' a musical).

Was it originally performed with the recitative ? I know it's been performed that way for a couple of decades but for some reason I'm under the impression that although Gershwin wrote it that way it was originally perfomred with spoken dialogue between the songs. Maybe I think that because an opera troupe in the 70's made a big deal about using the recitative. Surely the Cab Calloway production that toured in the 50's (60's?) didn't include it. Or did it?

OK, I looked around a bit and what I found out is this: George originally (1935)conceived of it as a proper opera with recitative, but it has often been performed with all or some of that cut and spoken dialogue instead (the 1941 stage version that was it's first success and the film version with Sidney P.). In fact I think it wasn't done in full score by an Opera company til the '70s.

I really enjoy "Oscar Peterson Plays Porgy and Bess" (the Verve release, NOT the Pablo date with Joe Pass that I heard is just awful - Peterson plays the harpsichord on this one!) Unfortunately, this disc has been OOP for several years now.

Edited by Edward

OK, I looked around a bit and what I found out is this: George originally (1935)conceived of it as a proper opera with recitative, but it has often been performed with all or some of that cut and spoken dialogue instead (the 1941 stage version that was it's first success and the film version with Sidney P.). In fact I think it wasn't done in full score by an Opera company til the '70s.

Thanks. I did some research in a bio of Gershwin but it wasn't clear about the original production. From your research I take it that even the original production was done with dialogue not recitative.

The source I looked at wasn't clear on the use of recitative v. spoken dialogue in the original (1935) Broadway production. But since that was a relatively short run, the more successful 1941 use of spoken dialogue seemed to have more of an impact that has only relatively recently been replaced by a return to Gerge & Ira's 'original intent'. Personally, I think they should drop the 'blacks only' requirement and let peoples do it any old way they feel like, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms...

I'm waiting to hear the Carmen Mcrae/ Sammy Davis Jr. version. Jazzmatazz has had the "Complete Carmen Mcrae/ Sammy Davis Jr. on Verve" listed as an upcoming set for literally years.

Anyone know if it will ever see the light of day?

• 1 year later...

I'm waiting to hear the Carmen Mcrae/ Sammy Davis Jr. version. Jazzmatazz has had the "Complete Carmen Mcrae/ Sammy Davis Jr. on Verve" listed as an upcoming set for literally years.

Anyone know if it will ever see the light of day?

Came out a couple of months ago, at long last... I'm listening to it right now. Working on a Night Lights show about the 1950s jazz revival of P & B and just came across this thread today, which mentions several of the versions that I'll be using:

Miles/Gil

Ella/Louis

Hank Jones

Mundell Lowe

The MJQ (came out in '64, but I'm probably going to include it anyway)

Bill Potts

Carmen/Sammy

The Bethlehem version (which I must admit sounded awful when I first put it on... but it's grown on me a bit and has its moments. An editorial comment on Amazon claims that this 1956 version spurred the many that followed... true? I thought it stemmed more from the advance publicity for the film that finally came out in '59.)

Didn't know about the Buddy Collette... that sounds good indeed. I'll keep an eye out for it.