How do you choose your avatar?

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chaney

OK, trivia questions in the spirit of this thread.

1. Who has never changed their avatar?

Might you be a contender?

I've changed mine a few times but I've always gone back to my original avatar.

Might you be a contender?

I've changed mine a few times but I've always gone back to my original avatar.

OK, you caught me. My avatar's never changed from Newk recording The Bridge. Still, I'm wondering if anyone else, from Day One, has kept their same avatar?

I promise I don't know any answers for any of my other questions!

2. Who has never had an avatar?

3. Who has changed their avatar the most?

I'm not saying I know the answers ... I don't.

I have never used an avitar until this week :huh: . It's a photograph I made of Lou Donaldson a few years back. Now that I know how to change them, I will make changes now and then.

Mark

Brandon, was your previous avatar a self-portrait?

2178395921206l.jpg

This one? If yes then......yes.

you're scary! :ph34r:

Well.......I hope this one--despite my stocking cap--is less "scary". This is me at the Royals game on Saturday. (We won in extra innings, by the way. And I ate a jumbo hot dog.) :tup

Brandon,

I will be in attendance at the June 4 game vs. the Red Sox, any chance you'll be there???

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

My avatar is in honor of one of the greatest and most historical jazz clubs EVER! Minton's Playhouse in NYC. While Minton's has been closed for quite sometime, it is now preserved as an historic landmark so the greedy developers can't get their hands on it. It is part of the Hotel Cecil, which is now housing for Single Room Occupancy folks.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:HT1B.../~lw5/m1948.jpg

Oops....I've got to figure out how to correctly add an image to the body of the email...back to the drawing board! What I did try to post was the famous William Gottlieb photo of Monk, Teddy Hill, Howard McGhee, Roy Eldridge standing outside of Minton's - I think the photo was taken in 1948.

Marla

Guest Chaney

Oops....I've got to figure out how to correctly add an image to the body of the email...back to the drawing board!  What I did try to post was the famous William Gottlieb photo of Monk, Teddy Hill, Howard McGhee, Roy Eldridge standing outside of Minton's - I think the photo was taken in 1948. 

Marla

m1948.jpg

min_big.jpg

Edited by Chaney

What was the address of Minton's Playhouse? I know it was 52nd street. I worked on 52nd and Broadway for 2 years. I never bothered looking for the building.

If I'm remembering correctly, Minton's was in Harlem, and not part of the 52nd St. scene.

My latest avatar choice is, i believe, based on a "Weird-Ohs" model kit from the 60's. There was a spin off of Big Daddy Roth's stuff and some crazy vinyl one color shots of crazy characters in weird poses called "Nutty Mads" but i can't seem to find any reference to the beatnik. Any help is appreciated as to what these really are. I'd love to have this baby on the shelf!!

I did find some LPs-:D

bdrothweirdosback.jpg

bdrothsillysurfback.jpg

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Ok, here it is: 206-210 W. 118th St.

Doing a search for "Minton's Playhouse" turns up a lot of references (and photos!) to/of stickball. The joint seems to hold some fame in that area as well. Anybody got the skinny on that bizness?

My latest avatar choice is, i believe, based on a "Weird-Ohs" model kit from the 60's. There was a spin off of Big Daddy Roth's stuff and some crazy vinyl one color shots of crazy characters in weird poses called "Nutty Mads" but i can't seem to find any reference to the beatnik. Any help is appreciated as to what these really are. I'd love to have this baby on the shelf!!

I did find some LPs-:D

fegh, that's wack! looks like Gotlib somehow, he did some more monstrous stuff as well.

fg120.jpg

Tony, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where did you get your photo of Minton's Playhouse? Looks like the windows are red for Christmas (I can see the Santa perched atop the front of the Hotel Cecil)>

Minton's is at 118th and St. Nicholas in Harlem. It is a shell inside, other than the famous mural.

Several attempts, including one by Robert DeNiro back in the late 90's, were made to reopen, but none have been successful to date.

There are several videos out with very good glimpses inside of Minton's. Unfortunately, those glimpses are of Minton's as it is today; not as it was in it's heyday. I believe the American Masters documentary on Monk (available as a DVD) uses Minton's a lot throughout the film (place is bare other than a piano that was brought in for filming).

Minton's Playhouse had their own stickball team when Minton's first came on the scene (before Teddy Hill ran the place).

If you look at the famous picture of Monk, Eldridge, McGhee and Hill, you can see they are standing by an awning. That awning is no longer there and today, that door is kind of cemented. There is a newer neon sign (which you can see in the photo of Minton's). Thank goodness Minton's has been declared an historic landmark, so no NYC developers can rip it up or tear it down!

I am fascinated by the history of Minton's, particularly the times when Monk (and then Horace Silver with Tony Scott) led the house band. I read somewhere that when Horace, Doug Watkins and Arthur Edgehill were the house trio, Blakey, Kenny Dorham and Hank Mobley would visit Minton's to sit in and...that edition of the Jazz Messengers was born! Very, very exciting time in jazz history - all in that little club.

Marla

• 7 months later...