Any new guitarist on the scene worth listen to.

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bev - I think I saw somewhere that Robson was about to start a tour with Genus and Hart!

He's certainly out and about in the UK at present.

I know he played in New York a while back.

Played his last CD, 'Impish', again today. Beautiful, varied disc. Lovely version of Shorter's 'Iris'.

Someone I'd much rather hear than Scofield (I know, comparisons are unfair). The Impish disc does English folk-jazz, freebop, eastern jazz (sort of Davy Graham meets John McLaughlin) and some beautiful Jim Hall-ish tracks.

Strongly recommended.

[Nice interview with Robson in this months Jazz Review - I like his catholic approach to jazz!]

Edited by Bev Stapleton

yep Joe, you definitely are a fine player, and of course you already know what I think of the two compositions on the record :) Kurt is an interesting player, I've been meaning to check out Heartcore for a while, last month when I was at the Virgin Mega on Union Square in NY visiting a few friends on a campus bus trip, my friend Daniel and I were browsing the jazz section and heard part of the record, there was some pretty wild free blowing on tenor on one cut, and Kurt's phrasing was interesting, and since Daniel is also a fellow Metheny nut, he noted "he sounds like Pat", which I would agree with to the extent that he has that linear/angular sort of thing, and plays sort of like a sax, but Kurt from what I heard, is a unique writer.

I concur 100% with all the previous comments regarding Joe's playing. The thing that strikes me about his playing immediately, is that he can create a range of different emotions/feels with his instrument. It's not all high energy funk (nothing wrong with that of course). There are other sides to his playing. A rare thing these days. Keep it up, and do find time to collaborate with like minded musicians that inspire you!

You guys have a good thing going. Continued good luck and best wishes. Hurry up with that 2nd album! I just reorganized my CDs and have plenty of room in the "O" section. The ball is in your court. B)

Edited by Sundog

David Gilmore plays with Christian McBride I believe, and also worked on Wayne Shorter's album High Life. He's been around a while. This thread seems to be part new players and part obscure players that are new to some of us. That's cool though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you Sundog!

David Gilmore plays with Christian McBride I believe, and also worked on Wayne Shorter's album High Life. He's been around a while. This thread seems to be part new players and part obscure players that are new to some of us. That's cool though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you Sundog!

I thought he might have been. You know he had that 'seasoned' look about him....the uphill paper round look.

Cool guy though.

Last weekend I played with a guitarist with whom I was previously unfamiliar. His name was Freddie Bryant, and he was outstanding. I guess he's done some things for the Fresh Sound label as well as recorded with Tom Harrell (on Paradise) and Steve Wilson. Real tasty player.

Anyone familiar with this guy? Joe? Jim?

Robson.jpg

Just in case anyone is even remotely interested you can hear the Robson/Hart/Genus trio on BBC Radio 3's "Jazz on 3" programme on Friday, 16th April. Goes out at 11.30 p.m. UK time (that's teatime in the States I'd imagine!) but is streamed for the following week.

No info online at the lime of writing but everything you need will be here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazz/jon3/jon3.shtml

• 1 year later...

How about Randy Johnston? I've only got one of his discs (In-A-Chord), but he's pretty funky ... this particular CD also features Joey DeFrancesco, Eric Alexander, and Mickey Roker.

Randy is far and away my favourite among the post '70s players. I have all nine of his own CDs, and probably most of his sideman stuff so far. To me, he embodies the SPIRIT of Grant Green, while sounding very different - though as Chrome says, v funky. He has that same enthusiasm for playing that you could always feel with GG.

Bobby Broom, as lots of people have said, is pretty good - I like him with the Deep Blue Organ Trio as much as on "Modern Man".

Rodney Jones is good, too, when he's on, which seems to be about half the time. Check out "Right now" and "Soul Manifesto Live" (much more enjoyable then "Soul Manifesto" (dead)).

Peter Bernstein sounds too much like GG.

So does Grant Green Jr (Greg Green), but in a sense he's entitled to. After all, if your Dad was GG, and gave you LESSONS, who else are you gonna sound like? But I do like "Back to the groove" (PaddleWheel) and "Jungle Soul" (Venus).

MG

Last weekend I played with a guitarist with whom I was previously unfamiliar. His name was Freddie Bryant, and he was outstanding. I guess he's done some things for the Fresh Sound label as well as recorded with Tom Harrell (on Paradise) and Steve Wilson. Real tasty player.

Anyone familiar with this guy? Joe? Jim?

I missed this post first time around. No, I don't believe I've heard of him, but I'll keep an ear out.

MG

Bernstein's playing rarely reminds me of Grant, at least overtly. He's got a lot of Jim Hall in him, too, and plenty of his own thing.

MG

Bernstein's playing rarely reminds me of Grant, at least overtly. He's got a lot of Jim Hall in him, too, and plenty of his own thing.

I was going to say the same thing. GG's influence is clearly there, but to my ears, Peter's got his own sound.

MG

I was going to say the same thing. GG's influence is clearly there, but to my ears, Peter's got his own sound.

Well, perhaps it's because I tend to hear him with organists.

MG