Any new guitarist on the scene worth listen to.

Hardbopjazz

don't want to get everyone mad, as usual, Stowell is a great player BUT - like almost all "jazz" guitarists I hear he seems afraid of the sound of an ELECTRIC guitar - the way he plays it it's just an acoustic amplified - most of you jazz guys are just too afraid - it's either parlor-time or bad solid-state synth - DO NOT BE AFRAID -

Edited by AllenLowe

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't want to get everyone mad, as usual, Stowell is a great player BUT - like almost all "jazz" guitarists I hear he seems afraid of the sound of an ELECTRIC guitar - the way he plays it it's just an acoustic amplified - most of you jazz guys are just too afraid - it's either parlor-time or bad solid-state synth - DO NOT BE AFRAID -

Well, I certainly am not afraid to explore the electric guitar's potential. I've been playing for 18 years and I've always been fascinated by the electric guitar. Whether it be effects, amplifiers, guitar synthesizers, I'm pretty adventurous, but that all changed many years ago when I heard Jim Hall for the first time and my mind was blown. Hall has such a simple sound, but is beautiful in its sparity of effects. He might have a little reverb, but that's it. Hall has finally through the years picked up a few pedals like a Digitech Whammy pedal and a few others. It's interesting that he refused effects for so long, but now I think they can help you create your own sound.

When you hear guys like Hall stomp on an effects pedal, it's refreshing, because people don't usually associate him with anything but a guitar and amplifier. I think effects are crucial to my own sound, but I don't go overboard with them. Reverb, delay, and sometimes distortion is all I really need.