Any new guitarist on the scene worth listen to.

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you checked out Bobby Broom?  "Stand" is a great cd!

That's a pretty good CD. As a matter of fact, I was just having a discussion about this very CD at lunch today with a fellow music lover. He does some interesting covers on that album including House of the Rising Sun if I'm not mistaken. Worth checking out.

A player not exactly new to the scene, however he's not widely known, is Anthony Wilson (of Diana Krall fame). A fine swinging player in the Jim Hall tradition. Very much his own man though.

Throw an ear across the Atlantic to the marvellous Phil Robson. Up to now he's been working on the UK scene but he's starting to play in heavy US company. Last year he did a concert at Cheltenham with Wayne Krantz. He's just recorded a CD with James Genus, Billy Hart and Marc Copland. I'm very much looking forward to seeing him next year month playing with Drew Gress, Tom Rainey and the UKs Liam Noble. He does the classic jazz guitar thing but can also zoom off into McLaughlinland. A great accompanist with his partner Christine Tobin.

http://www.babellabel.co.uk/The%20Babel%20Label-2445.htm

An even rarer name - Yorkshire's Mike Walker. He's been playing for years and every time I've seen him he's been astounding. Only sideman dates so far but I heard he's finally putting out a solo record soon. Hear him on Julian Arguelles' CDs.

Hope this isn't too parochial!

Anyone heard Adam Rogers' CDs on Criss Cross and can recommend 'em?

His new one "Allegory" is one of my favorite releases from 2003. The music really shows off Rogers' compositional skills. There's lots of compositions with rapid tempo shifts and unique song structures. I would call it "highly advanced post bop". You won't really find any songs that will have you humming the melody after you hear it, but I don't think that's the purpose. The musicianship is stellar. Rogers is one of the best guitar players on the scene IMO, and the album contains some of Chris Potter's best playing on record. The rhythm section, Ed Simon, Scott Colley and Clarence Penn, is brilliant. I highly recommend this one.

Seriously not trying to be a "homer", but nobody has mentioned Joe G. Joe is a relatively conservative player with a very fine melodic/harmonic aptitude. I expect a bunch more from him if personal concerns allow. He is a very fine player.

I understand I have heard more of him than most on the list, but he is a player.

Los Angeles has two brilliant young guitarists in Larry Koonse and Anthony Wilson. Koonse is the son of veteran studio and recording scene maven Dave Koonse, and Anthony is the son of bandleader Gerald Wilson, and can be heard at present accompanying Diana Krall.

Larry seems to be the guy everyone wants on their gigs, and the experience he has gained playing with a variety of groups (including a unique trio of Bob Florence, piano, Kim Richmond, alto sax, and Larry) stands him in good stead. I think he has a huge future.

Jack Tracy

Joe's got some deep shit waiting to come out. Hopefully we'll get to some of it on this next record. I wish he and I could just take a month off from everything and sit in my basement for 8 hours a day and just come up with shit. He's a fountain of ideas.

Surprised no one has mentioned Kurt Rosenwinkle. Joe played some of his latest for me a few weeks ago and it was very very interesting. I need to get a copy and listen under headphones... if I ever get any time. :)

Surprised no one has mentioned Kurt Rosenwinkle.  Joe played some of his latest for me a few weeks ago and it was very very interesting.  I need to get a copy and listen under headphones... if I ever get any time.  :)

I was gonna mention him. I've gotten interested in his stuff lately- he writes some very engaging tunes- not overly "guitaristic" at all. I like that he doesn't flaunt his technique at every turn, too.

And Jim, you and Joe should just plain MAKE time to hang and work your shit out. No matter how busy you guys are, that's just too important to put off- having someone around who actually inspires you (and I'm sure it's mutual) is too rare and worth making time for!

A guitarist deserving more attention is Pete McCann. He has a couple of discs out on Palmetto and is also well featured on the two New York Nonet discs I've heard (lead by Jim Cifelli). Some may find him overly influenced by Bill Frisell by I don't hear it that way. He also takes part in the Palmetto release Duke's Motivation, with Matt Wilson, David Berkman, Joel Frahm, and Ben Allison, an Ellington tribute that has become one of my favorite cd's of the past few years.

Another guitarist a little off the radar and playing in a more traditional approach that I think I think deserves more exposure is Clay Moore.