Gimme Indie Rock!

Guest akanalog

it looks like slint just wants to make some $$$ to me.

like when the pixies came back last year or whenever.

when these groups come back without any new material, can't truss it.

I actually just discovered a bunch of music I missed when I started to listen to more jazz than "indie/alternative".

Tortoise, especially their first self titled.

Sea and Cake

Sam Prekop

On the whole most of the stuff I've found from the 90's chicago prog-rock scene is great.

Including Chicago Underground Duo who are more jazz than anything else imho

soooooooo much "indie" crap is straight up pussy music, a term i don't use lightly but the recreative genius of, say, the Detroit Cobras (or Dirtbombs-- hot gals & hot black dude respectively) blows ALL this white & uptight nascent yuppie pap straight to hell.

'aint that the truth

"penis rock" as my friends and I call it :crazy:

ghost-- the azerrad book is OK but very misleading... he's too square to pull off the real history &/or too lazy to have done the real research, by far (like 97% or more) would have to be done by interviews & rigorous pursuit of ephemera...

slint-- as one of the few who wrote postitively of "spiderland" at the time, i hate those motherfuckers now. thee most overrated record of its time (underground version), pajo's insipid solo career & their inane reunion "prove" it. granted, it provided a non-song based template for wankers who did not-- as i didn't at the time-- know prog but like 80% or more of that shit comes straight outta Crimson...

petra haden-- sings harmony on a Goatsnake tune! as someone who followed "indie" crap since '83-- & that's a little late in the game too, i know-- & remember, said crap was never even called "indie" 'til waaaaaaaaaaaaay later (late '90s?)... METAL is a common void in otherwise active listeners...

dinosaur (first press of "your living all over me" w/o the jr yo): i WAS smart enough to follow up on Dino & their Venom t-shirts but it's only fairly recently i came to love "At War With Satan" etc etc... but they KNEW then & J. is a fucking GIANT among boys as a musician. lou saved his ass after an increasingly desultory solo career; CT is correct in recognizing Gaffney-- at the time, Seb III & Spiderland were among the hot sides of the season... Sun City Girls, Dead C, Tall Dwarfs too...

soooooooo much "indie" crap is straight up pussy music, a term i don't use lightly but the recreative genius of, say, the Detroit Cobras (or Dirtbombs-- hot gals & hot black dude respectively) blows ALL this white & uptight nascent yuppie pap straight to hell.

CT-- get all four Texas Instruments albums that are easily avail used & ask around for their first, never digitalized lp too. that one is a little erratic but... you wanna do a SERIOUS rediscovery?

ask around for David Woody. fell off the Austin radar & the planet when TI suprisingly gave in to years of diffidence (& awesome gigs at the Austin Outhouse, RIP... it was just down the block from Flamingo auto repair at 38th & Lamar if that's still there) & a then more recent ill-advised dalliance w/a bullshit talking hard stoner "manager." previously, he was the guy who managed Daniel Johnston, put out the Stress cassettes, etc so he'd earned a decent amount of goodwill but as an actual manager manager...

GHOST-- fuck Azerrad (the Buttholes chapter was OK), thee book, thee WEIRD book but less misleading-- "Rock & The Pop Narcotic" by Joe Carducci. then try to find a library w/Forced Exposure from 7/8 (Sonic Youth, '85) onward... look for old issues of Slash too...

this is a pretty good Black Flag article--

Jay Babcock-Black Fag

B-Squared: have you gotten the BBC4 Mark E. Smith documentary yet? it's going around the circuit, quite good.

Q: did the LAFMS get a mention in Azerrad? if not, fuck him twice. he gets credit for DOING it, that's all, but the troof is i personally know five-ten-fifteen people far more qualified, smarter, better writers/listeners etc but they went on to other things, or died.

Five GREAT bands 2006: High On Fire, Comets On Fire, Melvins (still), The Fall (still), Reigning Sound

Q: when's Tortoise going down in the plan crash? A: not soon enough (hopefully slumming Will Oldham won't be w/'em.)

xxc

I am right there with you with Comets on Fire. :tup

I haven't heard any of the Detroit Cobras' records, but I saw them open for Rev Horton Heat and they SUCKED. I haven't seen a band suck that bad on stage ever. I was all psyched to see them for all of the accolades heaped on them, but man did they not deliver.

Drive By Truckers best living band? Drive By Truckers best anything? How about best band to play the parking lot behind the Soapbox Lounge. Or best band to play AU frat party 2005? Come on man. That statement alone almost discredits everything you just said. Are you a War Eagle, or what?

I still say y'all should be considering Califone.

I wonder what Tortoise is going to sound like with Bonnie.

and shouldn't it be "Negative B Squared"? It's in parens.

I'm not saying I don't like Drive By. Matter of fact, they get lots of play around here. You go to a party, you're going to hear Drive By shows, or the occasional studio.

Calexico never hits me the right way. Can't say I'm a fan of their stuff, though they do have some nice acoustic guitar/vibraphone things going here and there. I wouldn't buy an album, but I'd buy a ticket to their show. Sam Beam, I'd love to see. Columbia, SC right? Quiet town, quiet man. I like his playing. So yeah, stringing Iron & Wine, Calexico, and Califone together makes a little bit of sense. Rutili did a mini tour with them.

Who are the rich kids from Louisville? I don't usually judge a musician by his background, but I would be interested to find out who you're talking about.

And thanks for the recommendations. I do try to follow-up on a lot of the stuff you throw out here. Its just so damned much, and sprawling too! Found Sun Tunnels in a used bin a couple of months ago. I like it.

p.s. I hope the (not really) was attached to the "self-hatin' southern man" and not the "...sorry". I got nothin' ta prove.

see you in the backyard, brah (you forget, I'm coastal. round the marsh, its pronounced brah.)

Edited by .:.impossible

soooooooo much "indie" crap is straight up pussy music, a term i don't use lightly

So is Bill Evans and Duke Ellington as well, I suppose. Rock has many different flavors, just cause you clearly do not get it dosn't mean it should be dismissed. And where did you hear Beck was a scientologist?

I must say I agree about the Truckers though. They are just plain insane, with unbelievable songwriting and flat out rocking skills.

Of course, I love Death Cab too.

Has anyone gotten the chance to hear a band called "Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!" ? A buddy of mine who is really into indie rock played it for me and they sounded really good.

I heard it playing at a cd shop a few months ago and thought it was a Neutral Milk Hotel that I hadn't heard. Then I saw the disc on the "now playing" display.

I know it doesn't matter, but man for some reason I really hate the band name.

B-Squared: have you gotten the BBC4 Mark E. Smith documentary yet? it's going around the circuit, quite good.

is this directed toward me? if so, no. do tell...

secondly: interesting, your take on the Animal Collective. Sung Tongs was really godamned good. acidic enough to burn your retinas yet definitively NY. as psychedelic records go, i'll say that's the most wildly original thing since Mercury Rev Boces. and i don't particularly like Mercury Rev, by the way...i just want to give credit where its due. (let's be honest, Boces is a seriously f*cked up record, man.)

back to AC: i'm embarrased to say that i already wish they we're "like they used to be"...and it's only been two years since ST. like you say, though, they're still figuring out who they are, then again, they also seem to change their approach every two weeks. personally, i prefer the acoustic stuff with the Carl Wilson overdubs. (any Joe Electroharmonix can run guitars through 900 effects. f*ck that.) your Sun City Girls point is well taken. they obviously get a lot from those dudes but i think i prefer the SCG more in theory than in practice. much of it -- the show i saw in SF last year, for example -- seems awfuly hokey to me. the Rick Bishop solo guit stuf i love but the SCG can come across as -- and i hate to use the dreaded "W" word -- wacky. (let's face it, there's really nothing worse than wacky music...)

-- B

Edited by Brandon Burke