Aerosmith - Honkin on Bobo

RainyDay

I wanted the blues but pretty much got Aerosmith... not that there's anything wrong with that. Still, it is one of the best dates these guys have done in a while. Just don't go buying it thinking you're getting Robert Johnson.

... And speaking of Robert Johnson, has anyone picked up the new Eric Clapton CD? It's called "Me and Mr. Johnson". Now that could be good.

Kevin

Well I'm hopin' this new Aerosmith comes even halfway close to their old form. Nothing since way back around NIGHT IN THE RUTS has been worth even a cursory listen, and the last great album was DRAW THE LINE from 1977...they certainly DID rock back then!

Guest ariceffron

although i admit this sounds interesting, i have to say i hate all aerosmith old or new. if i had to pick the best i guess i would say its their newer stuff but im telling you no one even really liked aerosmith back in the 70s. trust me. even bands like supertramp had a much larger following. but supertramp were good. aerosmith always was kind of 2nd rate back then. they wished they could be as good as alice cooper. fuck that. do u know my friend saw s. tyler and his woman driving on in the E.Coast once and at the deli they both stopped at on the way, what was on the radio in the covertable when the bitch was waitin for steve? aerosmith. can u blieve that. oh my god.

Q: WHICH KINGS OF ROCK HAD AEROSMITH OPEN A LARGE PART OF THEIR 1977 US TOUR??????

A: ???????????

although i admit this sounds interesting, i have to say i hate all aerosmith old or new. if i had to pick the best i guess i would say its their newer stuff but im telling you no one even really liked aerosmith back in the 70s. trust me. even bands like supertramp had a much larger following. but supertramp were good. aerosmith always was kind of 2nd rate back then.

Apparently you think you remember the '70's.

:rfr

:party::party::party:

I grew up in the 70's. Aerosmith's "Toys in the Attic" and "Rocks" were part of everyone's LP stack. Everybody was digging Aerosmith back then. "Walk This Way" was fun, raucous and loud, just how us young 'uns liked our music. "Big Ten Inch" was raunchy and loud and even managed to get a song about blow jobs onto the radio, which was loved even more.

You know not of which you speak.

Kevin

• 15 years later...
On 4/8/2004 at 1:41 PM, bresna said:

I grew up in the 70's. Aerosmith's "Toys in the Attic" and "Rocks" were part of everyone's LP stack. Everybody was digging Aerosmith back then. "Walk This Way" was fun, raucous and loud, just how us young 'uns liked our music. "Big Ten Inch" was raunchy and loud and even managed to get a song about blow jobs onto the radio, which was loved even more.

Right on!  Revisiting Live Bootleg last night and today, what a kickass rock 'n roll record.  1970s Aerosmith was awesome. 

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2004 at 0:41 PM, bresna said:

I grew up in the 70's. Aerosmith's "Toys in the Attic" and "Rocks" were part of everyone's LP stack. Everybody was digging Aerosmith back then.

Since we've dredged this topic up form the bowels of the archives, I guess I am compelled to add that this whole "everyone/everybody" thing is in no way accurate. I knew, overall, several hundred people during those days (including me!), and not one of them cared about Aerosmith (the people or the records) or had any of their records. Why would we?

So, this perceived unanimity of digginess might have been mostly the case back in days of yore, but in no way was it actually unanimous. And it definitely isn't now.

I know that for myself, Liv Tyler made a bigger impact on me than did her father. And now, neither do! :g

Well, in good ol' Holyoke Massachusetts, Aerosmith was very big - huge even - back in the late 70's/early 80's. It probably had a lot to do with the fact that they were from Boston, but no matter, everyone I KNEW was digging Aerosmith back then.

If you were down in Tejas back then, I imagine ZZ Top was bigger than Aerosmith. Locale certainly plays a part in everyone's definition of "everyone".

12 minutes ago, bresna said:

Well, in good ol' Holyoke Massachusetts, Aerosmith was very big - huge even - back in the late 70's/early 80's. It probably had a lot to do with the fact that they were from Boston, but no matter, everyone I KNEW was digging Aerosmith back then.

If you were down in Tejas back then, I imagine ZZ Top was bigger than Aerosmith. Locale certainly plays a part in everyone's definition of "everyone".

ZZ Top was still a bit of a cult band in the 70s, actually. I knew that Aerosmith existed and that they were pretty big, I mean, how could you go into a record store or read the popular music press and NOT know that? It's just that nobody I knew gave a shit, it all seemed really stupid then, and, really, still does. Sure, it "rocks", but BFD, what ELSE does it do except reinforce basic stupidity and self-indulgency? I get that those were "the times", but, you know, here we are, and what good has THAT done us? We're all better off for overindulgent behavior, sex, drugs, and rock and roll, right. The resultant extinctions of critical thinking and impulse control is all for the greater good, right?

Uh...ok.

As for "definitions", uh...sure. all you know is all it is. That's science, right?

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

We're all better off for overindulgent behavior, sex, drugs, and rock and roll, right. The resultant extinctions of critical thinking and impulse control is all for the greater good, right?

Uh...ok.

Overindulgent behavior, sex, drugs & rock and roll does not somehow magically result in a loss of critical thinking and impulse control. Several of us here are proof that there are alternative outcomes.

FWIW, I don't know what you're after here anyway. You seem to looking for an argument but I don't know why. Arguing over Aerosmith's popularity or my definition of everyone seems weird.

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

ZZ Top was still a bit of a cult band in the 70s, actually.

"Fandango" came out in 1975. I had a copy. Several of my friends had copies. I wouldn't use the term huge, but they were far bigger than a cult band up our way. We had a lot of AOR (Album Oriented Rock) stations in my neck of the woods so most of the people I hung out with were into a lot music that wouldn't make it on a Top 40 station. Maybe that had something to do with my view of the rock world?

6 minutes ago, bresna said:

Overindulgent behavior, sex, drugs & rock and roll does not somehow magically result in a loss of critical thinking and impulse control. Several of us here are proof that there are alternative outcomes.

FWIW, I don't know what you're after here anyway. You seem to looking for an argument but I don't know why. Arguing over Aerosmith's popularity or my definition of everyone seems weird.

Nothing at all "magical" about it, it's quite predictable, actually. There's a reason why the notion of rehab still, for a little while, anyway, has currency beyond getting out of an immediate jam. People swallow the hook. and the line, and the sinker. That's why these kids today talk about trap and shit, they get it (even if they still do it anyway).

What am I after? I'm after the fact. Ex posto facto.

That and I'm kinda sick of "rock fans" in general. Not them personally, just how they like to think that "it's all music" and simplistic shit like that. Looking at blue with red eyes, not realizing that they are not seeing the reality of blue, just a red perception of it. Just sick of that, period, in all areas of life, this "assumption" that just because one "likes" something that one really "understands" it. Not unless and until your definition of "every___" is aware that on this plane, you will never know the true meaning of that. In fact, me saying that is in and of itself an act of supreme cosmic arrogance, because for all know, maybe you can know it all and I'm just too stupid to realize it.

Jim - as I said - I really don't know what you're after here. Looking at blue with red eyes... um... again... no idea what you want me to say to this. 

I do think that nitpicking on my generalizing that "everyone" was into Aerosmith in the 70's and then have you go off to generalize that overindulgent behavior, sex, drugs & rock & roll equates to a loss of critical thinking and impulse control is pretty hypocritical.

If it makes you happy, I'll grant you that everyone wasn't into Aerosmith in the 70's. :) 

Hmmm, simply didn't feel the need to start a 1970s Aerosmith appreciation thread when the topic had seemed to come up in this already-existing conversation--so why not pull out this particular toy in the attic? :g  Last night I was watching some clips from one of my favorite all-time movies, Dazed And Confused, which kicks off with "Sweet Emotion" and certainly evokes vibes of the era in question for me:

Of course not "everybody" everywhere was into Aerosmith, just as not "everybody" everywhere was into the Beatles in the mid-1960s.  I think Bresna simply meant the social circles in which he ran.  The band was certainly popular here in Indiana.  I dunno, not prepared to overthink this or see any necessity thereof... to me good rock 'n roll carries a visceral charge, whether it's the Stones in the 1960s, Aerosmith in the 1970s, the Replacements in the 1980s, or whatever floats yer boat in your specific listening preferences, points of origin, etc.  

RUN DMC was the first time I  even gave half a rat''s as about "Aerosmith". When I finally heard the original, I was more than a little underwhelmed. "Sweet Emotion"...God I played that in wedding bands for years, cringing every step of the way at those lyrics, before finally asking sombody hey, who did that bullshit song in the first place? Aerosmith, dude, big hit back in the day, and OK yeah, no wonder then.

I find that whole type of erathing  repulsive and repugnant (both!!!) not because it's "rock" but because ultimately  it degrades everything I find interesting about life, including sex and drugs and impulsive behavior, none of which are bad in and of themselves, just not as default behaviors with no counterforce as much as even remotely being considered. 

But those guys...yeah, i'm glad they all cleaned up, maybe, sure, whatever, but apart from that, yet another confirmation to me that The Boomer  Masses were and are essentially a suicidal bunch of deliusional infantiles not to be trusted with adulthood, ever.

But hey, they were.

“Sweet Emotion” is a badass 1970s rock anthem, though why anybody would want it played at a wedding party is beyond me. Like Captain Howdy said, groovy bass intro, plus great riffs and vocal delivery from Tyler. I’m sure it resonates more with those like me and Richard Linklater (Dazed and Confused director, born 1961–went to high school in Texas, where Dazed And Confused is set) who were kids listening to the radio in the mid-1970s than it might with others; groove to whatever moves ya! Linklater originally wanted to use Zeppelin’s “Rock And Roll” as the movie’s outro song, and Page and Jones agreed to it, but Plant cast a veto, which is too bad—Linklater ended up using Foghat’s “Slow Ride” instead, which works well too, but somebody on Reddit put up the ending with the originally intended Zeppelin track as the soundtrack:

Dazed And Confused ending with originally intended music

Edited by ghost of miles

No 1970s Aerosmith, no late 1980s Guns ‘n Roses (I’m sure some would say that’d be no tragic loss. :lol: But late-80s G ‘n R was a hell of a rock band). 

"I was in seventh grade and just going through the whole 1978 music thing that was happening for kids – which was like Cheap Trick and the Cars. Anyway, there was this chick that I was going after that was considerably older than me… I'd been trying to be cool enough to take her out and have my way with her… Finally, I sort of weaseled my way into her apartment. So we're hanging out and she put Rocks by Aerosmith on, and I was mesmerised by it. It was like the be-all-and-end-all, best-attitude, fuckin' hard rock record… I'd grown up with music, but this was like my record. I must have listened to it about half a dozen times, completely ignored her, and then got on my bike and rode. I was totally in there. I was at least gonna get a decent French kiss out of it, and I completely dropped the ball for Aerosmith, and that was that. It's probably one of the records that sums up my taste in hard rock bands to this day. Meanwhile, she's out there somewhere and I missed it. But it was worth it." –Slash, “The Record That Changed Your Life,” Q Magazine, June 1995

Edited by ghost of miles

11 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

That's a heck of a stretch. If Aerosmith hadn't existed GnR would only have had to reach back a few more years to get the same thing directly from the Stones. I think it's more accurate to say no punk, no Guns ‘n Roses.

Not sure why, but my phone didn’t save the edit I added to my post right after I wrote it—here’s the quote from Slash that I had added to substantiate my opinion:

"I was in seventh grade and just going through the whole 1978 music thing that was happening for kids – which was like Cheap Trick and the Cars. Anyway, there was this chick that I was going after that was considerably older than me… I'd been trying to be cool enough to take her out and have my way with her… Finally, I sort of weaseled my way into her apartment. So we're hanging out and she put Rocks by Aerosmith on, and I was mesmerised by it. It was like the be-all-and-end-all, best-attitude, fuckin' hard rock record… I'd grown up with music, but this was like my record. I must have listened to it about half a dozen times, completely ignored her, and then got on my bike and rode. I was totally in there. I was at least gonna get a decent French kiss out of it, and I completely dropped the ball for Aerosmith, and that was that. It's probably one of the records that sums up my taste in hard rock bands to this day. Meanwhile, she's out there somewhere and I missed it. But it was worth it." –Slash, “The Record That Changed Your Life,” Q Magazine, June 1995

Not to contest the notion that punk influenced G ‘n R too. But Aerosmith was certainly seminal for Slash.

Edited by ghost of miles