SF Jazz Collective

medjuck

So about 8 months ago my wife bought tickets for a series put on by UCSB that included a performance by Joshua Redmon. By the time the date arrived it was the SF jazz Collective with Redman, Bobby Hutcherson, Nicholas Payton, Brian Blades, Renee Rosnes, Miguel Zenón on alto, and Robert Hurst on bass. Talk about an all-star band.

The first half of the program was all Ornette Coleman compositions and the 2nd half originals by band members. Their encore was a Coleman blues. Great stuff though I found the emphasis on compostion made it a bit constrained. I would have liked to have have heard them stretch out some more.

Ironically I think the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra just played here and featured Ornette compositions also. ( Ironic in that it's doubtful one could have heard as much Coleman over the last 2 decades as one could over the last few months.)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Received my copy today.

Track list is:

Disc 1 (all Ornette):

1. School Work

2. Una Muy Bonita

3. Lonely Woman

4. When Will The Blues Leave

5. Peace

6. Happy House

Disc 2:

1. Lingala (Zenon)

2. Rise and Fall (Redman)

3. March Madness (Hutcherson)

4. From Darkness to Light (Payton)

Disc 3:

1. Of This Day's Journey (Rosnes)

2. Wages (Blade)

3. Overground (Invocation) (Roseman)

4. Fred Sanford Went To Spain To Siesta (Hurst)

Spinning disc 1 as I type and very happy with what I'm hearing so far. Wish I had known about the them while I was in SF this past summer.

• 1 year later...

Question:

I ordered the 3CD 2004 live tour but by mistake they sent me the 2CD 2005 live tour (the one with all the Trane tunes). Now this is a good one too, but how do they compare? I could just keep this one (although the other was a better value because of the 3rd disc) or I can return it and re-order the other one. If they're both really burnin' I'll go ahead and spring for both.

Well? :ph34r:

Question:

I ordered the 3CD 2004 live tour but by mistake they sent me the 2CD 2005 live tour (the one with all the Trane tunes). Now this is a good one too, but how do they compare? I could just keep this one (although the other was a better value because of the 3rd disc) or I can return it and re-order the other one. If they're both really burnin' I'll go ahead and spring for both.

I sprang for both, and was not disappointed. I think that both are really great, re: the original tunes that are on the sets, and the Ornette and Trane band arrangements are too shabby. I thought the playing throughout was first rate.

Question:

I sprang for both, and was not disappointed. I think that both are really great, re: the original tunes that are on the sets, and the Ornette and Trane band arrangements are too shabby. I thought the playing throughout was first rate.

The Ornette and Trane band arrangements are too shabby? :huh:

• 2 years later...

Upcoming tour dates for this year's edition of the SFJazz Collective. Lineup is Dave Douglas, Robin Eubanks, Eric Harland, Stefon Harris, Joe Lovano, Matt Penman, Renee Rosnes, and Miguel Zenon.

02-15-2008: Portland, OR - Newmark Theatre

02-22-2008: Bielsko-Biala, Poland - KLIMAT Entertainment Center

02-23-2008: Vienna, Austria - Wiener Konzerthaus

02-24-2008: Amsterdam, The Netherlands - Bimhuis

02-26-2008: Porto, Portugal - Casa da Musica

03-01-2008: Chapel Hill, NC - Memorial Hall, University of North Carolina

03-02-2008: Morrow, GA - Spivey Hall, Clayton State University

03-05-2008: New York, NY - Zankel Hall at Carnegie Hall

03-07-2008: Boston, MA - Berklee College of Music

03-11-2008: South Orange, NJ - South Orange Performing Arts Center

03-12-2008: East Lansing, MI - Wharton Center for the Performing Arts

03-13-2008: Ann Arbor, MI - Michigan Theatre

03-14-2008: Chicago, IL - Orchestra Hall

03-15-2008: Berkeley, CA - Zellerbach Auditorium, U.C. Berkeley

03-19-2008: Tracy, CA - Grand Theatre Center For The Arts

03-20-2008: Santa Barbara, CA - Lobero Theatre

03-21-2008: Los Angeles, CA - Royce Hall - UCLA Center for the Arts

03-22-2008: Albequerque, NM - National Hispanic Cultural Center

I wish these guys would come back down to TX again this time around. They're doing the music of Wayne Shorter this time too.

Bluerein,

Please keep us posted on which Shorter compositions are in the repertoire of this group. Will they stick with the tried and true like so many other repertory groups, or will they branch out? There are many great Shorter compositions that are NEVER covered. I'd love to hear someone do 'Plaza Real', for example. There is a trio version by a Polish pianist, but I'd like to hear a version with horns.

Bertrand.

• 2 weeks later...

I have really enjoyed all 4 SFJazz albums so far, I'll finish disc 2 tommorrow of Live 2007, but its really been great stuff. Will definitely preorder the Shorter/Live 2008 album when they announce it. If only Nonesuch would release the complete sets for those that have missed out on the sets on the SFJazz site.

I have really enjoyed all 4 SFJazz albums so far, I'll finish disc 2 tommorrow of Live 2007, but its really been great stuff. Will definitely preorder the Shorter/Live 2008 album when they announce it. If only Nonesuch would release the complete sets for those that have missed out on the sets on the SFJazz site.

Last I checked all of the sets were still available at the SFJazz site. Has something changed? I still need to get the last two sets.

the previous 3 are outstanding as well. I am gonna finish disc 2 of the 2007 set in a few, "Haast Pass" kills, how it starts out with Hutch playing a waltz I thought it'd be that the whole time, but then the irregular metered bassline comes in......... So far that 2007 disc has had a lot of surprises. relyles, when I bought the 2004 and 5 sets (I bought all 4 at once) it said the first two were available in limited quantities.

Edited by CJ Shearn

• 13 years later...

Interesting announcement from SFJAZZ and probably the biggest single artist turnover. There are usually only one or two changes per year. Also, the addition of a vocalist is an interesting development.

+++

We are excited to announce new members of the award-winning SFJAZZ Collective – saxophonist and Music Director Chris Potter, vocalist Lizz Wright, bassist/vocalist Aneesa Strings, and drummer Kendrick A.D. Scott.

This lineup will explore the music of legendary singer/ songwriter Joni Mitchell, who received the 2015 SFJAZZ Lifetime Achievement Award, with a forthcoming studio album set for release in Fall of 2021, followed by touring in the Spring of 2022.

Formed in 2004, SFJAZZ Collective lineup will also include returning members — tenor saxophonist David Sánchez, trumpeter Etienne Charles, vibraphonist Warren Wolf, and pianist Edward Simon.

Over their fifteen-year existence, the SFJAZZ Collective has included 27 members who have penned 110 original compositions and 115 arrangements.

2021-22 SFJAZZ COLLECTIVE LINEUP
Chris Potter music director, tenor & soprano saxophones
David Sánchez tenor saxophone
Etienne Charles trumpet
Warren Wolf vibraphone
Edward Simon piano
Aneesa Strings bass & vocals
Kendrick A.D. Scott drums
Lizz Wright vocals