SF Jazz Collective

medjuck

• 11 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2004 at 4:43 PM, montg said:

There's a 3 CD set of this group coming out next week.

sfjazz

Lacking a real sense of urgency, I just now listened to it. I think it's excellent, worthy of repeated listenings. The compositions benefit greatly from a fleshed out frontline and having Bobby Hutcherson available both as an exquisite soloist and aptly applied ensemble color. Renee Rosnes stands out as well. In fact most of the band plays above what I have come to associate with their individual efforts. I think there's something about being part of a band that focuses people to bring it up a notch or two.

Brian Blade is a mofo too, but I already knew that. I haven't been completely asleep for the last 20 years. :g

I got thrown off the trail by the high school records, figured it was some kind of...educational output and that the band stuff was like a "facuty concert". That would not be fr me.

So I was wrong about that, it seems.

I do see there's at least one or two more band records with Hutch, so that drives my attention now. After that, the lineups become increasingly less interesting to me, but that's just me.

On this first one, though, I was really engaged by the group dynamic, how everybody was on the same page for every performance. Quite a "band mind" performance, not just a "star jam", very nice indeed.

I wouldn't stop exploring just with the band with Hutch. Each edition has its strengths, and I feared the "tribute" mentality of the focus on composers, but, though I really dig the "original compositions" discs, each one of the discs with the works of of others has merit.

14 hours ago, kh1958 said:

The edition of the group with Sean Jones, David Sanchez, Miquel Zenon and Robin Eubanks is excellent.

That edition was especially good!

I've seen nearly every edition at least once. It's been interesting to see the band as it changes - typically one or two musicians per year. I don't have all the albums, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the Jobim and Wonder tours, as well as the Silver and Miles Davis. But to be honest the "Original Compositions" discs in any of the tour releases are well worth hearing.

There is a two cd set compiling Miguel Zenon's original composition performances that is excellent.

Edited by jazzbo

18 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

I have most, but not all of them. I've seen them in concert a couple of times. 

I just can't generate interest in acquiring the set with Michael Jackson covers...

I'm kinda with you... They started out fantastic.. and the last few iterations of the band and their live releases have been disappointing. 

1 hour ago, Ken Dryden said:

I have most, but not all of them. I've seen them in concert a couple of times. 

I just can't generate interest in acquiring the set with Michael Jackson covers...

I was surprised how much I like the Jackson covers, and the original compositions material is excellent. I've enjoyed all the editions of this collective.