Several album covers I hadn't seen before

Rooster_Ties

hm01.jpghm02.jpghm03.jpghm04.jpg

hm05.jpghm06.jpghm07.jpg

And, in particular, the version of "Poppin" shown above, is different than the Japanese one (GXF 3066) that I see on page 278 of the most recent BN Cover Art book (the small-format book, 7"-square footprint).

What's the story on the two different covers for "Poppin"??

(PS: A couple of these are in the BN Cover Art book, so I guess I have seen them - but most of these are unfamiliar to me.)

And, in particular, the version of "Poppin" shown above, is different than the Japanese one (GXF 3066) that I see on page 278 of the most recent BN Cover Art book (the small-format book, 7"-square footprint).

RT,

The cover you posted is from the (Japanese) CD-edition -- TOCJ-1620. The cover shown in the cover art book (GXF-3066) is from the vinyl version (Japanese King issue).

Peter

RT,

The cover you posted is from the (Japanese) CD-edition -- TOCJ-1620. The cover shown in the cover art book (GXF-3066) is from the vinyl version (Japanese King issue).

Peter

Thanks!!! Bet there are some others like that too.

I rather like most of the vinyl "King" covers of what were (at the time) previously unreleased sessions.

Can't help but wonder if a Japanese cover was ever produced for Andrew Hill's 1968 trio album "Chain", that went so far as to be assigned a King "GFX" catalog number and everything. If so, I have some silly hope that it could be used for when (if?) this session is ever released. For those who might not know, this session is still unreleased to this day.

Kevin (if you happen to see this), if you ever talk to Michael about unreleased sessions, I'd really be curious to know if he thinks this one will ever come out??

dg30.jpgdg31.jpg

2 things -

1) Re: THE PANTHER: That's the same photo as my old LP copy, but a different title layout. What gives?

2) I remember reading in an old Prestige discography that THE JUMPIN' BLUES was briefly issued with a 7600 series #, (or something like that - the point being that it once had a different number than the 10000 series). Anybody know any more about this, and if the earlier issue had a different cover?

Well, ok 3 things then - my copies of THE PANTHER and THE JUMPIN' BLUES are PR-10030 and PR-10020, respectively, yet THE PANTHER saw release first. Widespread release, anyway, as evidenced by reviews, poll results, and such. What's the story there, and does it relate the TJB's earlier release w/a 7600 #? Seems like a shift in the Prestige regime (or at least Don Schlitten's role in it) occured somewhere around that time.

Maybe this belongs in the discographical forum...