Andy Bey

Hardbopjazz

What do you think of this guy's singing? He appears on a number of Horace Silver sessions in the 70's and 80's. I never got into the Silver albums that were with voices. But as a solo artists, I find he has a nice voice. Plus, there are not that many guys on the scene today that sing, at least to my knowledge.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

I LOVE Andy Bey.  Plays a beautiful piano as well as sings so uniquely.  Check out "Tuesdays in Chinatown."

I really like Bey a lot.

There are other goog male singers out there, but not many that are as distinctive and as touching as Bey.

Bey is what I call a bell ringer: almost every time I play him, the phone lights up with an inquiry (usually women).

--eric

Edited by Dr. Rat

Bey was good with Silver & Bartz in the 70s, but he's in an entirely different category now. Back then he was pretty much a belter, relying mainly on the resonant deep end of his amazing baritone. Then he left the scene for a number of years and returned as one of the most profound male vocalists in the history of jazz. He developed the upper end of his range and became a consummate ballad singer. His taste, subtlety, fluidity & emotional honesty have rarely been rivaled.

I really enjoy the music he performed with his sisters Geraldine and Salome in the mid 60's. Two albums now re-issued as "Andy Bey & the Bey Sisters" on Prestige. Some jazz, blues and gospel, and three part harmonies backed by Jerome Richardson, Kenny Burrell, Milt Hinton, Jo Jones, Richard Davis, Osie Johnson and Barry Galbraith. Wonderful music done in a style you don't here too often anymore.

I really enjoy the music he performed with his sisters Geraldine and Salome in the mid 60's. Two albums now re-issued as "Andy Bey & the Bey Sisters" on Prestige. Some jazz, blues and gospel, and three part harmonies backed by Jerome Richardson, Kenny Burrell, Milt Hinton, Jo Jones, Richard Davis, Osie Johnson and Barry Galbraith. Wonderful music done in a style you don't here too often anymore.

I totally agree Nina. I recently obtained this cd and really enjoyed it. It's really got a lot going for it. Great singing, great sidemen and interesting, intense, well arranged and highly entertaining vocals.

What everybody else said.

I think this album is going to get him some recognition.......FINALLY. It seems like there's a lot of "buzz" about it. I don't have it yet myself, but the couple of tracks that I heard on KCSM sounded great.

I've been a big fan since I first heard him on the Harlem Bush Music albums. I like the Horace Silver "United States of Mind" sets (due out as Conns later this year, BTW) as well as Stan Clarke's first - "Children of Forever" - also featuring Dee Dee Bridgewater. Look for him on the title track of Duke Pearson's "I Don't Care Who Knows It", too.

I saw him a couple of months ago, solo. Beautiful set. He has a glorious voice, a beautiful sensibility forged from gospel and jazz, and the hippest taste of any male jazz singer extant. I've heard his newest, "American Song," and it's on my short list, but so is another newest one, "Chillin' with Andy Bey," on Minor Music. I think it's a German label.

I first heard Bey on "Children of Forever," which was Stanley Clarke's first solo album, lo these many years ago--released on Polydor in 1973, if I'm not mistaken. I'll have to pick that one up on CD, if it's available of course. Off the top of my head, I believe it had Chick Corea on Fender Rhodes, Pat Martino and Lenny White, with Andy Bey and Dee Dee Bridgewater singing.

I first heard Bey on "Children of Forever," which was Stanley Clarke's first solo album, lo these many years ago--released on Polydor in 1973, if I'm not mistaken. I'll have to pick that one up on CD, if it's available of course. Off the top of my head, I believe it had Chick Corea on Fender Rhodes, Pat Martino and Lenny White, with Andy Bey and Dee Dee Bridgewater singing.

That's pretty much it, Tom, with the addition of Arthur Webb (on flute) sprinkled throughout the album.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw Andy Bey at the Jazz Bakery in LA on 04/22/04. He sang two great sets. Most of the songs were from his new American Song CD.

I was truly amazed. He sang a version of A Night In Tunisia that was fabulous. That's one of my favorite tunes, but to hear it the way he did it was like hearing it for the first time.

His encore for the first set was a solo version of Someone to Watch Over Me. Simply put: BEAUTIFUL.

I purchased the CD at the show and had him sign it for me. I hung around and talked to him for a while. He was happy just chatting it up with the few people who headed towards the stage after the show. He's a really nice guy.

I will definitely be checking out the rest of his albums. :tup:tup

Edited by mgraham333

Bey is a major talent and the material he's releasing now is the strongest in his career, he just keeps getting better. I first noticed him on the Duke Pearson albums (especially Clara from How Insensitive) and I've been a fan ever since. All of his recent albums are must-haves.

I'm looking forward to picking up American Songs.

:tup

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i'm not sure how many people have this 2-fer reissue, but it is *incredibly* good and highly recommended:

B00004YLK2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

andy's style, to me, can be divided into three distinct phases:

1. the work with his sisters both as a stand-alone group and on certain horace silver sides. it's very choral and at times vocalese like. thrilling and new sounding for its time.

2. more funky work including a stint with gary bartz's ntu troop (this freaked me out when i first heard it as it's very different from the first and third phase). what's suprising to me is how well it works.

3. his phoenix a la jimmy-scott reemergence onto the scene in 1991 in which he seems to have completely embraced tradition while stamping so so many songs with his own gorgeous imprint.

i'm a fan,

-e-

• 3 years later...

Would it be a bold statement to say that Bey is the best jazz male singer of the moment.

To be honest, i have a hard time naming a few current male singers

Have a hard time finding his music here, might have to order some to get his latest music.

Any recommendations among his latest work ?

Would it be a bold statement to say that Bey is the best jazz male singer of the moment.

Have a hard time finding his music here, might have to order some to get his latest music.

His latest "Aint' Necessarily So" is a good place to start. Although actually recorded live in 1997, it's a great representation of his talents. "Shades of Bey" is solid, too.

His latest "Aint' Necessarily So" is a good place to start. Although actually recorded live in 1997, it's a great representation of his talents. "Shades of Bey" is solid, too.

My favorite is "Ballads, Blues, and Bey" on Evidence. It really shows off Bey's very intimate vocal style.

Greg Mo