Andy Bey

Hardbopjazz

And while we're at it - is there a CD reissue with all of the four tracks done for Fontana with Kenny Dorham etc. - my copy of Jazz In Paris Vol. 30 has only two of them ...

... and has the session described here been issued somewhere by now?

Edited by mikeweil

What do you think of this guy's singing? He appears on a number of Horace Silver sessions in the 70's and 80's. I never got into the Silver albums that were with voices. But as a solo artists, I find he has a nice voice. Plus, there are not that many guys on the scene today that sing, at least to my knowledge.
Andy is very heavy. I should only be lucky to have him sing one of my songs. His band is a MF too. If you get a chance to see him perform drop everything and go. He's a master. He can swing a band with just his voice, has a great range with his falsetto, is musical as hell, has an amazing instrument. He also is a hell of an interesting piano player, and a 'wise old man' of the scene.

Look into it. Andy is deep.

I read about a recording session for RCA done before the two Prestige LPs by Andy & The Bey Sisters, but can't find any definite info - can anybody help?

Here's the entry from the Lord discography:

Andy Bey & The Bey Sisters:

Andy Bey (vcl,p) Geraldine Bey, Salome Bey (vcl) acc by Chet Atkins (g) + others unknown

Nashville, Tenn., c. 1961

Trees RCA Victor LSP-2315

Revenge -

On the sunny side of the street -

Zombie jamboree [back to back] -

Mood indigo -

It must be so -

You can't be mine anymore -

Dreamy -

Smooth sailing -

A felicidade -

Don't get around much anymore -

Bye bye, blackbird -

I have "Trees" and "You Can't Be Mine Anymore" on a single - RCA Victor 47-7832. The jazz content is zero, but the singing (all ensemble, no solos) is of high quality. The rhythm section sounds like the typical Nashville country/pop studio guys, and there is a string section.

Edited by jeffcrom

I read about a recording session for RCA done before the two Prestige LPs by Andy & The Bey Sisters, but can't find any definite info - can anybody help?

Here's the entry from the Lord discography:

Andy Bey & The Bey Sisters:

Andy Bey (vcl,p) Geraldine Bey, Salome Bey (vcl) acc by Chet Atkins (g) + others unknown

Nashville, Tenn., c. 1961

Trees RCA Victor LSP-2315

Revenge -

On the sunny side of the street -

Zombie jamboree [back to back] -

Mood indigo -

It must be so -

You can't be mine anymore -

Dreamy -

Smooth sailing -

A felicidade -

Don't get around much anymore -

Bye bye, blackbird -

I have "Trees" and "You Can't Be Mine Anymore" on a single - RCA Victor 47-7832. The jazz content is zero, but the singing (all ensemble, no solos) is of high quality. The rhythm section sounds like the typical Nashville country/pop studio guys, and there is a string section.

Thanks! :tup

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

The RCA Victor Lp was reissued on Blue Moon, along with some bonus tracks; the single the group did for RCA with Ray Ellis directing; The two tracks recorded in Paris in 1959 for Fontana, with Kenny Dorham and Barney Wilen; and two tracks done for the same label in London.

andy-bey-and-the-bey-sisters-bonus-track

Info here: https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/andy-bey-and-the-bey-sisters-albums/5730-andy-bey-and-the-bey-sisters-bonus-tracks.html

But there is more: I just received a copy of a Fontana 45 not listed in any discography:

R-10547820-1500067505-1902.jpeg.jpgR-10547820-1500067506-3727.jpeg.jpg

According to a reliable source about Fontana singles issue dates this was released in January, 1959 - before the Paris session held on April 15, 1959. I found a total of six tracks recorded in London, issued on various singles and EPs and partly with the two Paris tracks mixed in. Four of them so far were not on any CD reissue. The Lord discography does not list them either. There was an EP sold on amazon that says the London tracks were recorded with a group led by British pianist Ken Jones.

51UECGvWp0L.jpg

Besides that, there is a session with Kenny Clarke recently rediscovered, for Metropole in Paris. 

R-6189371-1413284516-3776.jpeg.jpg

I will be investigating into Andy Bey's recordings before 1970 ....

Edited by mikeweil

• 2 weeks later...

Biographical sketches of Andy Bey's career on allmusic and elsewhere mention a LP he cut at the age of twelve (!), "Mama's Little Boy Sings The Bues", without mentioning a label or other details. It is said to be a R & B album. I cannot find details about anywhere - has anybody here ever heard (of) that LP?

Edited by mikeweil

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Biographical sketches of Andy Bey's career on allmusic and elsewhere mention a LP he cut at the age of twelve (!), "Mama's Little Boy Sings The Bues", without mentioning a label or other details. It is said to be a R & B album. I cannot find details about anywhere - has anybody here ever heard (of) that LP?

And the likely solution :

https://www.discogs.com/de/Andrew-Wideman-Mamas-Little-Boy-Got-The-Blues-Im-Not-A-Child-Anymore/release/8038627

Written By John Bennings, Roy Jordan, And Sid Bass. Arranged & Conducted By Sid Bass. Record States "12 Year Old Andrew Wideman Sings"

Legal name: Andrew W. Bey, Andrew Wideman Bey, Andrew Wideman ... 1939 in Newark, New Jersey) is an American jazz singer and pianist ....