Elvin Jones

.:.impossible

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad indeed, but if he's been in the hospital for three months and wants to go out playing (as indicated by Larry Applelbaums' report of Keiko's stage announcement on the ejazznews article), then so it should be. The man has been such a vital lifeforce all these years that to deny him that at the end, if that's what he wants, would be cruel. However, there seem to be conflicting reports. Dr. JAzz mentions the need for money.

Here's Larry Applelbaum's report:

“I saw Elvin last night at Yoshi's here in San Francisco.He could barely make it to the stage, his wife helping him sit and placing the sticks in his hand.

Elvin had trouble hitting the drums but his time and sound was

impeccable.

His wife made an announcement that Elvin was obviously very sick and

has been in the hospital for 3 months and she wanted him to spend his

last moments, at his wish, behind the drums.

He looked about like he weighed 75 pounds and was truly sick...it was

one of the saddest moments of my life. I was so used to seeing him

look fit, happy and powerful.

The last number was announced, Dear Lord, and his wife asked us all to

pray as she hugged him from behind the drums for the entire tune.

I could not stop crying...

Please send prayers to this legend, the great inspirational Elvin!"

I read this thread when it started, but did not post anything in reply, now with the other thread, I'm most disturbed. This is very sad news. Elvin might very well be my favourite drummer ever. I never saw him live, and it does not seem I will. The last thing I heard of him was a broadcast in 2001 - he was in top form. I will remember him like that, and think of him.

impossible: thanks a lot for posting that picture of you and Elvin!

ubu

I read this thread when it started, but did not post anything in reply, now with the other thread, I'm most disturbed. This is very sad news. Elvin might very well be my favourite drummer ever. I never saw him live, and it does not seem I will. The last thing I heard of him was a broadcast in 2001 - he was in top form. I will remember him like that, and think of him.

impossible: thanks a lot for posting that picture of you and Elvin!

ubu

Ubu, I feel the same way.

Elvin has always been my favorite drummer. I just think of all the happiness he's brought us. I wish him all the best.

Often, the internet is good at spreading rumors. Sometimes, the rumors are discovered to be true. Sometimes they are not. Here is a rumor I found regarding the health of Elvin Jones. As this link says, there is no fact, yet, to backup this claim. Read it for what it is.

>rumor link<

Edited by wesbed

I just found this at branfordmarsalis.com's forum and it sounds a bit more hopeful:

May 03 2004 10:12AM JUST spoke by IM w/ Sherman Irby who is playing alto for 'Veen. He said: "He is sick, but he is getting better. If he gets his rest this month, he will be back playing in June. - He feels the love out there, and he really wants to play. So keep praying for him, and he will be back." --- Just thought everyone should know. --- Keep posting the well wishes. We will get them to him.

Marla

Often, the internet is good at spreading rumors. Sometimes, the rumors are discovered to be true. Sometimes they are not. Here is a rumor I found regarding the health of Elvin Jones. As this link says, there is no fact, yet, to backup this claim. Read it for what it is.

>rumor link<

Here's a post from another BBS from the guy who books Yoshi's:

Elvin was in pretty bad shape at Yoshi's.

It was very disturbing to see this powerful man so diminished.

I do not know what is wrong with him and don't want to speculate. I do know that he was on oxygen, and is having dialysis.

I really cannot imagine him playing and touring anymore, but he's a strong man. You never know.

Guest ariceffron

lets all try not to get crazy over this. elvin jones has performed in his elder years as well as he ever did, he has given music his all even in recent decades. and that is very commendable. it sucks that he is getting sick but he is very old and that is what is going to happen to all of us. i respect the fact that elvin still wants to play even though he is sick. he was indeed booked for last month here but it was cancelled

it sucks that he is getting sick but he is very old and that is what is going to happen to all of us.  i respect the fact that elvin still wants to play even though he is sick.

Very true. His life was a blessing to many of us. His death is the natural end of that blessing.

I am not sad that he is dying. I have seen people die before. People that I actually knew. I understand the process. I am sad that people continue to try to deny that death is an inevitable conclusion. I don't think for a second that Elvin Jones denies this. This much was comforting.

His life was so well documented behind the drum kit. From the second half of the 1950s to the 1990s - he held up well with Dewey and Cecil just years ago. His life was full until the end from all I can tell.

His time is coming to an end, regardless of rumors or stories on jazz bulletin boards. It is the end of an era, and nostalgia can be saddening. Although I never knew the man personally, I've spent enough time listening to his music to feel an attachment to the legacy.

Elvin Jones isn't a sideman that happened to play well on a famous side or two. He is an important element to the progression of the last quarter of the jazz century. We have seen so many pass on without a successor. His drumming had personality. A tone that was individualistic. Identifiable, like that of a saxophone player. Modern drumming is kindly imitation of the last quarter century, where advancement comes in small increments. Elvin was one who made advancement in stride.

He can't play for us forever.

Edited by .:.impossible

It is the end of an era, and nostalgia can be saddening. Although I never knew the man personally, I've spent enough time listening to his music to feel an attachment to the legacy.

.:.impossible:

Thanks for the very nice words. You said as much as I'd be able to say. I've spent many an hour, too, enjoying, wondering, and seeing, in my mind's eye, Elvin Jones playing hell out of a drum set. Drums up in your face, and at the same time, in just the right place. Elvin is not my 'absolute' favorite drummer. He is tied for #1 along with Max Roach and Art Blakey. I've always felt a 'comfort' that Elvin Jones, Sonny Rollins, Horace Silver, and Rudy Van Gelder are still a part of this world. They represent a living link, from the current day to the old day. Not that I will ever have the opportunity to speak to either of the men, I know they are still living, thinking, and were 'there' when the music went down.

Also, thanks for posting the fantastic picture. Your picture is becoming more meaningful and ironic as the days pass. I might have to join 7/4 in purchasing the Elvin Jones Mosaic.

blue%20note4%20055.jpgpost-8-1083204653.jpg

Edited by wesbed

Jazztimes.com has a front page update that focuses less on his decline and more on his getting better.

Marla

Thanks a lot for pointing this out, Marla.

I'll still be prepared for the worst, but this info gives me some hope in the meantime.

Jazztimes.com has a front page update that focuses less on his decline and more on his getting better.

Marla

Here is the gist of that update, a note to JazzTimes from Adam Mansbach, co-author of Elvin Jones' forthcoming memoirs:

I just called Keiko after reading your email. Elvin is alive and recuperating. I was at Yoshi's with him all week, and while he was weak and has lost weight (and had difficulty playing at some points), the whole experience was, for me, tremendously uplifting: To see him walk onstage with an oxygen tank and proceed to not only play an entire set, but also an amazing fifteen-minute solo while the room was being cleared (as he did on two of the nights) was truly inspiring. Set by set, there was a lot of variation in terms of Elvin's strength -- largely due to whether or not he had the oxygen with him, which he only did about half the time. A lot of the reports circulating have seemingly been from people who only saw one set and thus didn't really get a full picture. Elvin is certainly in very grave condition, but he's still full of tremendous love -- for the music and for life -- and that, along with his many friends and loved ones, seems to be keeping him going.

--Adam

Edited by maren

Marla

Here is the gist of that update, a note to JazzTimes from Adam Mansbach, co-author of Elvin Jones' forthcoming memoirs:

I just called Keiko after reading your email. Elvin is alive and recuperating. I was at Yoshi's with him all week, and while he was weak and has lost weight (and had difficulty playing at some points), the whole experience was, for me, tremendously uplifting: To see him walk onstage with an oxygen tank and proceed to not only play an entire set, but also an amazing fifteen-minute solo while the room was being cleared (as he did on two of the nights) was truly inspiring. Set by set, there was a lot of variation in terms of Elvin's strength -- largely due to whether or not he had the oxygen with him, which he only did about half the time. A lot of the reports circulating have seemingly been from people who only saw one set and thus didn't really get a full picture. Elvin is certainly in very grave condition, but he's still full of tremendous love -- for the music and for life -- and that, along with his many friends and loved ones, seems to be keeping him going.

--Adam

Maren, thank you for the update... I needed to read that. :)

Listening to the broadcast I mentioned - Elvin Jones Jazz Machine, Willisau 2001, with Delfayo Marsalis, Pat La Barbera, Eric Lewis and David Pulphus.

It's quite good, altough very conventional. Marsalis can play, by the way! And La Barbera is good, too.

Elvin jokes around announcing the encore, "It Don't Mean A Thing" - he even starts singing the last line of the A-part of the theme (dooo wa doo wa etc.)

ubu