Elvin Jones

.:.impossible

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, this might be another Internet rumor just like Joe Henderson. Joe was reported dead on the 'net almost 2 years before the actual event. It was pretty bad then, and it would be pretty bad now if we let it.

The rec.music.bluenote newsgroup started talking about this rumor yesterday and here it is a day later and no official word? Not looking good.

I say let's wait for the official confirmation before starting an "RIP Elvin Jones" thread.

Later,

Kevin

I was looking for an NYT obit but I figured they were behind the times, as it were.

But coming from Randy's dad, I assumed this was not as likely to be an internet rumor.

Either way, when I get home I'm listening to my recently received 70th birthday party Jazz Machine gig at the Blue Note. I want to celebrate Elvin, whether he's with us or not.

IEither way, when I get home I'm listening to my recently received 70th birthday party Jazz Machine gig at the Blue Note. I want to celebrate Elvin, whether he's with us or not.

Agreed - I'm going to the disc from the Coltane Legacy box

f46730ms7q9.jpg

which highlights the importance of Elvin Jones input.

Please restrain from digging a grave for Elvin. New of his death is hopefully a bit premature!

I can hear him playing behind (and even right in front of) John Coltrane. But it's only on 'I Want to Talk About You' from the Birdland album. Hell, Elvin Jones is very much alive to me!!

I would think that by this point there would be mention of his passing on his website, but there isn't. I sure hope this is a rumor and just that at present, because a world without Elvin would be kind of a drag. He's just one of those guys you feel that you can count on... not to mention an architect of the d-r-u-m.