Elvin Jones

.:.impossible

i certainly hope this is just a rumor.

just by chance i recently found a copy of "youngblood" released by enja records in 1992.

this is an excellent recording with elvin anchoring javon jackson, joshua redman, nicholas payton, and george mraz.

it appears to be out of print, so if anyone should stumble across it - i highly recommend they grab it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just by chance i recently found a copy of "youngblood" released by enja records in 1992. 

this is an excellent recording with elvin anchoring javon jackson, joshua redman, nicholas payton, and george mraz.

it appears to be out of print, so if anyone should stumble across it - i highly recommend they grab it.

This morning I ordered "Youngblood". I found it in one of the 2ed hand stores of the net.

Edited by B. Goren.

This morning I ordered "Youngblood". I found it in one of the 2ed hand stores of the net.

I'm not sure where my dad got the info.... It could be that he got it from a questionable source.. If anyone gets an update please post it...

I'm not sure where my dad got the info.... It could be that he got it from a questionable source.. If anyone gets an update please post it...

No information from the usual news sources. And that looks like good news to all fans of Elvin Jones. The man still has some fire on him...

Let's all hope he pulls through!

Elvin's smile still shines on our hearts. Still time to say thank you. Thank you Elvin Jones for making the Bluebird memorable. For taking Pontiac industrial life and freeing it through sound. Thank you for emulating Art Blakey, not imitating him. Thank you for poly rhythmic layers of sound with worn edges like heat lightening surging through Atlantic storm clouds off the coast of Africa. Thank you for “Caravan,” dumping sand storms from tom-toms. Thank you for the cortege in “Alabama.” Thank you for blowing hot August nights at Hart Plaza and the big sweaty hugs after the bandstand. Thank you for being with Jimmy Forrest when he brought Grant Green out of St. Louis: may your gin never be gone. Thank you for pursuing music without adding to dogma, i.e. from Duke and Trane to the Marsali and Cecil Taylor you’ve shifted time and time again while remaining time itself. Your past is the music’s future, never ending, with so many sons and daughters pounding their table for more, drum sticks like forks at the ready, appetite stoked by flams and triplets. From the little known Lawrence Williams to the well known Jeff Watts, your sound still echoes in live air. Drummers hang cymbals like mantis eyes in your honor, and children roll down grassy hills inside your snare drum. When you are one with the spirit may you find that nothing has changed, that you always were what you already are, and may the grace of God be with you.

From the Jazz Times website:

Elvin Jones: Alive & Recovering

Date: May 5, 2004

Written By: Christopher Porter

We?ve received dozens of e-mails claiming that Elvin Jones (pictured) was dying and/or dead?all because of an e-mail sent to various places by Len Dobbin. Most of the e-mails addressed to JazzTimes about Jones were tinged with sadness, but some were filled with odd vitriol toward us for not immediately dignifying an unsubstantiated rumor that flew around Internet chat rooms and list-serves with the speed of the recent Sasser virus. Here was Lee Ann Carpenter?s charming note: ?Elvin is dying and all you can write about is Diana Krall's tour schedule? Excuse me, but aren't you guys going to choke on all the fluff you produce??

After JazzTimes cleared its collective throat and put down Kenny G?s summer concert itinerary, we contacted Adam Mansbach to set the record straight. Mansbach is the co-author of Elvin Jones' forthcoming memoirs, Different Drummer (Da Capo). He agreed to have his response to our inquiry printed at JazzTimes.com because, he writes, ?I know [the rumors] are quite disturbing to Elvin and [his wife] Keiko.?

I just called Keiko after reading your email. Elvin is alive and recuperating. I was at Yoshi's with him all week, and while he was weak and has lost weight (and had difficulty playing at some points), the whole experience was, for me, tremendously uplifting: To see him walk onstage with an oxygen tank and proceed to not only play an entire set, but also an amazing fifteen-minute solo while the room was being cleared (as he did on two of the nights) was truly inspiring. Set by set, there was a lot of variation in terms of Elvin's strength -- largely due to whether or not he had the oxygen with him, which he only did about half the time. A lot of the reports circulating have seemingly been from people who only saw one set and thus didn't really get a full picture. Elvin is certainly in very grave condition, but he's still full of tremendous love -- for the music and for life -- and that, along with his many friends and loved ones, seems to be keeping him going.

--Adam

Elvin's smile still shines on our hearts. Still time to say thank you. Thank you Elvin Jones for making the Bluebird memorable. For taking Pontiac industrial life and freeing it through sound. Thank you for emulating Art Blakey, not imitating him. Thank you for poly rhythmic layers of sound with worn edges like heat lightening surging through Atlantic storm clouds off the coast of Africa. Thank you for “Caravan,” dumping sand storms from tom-toms. Thank you for the cortege in “Alabama.” Thank you for blowing hot August nights at Hart Plaza and the big sweaty hugs after the bandstand. Thank you for being with Jimmy Forrest when he brought Grant Green out of St. Louis: may your gin never be gone. Thank you for pursuing music without adding to dogma, i.e. from Duke and Trane to the Marsali and Cecil Taylor you’ve shifted time and time again while remaining time itself. Your past is the music’s future, never ending, with so many sons and daughters pounding their table for more, drum sticks like forks at the ready, appetite stoked by flams and triplets. From the little known Lawrence Williams to the well known Jeff Watts, your sound still echoes in live air. Drummers hang cymbals like mantis eyes in your honor, and children roll down grassy hills inside your snare drum. When you are one with the spirit may you find that nothing has changed, that you always were what you already are, and may the grace of God be with you.

Beautiful. And very respectful. :tup

I can't understand why people would want to speculate that Elvin Jones is dead. It feels like sensationalistm. This is not a race to who can break the news first. Let's have some respect, please.

You're absolutely right, and I'm sorry I posted the thread about Elvin's unconfirmed passing. I have deleted it.

I usually wait until news like that is confirmed, but I thought the source mentioned in the first post of this thread was reliable. My mistake, and I apologize.

Edited by J.A.W.

Things like that can happen.

I have to admit that the news threw me quite a bit. I didn't even think about this possibly being just a rumour.

No matter what, I don't really think any harm was done, and now, instead of walking around with my face all contorted, I'm throwing his stuff on my stereo with a big smile on my face.

If I was Elvin, I wouldn't be all that depressed about a rumour like that. The reactions here just show how much we appreciate his contributions to jazz, his style, his positive nature and him being around.

I've never met the man, but I just love him. :wub:

Cheers!

I can't understand why people would want to speculate that Elvin Jones is dead. It feels like sensationalistm. This is not a race to who can break the news first. Let's have some respect, please.

You're absolutely right, and I'm sorry I posted the thread about Elvin's unconfirmed passing. I have deleted it.

I usually wait until news like that is confirmed, but I thought the source mentioned in the first post of this thread was reliable. My mistake, and I apologize.

JAW: Thank you for deleting the thread.

Things like that can happen.

I have to admit that the news threw me quite a bit. I didn't even think about this possibly being just a rumour.

Me too - I have to admit the description of his status on that gig was pretty discouraging. I would hate to read about his passing, but as with Barney Kessel, it can happen every day. This is the generation of our musical fathers, which makes it all the more difficult to take.

All the best to Elvin - as Coltrane said when Elvin wrecked his car: I can always get another car, but there's only one Elvin!

As of noon yesterday, 5/7, Elvin was very much still alive, according to a guy from Zildjian who spoke to Keiko.

Let's not be too morbid prematurely.

Bertrand.

That's good to hear. :D

I'm glad Elvin is OK.