The Satanic Verses: Johnny Hartman=Earle Warren

mmilovan

OK, I know that most of the people would not accept this, but to my ears Johnny Hartman sings the same as Earle Warren used to sing at the beginning of 1940's. I refer to Warren's vocals on, for example, "I Struck The Match In The Dark", and... you can take anything Hartman recorded in his early years (and later as well).

The same tembre and feeling! And Warren also was capable of altering melodic line while singing.

And, while loving Hartman so much, this was way to dig Warren better.

Edited by mmilovan

OK, I know that most of the people would not accept this, but to my ears Johnny Hartman sings the same as Earle Warren used to sing at the beginning of 1940's. I refer to Warren's vocals on, for example, "I Struck The Match In The Dark", and... you can take anything Hartman recorded in his early years (and later as well).

The same tembre and feeling! And Warren also was capable of altering melodic line while singing.

And, while loving Hartman so much, this was way to dig Warren better.

Nah, you´re kidding! Warren was way better balladist than Hartman! ;)

Now seriously, Earle Warren should´ve sticked strictly to his alto sax! :P

Well, must say I don't know what to think. Johnny Hartman went to that same school of 1940's style of singing. And similarity are almost equal when you listen to Hartman doing ballads on Dizzy big band dates.

In his later years, Hartman changed his style a bit, but in core it was the same type of "cool/don't express anything you feel" way to deal with melodic line of a song.

But, Hartman sung alongside with Trane, right - so that was the way not to forget about him.