goin west

Guest ariceffron

Guest ariceffron

who likes goin west . i do. i just got it today!!! i have to comment though why is grant off mic at the start of track one. is that why it was only issued a few years after it was recorded. it should be caleld goin funky. cause its hella fucnky. i espically like track 3.

It is hella funky, I agree.

This is to me not just a good but GREAT Grant Green album - interesting combination of the very laid back mood of sessions like IDLE MOMENTS and AM I BLUE?, but much down home funkier than either of those, probably closest in that category to FEELIN' THE SPIRIT. Absolutely fantastic takes on some hoary old tunes - no question he was the king of covers, no matter what type of tune or era. His playing was in peak form, too - check out his remarkable solo on "Red River Valley," an unassuming little masterpiece. Sometimes on this type of material Green would go on autopilot and recycle the same licks over and over, but throughout this album he comes up with fresh stuff...sounds to me like he really dug playing with Herbie Hancock, and relished the harmonic challenges he tended to throw out even on simple material like this.

I had predicted when the RVG of this session got issued that it would really turn some heads, based on my having had a CD burn of the LP and enjoying the hell out of it for the past year or so - and I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened yet, Aric excepted of course! Maybe people just haven't had time to listen yet, or maybe it takes some time to work its magic. Anyway, it's become one of my two or three favorite of Green's Blue Note sessions.

Hella fucnky indeed! Groovalicious and zonaphonic as well!

This is one of my favorite Grant sides also. I think the unorthodox tune selection might be a turnoff (or at least a question mark) for some, but geezlouise, so frikkin' what? A tune's a tune. It is what you make of it.

And everybody here makes hella fucnky!

Edited by JSngry

I should have the RVG soon. . .I've had several lp versions. The groove that Hancock and Workman and Higgins put down is so nice. . . . I too think of this one like "Feelin' the Spirit" which is my favorite Green. Can't wait to hear this cd!

Guest ariceffron

and why the hell did they start puttin music by emi on the cd spine. thats bullshit. its music by blue note. emi is for the beatles godammoit

I with you on that one, too.

But you know, pigs squeal the loudest just before they get gutted. That's a lesson from the country, doncha know.

And I would say that with the "technical difficulties" on the EMI websites, it's going to be getting bloodly very soon. :(

yea too fucking bad i have to sit here and listen to styx right now cause there givin away bowie tix all day on the radio

Styx?!?!? Man, no one should have to suffer like that!

"Red River Valley" does it for me, but I also dig "Tumblni' Tumbleweeds" as well. Hell, it's all good!

I picked up the JRVG of this last year and have always enjoyed it, and I think a lot of that has to do with the unusual (for a jazz date) selection of tunes. I think it would be a pretty decent CD to use to introduce a friend to jazz or to Grant Green, because many people will know or be able to relate to the songs on the CD. I put this on for a while last night and my wife seemed to really enjoy it for this reason, and she's anything but a jazz lover.

Edited by vibes

I, too, have long loved this album. Might have something to do with having paid $2 for my LP. And the "hey check this out" factor is good too. But ultimately it's just a groove to listen to. I am bummed, however, that the outtakes of "home On the Range" and "Old Cow Hand" weren't included. One of the things I really dig about GG is that it seems he was as much a fan as us.