Morgan/Shorter and Chambers/Kelly Vee Jays

Both now in Last Chance!

:o How in the heck did that happen so fast? The T/K/M set was running low for months before going into last chance. These have been running low now for only a couple of weeks. Is someone buying them up? The only other set I can recall going last chance so quickly was the Ellington Reprise set. My chance of getting these sets is now ZILCH. :tdown

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be crazy ... or you folks make me crazy with your countdowns! ... I just pulled the trigger on the Morgan-Shorter set, although I have had about 300 variations of these sessions on a wide variety of issues over the years ... I was impressed enough with the quality of the Kelly-Morgan set to get this one as well.

I also pre-ordered the Farlow .. anyone want to buy a bunch of Farlow CD's .. including some Japanese pressings? I notice other folks on this list dumping their CDs in anticipation ... I do hope that they will produce those wonderful DSM covers in the booklet ... like they do with the Selects.

I talked to Scott and he says he kind of got caught off guard with these sets. He thought they would be able to run another pressing but was told earlier this week that he couldn't. They have around 200 of each set as of today.

I was planning to get these for Xmas but obviously, they won't be there that long. Time to check the finances.

Later,

Kevin

Just placed my order.  I really hope that nothing else gets on the short-list any time soon.  Very hard on one's wallet, and I don't even have time to really listen to all this music any time soon.

You won't regret getting these, Bol! :tup

I hope I don't. I'm a little nervous about all the alt. takes. :unsure:

Edited by Bol

Just placed my order.  I really hope that nothing else gets on the short-list any time soon.  Very hard on one's wallet, and I don't even have time to really listen to all this music any time soon.

You won't regret getting these, Bol! :tup

I hope I don't. I'm a little nervous about all the alt. takes. :unsure:

I was nervous too... but once I started using shuffle, I really got into the set even more.

I think you'll be happy with the set. :g

I hope I don't.  I'm a little nervous about all the alt. takes.

The Vee Jay Mosaic are quite good. I get good vibes when I pull the boxes out of my closet in anticipation of listening to the music.

I was concerned, too, about the alternate takes. The Mosaic manual discusses the alternate takes and what is different about each, what to listen for. Sort of interesting.

I program my CD player to skip the alternate takes and it all flows well from there. In this manner, you acquire even more music that you never listen to. :P

I'm having a hard time justifying pulling the trigger on the Kelly/Chambers. I have about half of the stuff on individual cds, but not the Strozier... :mellow: ....hmmm....and I don't find myself spinning too many piano trio cds these days.... :mellow: .....Mosaic has me by the balls....that's for certain. B)

I'm having a hard time justifying pulling the trigger on the Kelly/Chambers. I have about half of the stuff on individual cds, but not the Strozier... :mellow: ....hmmm....and I don't find myself spinning too many piano trio cds these days.... :mellow: .....Mosaic has me by the balls....that's for certain. B)

I've heard only the Mosaic version of the Vee Jays. I don't know how the sound quality is on the non-Mosaic issues. The Addey remaster on the Mosaic release is VERY good.

I've enjoyed BOTH sets very, very much (you can read my other posts in this thread). It just seems like it's not often that I'm able to experience music of this time-era, with this quality of sound and documentation. To me, and others may disagree, the sound quality of these sets is better than what's being currently released by Blue Note in the RVG and Conn series. You know, it's an Addey! Claude wrote something that he believes Vee Jay may have done a better job at creating the original master, than Blue Note, back in the day. The only drawback, all the alternate takes. You're paying for 6 disks and getting about 3 to 4 disks worth of unique music.

I don't know. These are just really good sets, music-wise, sound-wise, and you get the Mosaic packaging too.

If, on the other hand, you're not too much into piano trios of late, maybe get the Morgan/Shorter?

I was more apprehensive about getting the Kelly/Chambers vs the Morgan/Shorter set but turns out the former is my favourite of the two, at least at present.

The alternate takes don't weigh down the music one bit but are a welcome addition, IMO.

If there's anyone to 'blame' for speeding up these Vee-Jay sets going to OOP status, it would be the internet, credit card and this BB. :w

You know, I felt like a chujp when I panicked and ordered these sets when they went on the "running low" list. I guess it was just as well. Now they're on my shelf and I won't have to panic until the next one. So how low is that Peggy Lee/Julie Christie set anyway??

Chambers/Kelly query.

The Mosaic lists five tracks as the contents of 1st Bassman.

The euro vee Jay has six tracks:

1. Melody (Lateef) - 4:11

2. Bass Region (Lateef) - 10:38

3. Retrogress (Lateef) - 3:33

4. Mopp Shoe Blues (Lateef) - 6:08

5. Blessed (Lateef) - 7:07

6. Who's Blues (Adderley) - 8:26

The last one does not appear on the Mosaic. Any explanation?