Jefferson Airplane reissues

bertrand

Was Crosby's "If I could Only Remember My Name" ever on cd in America after that first (and still seeming only) early digital release?

An article in Mix from last July mentions 5.1 mixes of the album as being finished. So one would think that it is coming out sometime in the not too distant future. (Um, unless there's a "Cellar Door" situation. :crazy: )

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've probably got Long John Silver around here somewhere on vinyl, and I'll dig it up eventually. . . . I don't remember it as fondly as I do Bark.

Do you have the "build-able" stash box version? I've actually got a sealed copy of that.......just to have it. If I remember correctly, "Twilight Double Leader" isn't a bad song.

Like Hans I saw the Airplane on their European tour in !968 with the Doors, tho I saw them in London at the Roundhouse, my first ever concert ( not counting Lonnie Donnegan with my Dad!). I was 15 at the time, a baptism of fire!

Also saw then a couple of years later at the Bath festival, where my friend was told by a very pregant Slick to F off when he told her how very much he liked her music.

One day I will tell you of the time Country Joe urinated over my shoes...

Just picked up Kantner-Slick-Freiberg's Baron Von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun and David Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name on CD - haven't owned these since my long gone vinyl days, and haven't heard either in at least 15 years. But I enjoyed the remastered-expanded Blows Against the Empire disc so much that I decided to go for these, even in their un-remastered incarnations. I do hope they'll get the full reissue treatment soon, though.

Edited by gdogus

I'd love to see a box that brings together all of the material by this loose musical collective working around Kantner-Slick-Crosby at the time. I'm thinking totally remastered original and alternate takes, unreleased tracks, and so on. I guess the box would include Blows Against the Empire, If I Could Only Remember My Name, Sunfighter, Baron von Tollbooth & the Chrome Nun, Slick's Manhole...

And I promise I'd be one of the four people who'd buy it... :D

I'll be the cheap s.o.b. who tries to score it used (maybe when one of the 4 buyers needs bail money.) Kidding, kidding, it really would be one of the most delightful limited limited editions ever.

Man, this is one case where the book & packaging could be so over the top. Let Paul Kantner get together with the folks who put together the Ayler box and see what happens! ;)

• 3 months later...

I'd love to see a box that brings together all of the material by this loose musical collective working around Kantner-Slick-Crosby at the time. I'm thinking totally remastered original and alternate takes, unreleased tracks, and so on. I guess the box would include Blows Against the Empire, If I Could Only Remember My Name, Sunfighter, Baron von Tollbooth & the Chrome Nun, Slick's Manhole...

Ever heard this Lp set? Flight Log-Jefferson Airplane

It has some of those songs...from the side project bands.

A nice little comp. :cool:

"Flight Log" was an interesting collection at the time, but other than a live version of "Please Come Back" there's nothing new there.

That "Fillmore East" album is pretty good. When I first got it, I thought it was too rough and sloppy. But the more I listened to it, it began to grow on me. I guess I was originally comparing it to "Bless It's Pointed Little Head".......which is incomparable.

"30 Seconds ..." is hard to find? Hard to believe! It's not very good. Jefferson Airplane in its last throes.

Yes, I used to own Flight Log years ago, and thought it was a terrific compilation. No other comp (that I've seen) has really come close in the CD era, IMO, especially in representing the related projects (Kantner-Slick, Hot Tuna, etc.). I'd love to see a much-expanded box version released, including lots of Airplane alternates and outtakes, as well as large doses of the "side" projects. Something tantamount to a complete and well-rounded picture of the Airplane, early Starship, and relevant satellites.

Well, the J A Loves You box set is pretty good for the band itself. I've no interest in Starship (outisde Blow Against) and I've got the side projects I need.

B, Thirty Seconds may not be great. Everyone says Long John sucks and I got it recently and quite like it. I always did quite like it. I can't remember Thirty Seconds though. .. probably rolled too man and lit them. But I'd like to get an affordable cd copy to complete my Airplane collection. All I see for sale though are expensive imports. Who knows, I might like it quite a bit. Stranger things happen.