What music did you buy today?

tonym

Ever since 2004, when various persons started threads predicting the end of the Fantasy labels, I've been playing catch up on titles. Although I still have probably 150-200 titles I'd like, I feel as though I'm finally over the hump.

I got ten of the remaining Legends of Acid Jazz titles I had been missing (thanks, Magnificent Goldberg, for the comprehensive thread!), each for 8 bucks a pop:

Boogaloo Joe Jones, Vol. 1

Idris Muhammad

Melvin Sparks

Pucho & His Latin Soul Brothers

Johnny "Hammond" Smith

Don Patterson

Houston Person

Billy Butler

Shirley Scott

Taking advantage of JR.com's shipping offer, I also got the following for $7 each:

The Billy Taylor trio with Candido

Lucky Thompson - Lucky Strikes

Barney Kessel's Swingin' Party at Contemporary

Barry Harris - Bull's Eye

Roy Haynes - Cracklin'

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis - Cookbook, Vol. 2

Steve Lacy - Evidence

Yusef Lateef - Other Sounds

Yusef Lateef - Cry!/Tender

Chuck Wayne - Morning Mist

Gerry Mulligan - Mullgan Plays Mulligan

Sidney Bechet - Up A Lazy River

Gerry Mulligan Quartet/Chubby Jackson Big Band

Cal Tjader - Monterey Concerts

Finally, I found super cheap copies of the following from Amazon marketplace vendors:

Red Holloway - Brother Red

Barry Harris - Luminescence!

Ahmed Abdul-Malik - Jazz Sounds of Africa

Shirley Scott - Soul Shoutin'

Kenny Burrell (2fer) - All Day Long/All Night Long

Whew! Someone on this board once told me "Don't forget to listen...." I don't know that I've internalized that bit of wisdom completely, but I'm doing my best.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rummaging through my wish list at amazon for some bargains:

Blues Masters Vol. 11: Classic Blues Women (used copy for around $4)

Earl Hines & His Orchestra -- "Harlem Lament" (new copy for under $2)

41PD0QCQFZL._SL500_AA300_.jpgcd054310fca0ac0dde1a9010.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Two more:

Dizzy Gillespie -- "Odyssey: 1945 - 1952"

Dizzy, Sonny Rollins, Sonny Stitt -- "Sonny Side Up"

21QPE6ATTJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg41YD6TJGS5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by papsrus

Dizzy Gillespie, "The Greatest Trumpet of Them All;" and Tyrone Washington, "Natural Essence." Both of these albums left me a little cold when I first bought them (40 years ago? Is that possible?) - they seemed to promise a lot more than they delivered - so I'm anxious to revisit them.

A couple of jeffcrom recs from recent days:

George Lewis with Kid Shots

Tuba Fats' Chosen Few Brass Band -- "Street Music"

211AEZ1D28L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

3080.jpg

Hope you enjoy them. The George Lewis CD also has GL's first (and best) recording of "Burgundy Street Blues," one of the sweetest, most wistful blues you'll ever hear. And The Chosen Few BB was one of the "realest," greasiest brass bands in New Orleans. I love the "Iko Iko/Food Stamp Blues" medley.

BTW, the "Vinny Jones" listed on the back cover is actually the great brass band bass drummer Benny Jones, who currently leads the Treme BB.

Hope you enjoy them. The George Lewis CD also has GL's first (and best) recording of "Burgundy Street Blues," one of the sweetest, most wistful blues you'll ever hear. And The Chosen Few BB was one of the "realest," greasiest brass bands in New Orleans. I love the "Iko Iko/Food Stamp Blues" medley.

BTW, the "Vinny Jones" listed on the back cover is actually the great brass band bass drummer Benny Jones, who currently leads the Treme BB.

I'm very much looking forward to those. The fella I spoke with at Jazz Crusade while ordering the Tuba Fats disc mentioned this one as well:

3078.jpg

Do you know it?

I'm very much looking forward to those. The fella I spoke with at Jazz Crusade while ordering the Tuba Fats disc mentioned this one as well:

3078.jpg

Do you know it?

I haven't heard that album, but four tracks from the same session fill out the Chosen Few Brass Band CD. Thing is, they're my least favorite tracks, so I've never been interested in picking up the full Chosen Few Jazzmen CD. But you'll know whether you want it once you hear the "bonus" tracks of the CD you ordered.

Since you are looking for Tuba Fats stuff, I'll mention this obscure CD. I didn't mention it before because (1) Tuba only plays the tuba on a few tracks, although he sings on almost everything, and (2) it's not a great album, although it's a fun one. It's the kind of genial mixture of trad jazz, modern jazz, and R & B you might hear in New Orleans club - enjoyable, but not great.

Got a batch of OJCs and Concord Family sale items at Newbury Comics when I was in Cambridge, Mass last Sunday, including:

-- 20bit K2s of The Kenny Drew Trio, Red Garland w/ John Coltrane - All Mornin' Long, & Jackie McLean 4, 5 and 6 ($4@), Eric Dolphy at the Five Spot ($6)

-- OJC limited edition series -- Elmo Hope - Homecoming!, The Other Side of Benny Golson and Gil Melle's Gil's Guests ($4@) and Jimmy Woods' Conflict (with Andrew Hill!) ($6)

-- live at Maybeck Concord's by John Hicks, Marian McPartland and Hank Jones for $6

-- Keepnews Collection -- Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Relaxes (RVG) and The Hawk Flies High for $6

-- and some other things at $4 each -- Jacky Byard - On the Spot!, Don Friedman Trio - Circle Waltz, Hampton Hawes - I'm All Smiles, Eric Dolphy in Europe, Vol.2, Lucky Thompson - Happy Days and Cedar Walton - Spectrum

Edited by alankin

Arthur Blythe - Blythe Spirit (Columbia 1981)

Oliver Lake - Gallery (Grammavision 1986)

Haven't listened to the Lake yet, but the Blythe is out of sight! Three different ensembles-- a quintet with cello and tuba, a quartet w/ Steve McCall, and another quintet with tuba and organ. I've not yet been all that able to get into Lenox Ave. Breakdown, but this one is much more my speed. What a fantastic record, a shame it'll never make it to CD. I recommend seeking it out.

Hank Mobley and John Handy are on their way from Mosaic, but Hank Crawford showed up today. I blame The Magnificent Goldberg for this; his recent blindfold test made me realize how little I knew about Mr. Crawford - kind of embarrassing for an alto sax player. So I ordered this from Oldies; seven of HC's Atlantic albums on four CDs. I'm playing From the Heart right now; I said "Damn!" twice in the first 30 seconds. Better late than never, I guess.

Edited by jeffcrom

Hank Mobley and John Handy are on their way from Mosaic, but Hank Crawford showed up today. I blame The Magnificent Goldberg for this; his recent blindfold test made me realize how little I knew about Mr. Crawford - kind of embarrassing for an alto sax player. So I ordered this from Oldies; seven of HC's Atlantic albums on four CDs. I'm playing From the Heart right now; I said "Damn!" twice in the first 30 seconds. Better late than never, I guess.

Yup!

Skip the Kudus, go for the Milestones next. Nary a dud. (Oh, except for the one with Richie Cole.)

MG

Some from Document Records:

Big Maceo - Complete Recorded Works In Chronological Order Vol. 2 (1945-1950)

Leadbelly - The Minneapolis Party, November 21st 1948

Rev J C Burnett - Vol 2 1927 - 1945

Rev J M Gates - Vol 2 1926

Rev W M Mosley - 1926 - 1931

V.A. - Too Late Too Late Vol 11 1924 - 1939

From Honest Jons, Dusty Groove and more:

Dadawah - Peace And Love (Vinyl)

FireRoom - Broken Music

Katell Keineg - At The Mermaid Parade

Marvin Gaye - I Want You (Vinyl)

The Impressions - The Young Mod's Forgotten Story (Vinyl)

V.A.. - Mata La Pena (Vinyl)

V.A. - Raw Soul Rare & Unreleased Funk From Norwolk, Virginia 1971 73 (Vinyl)