What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier this week I spent a couple hours at the Berkeley Amoeba and picked up a brand new Good Time Jazz title (The Famous Castle Jazz Band In Stereo) that's not even available used on Amazon for 8 bucks, and 18 or so Blues and Rhythm Classics titles for 5 bucks a pop. Compared to the Half Price Books and Cheapo locations in the Twin Cities, Amoeba's prices are damned fine.

Earlier this week I spent a couple hours at the Berkeley Amoeba and picked up a brand new Good Time Jazz title (The Famous Castle Jazz Band In Stereo) that's not even available used on Amazon for 8 bucks, and 18 or so Blues and Rhythm Classics titles for 5 bucks a pop. Compared to the Half Price Books and Cheapo locations in the Twin Cities, Amoeba's prices are damned fine.

18 Classics R&B titles for $5 each! That's a great score.

18 Classics R&B titles for $5 each! That's a great score.

I know! Brand new and shrink-wrapped, too. For whatever reason, they're in much less demand than the jazz classics series.

Nice little used cd haul from various second-hand establishments today:

Bobby Hutcherson-Head On-BN Conn

Charlie Parker at Storyville-BN

Herbie Nichols Trio-BN TOCJ

Blue Mitchell-Stablemates-Candid

Freddie Hubbard-Blue Spirits-BN RVG

Art Blakey-Roots and Herbs-BN

Some nice purchases, especially the Blue Mitchell disc.

Thanks, can't wait to hear it, bought that one new!. Also,I picked up Charlie arker at Storyville, which I forgot to mention, for 5 smackers!

Thanks, can't wait to hear it, bought that one new!. Also,I picked up Charlie arker at Storyville, which I forgot to mention, for 5 smackers!

Can speak up for three of those. The Parker is great - very well recorded for a live date - and there's a fascinating contrast between Sir Charles Thompson, late in his career, and Red Garland, early in his. The Blue Mitchell date is very nice and it's so good to hear a late example of Victor Feldman's fabulous piano! Many have said this before me, but Roots and Herbs is a remarkably good Messengers album to have seen the light of day so late. :tup

Edited by BillF

The Parker is great - very well recorded for a live date - and there's a fascinating contrast between Sir Charles Thompson, late in his career, and Red Garland, early in his. ...

Geez, there are four sellers offering used copies of this at amazon for $0.01!

Couple more NOLA brass band titles:

1. Jazz at Preservation Hall, Vols. 1 & 2

Eureka Brass Band Of New Orleans/JAZZ AT PRESERVATION HALL 1 (1963) & Jim Robinson's Band/Billie & De De Pierce/JAZZ AT PRESERVATION HALL 2 (1963)

2. The Young Tuxedo Brass Band -- "Jazz Begins - Sounds of New Orleans Streets: Funeral and Parade Music "

090431662724.jpg090431692127.jpg

Edited by papsrus

Can speak up for three of those. The Parker is great - very well recorded for a live date - and there's a fascinating contrast between Sir Charles Thompson, late in his career, and Red Garland, early in his. The Blue Mitchell date is very nice and it's so good to hear a late example of Victor Feldman's fabulous piano! Many have said this before me, but Roots and Herbs is a remarkably good Messengers album to have seen the light of day so late. thumbs_up.gif

Can't believe Roots and Herbs sat in the can all that time. What a great date! Haven't spun the Parker yet, but I'm looking forward to it.