What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of CD's I ordered online just came over the transom---Southern Scene/The Riddle (Brubeck) and the aforementioned Adderley Sextet in New York. About that last, when somebody mentioned it recently on the board I thought surely I must have the album, but a look through my collection proved that I did not, strangely enough. Newbury Comics soon cured THAT.

Jimmy Smith - Prayer Meetin' / Blue Note 4164 (slap me, I paid $1.00)

Lou Donaldson - Mr Shing-A-Ling / Blue Note (liberty)

Milt Buckner (quintet) - Send me Softly / Capitol

Buck Clayton - Songs for Swingers / Columbia

Red Nichols and the Five Pennies - Blues and Old-Time Rags / Capitol

London Symphony - Alban Berg: Lulu Suite, Altenberg Lieder, Three Pieces for Orchestra / Deutsch Grammophon

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

50034.jpg

Recorded live at percussionist Mike Mahaffy's performance space, Sunrise Studio in NYC on September 28, 1975.

Ted Daniel (trumpet, flugelhorn, French hunting horn, tambourine

Richard Pierce (bass)

Tatsuya Nakamura (trap drums, quarter drums);

Congeniality (18:41) - Ornette Coleman

Jiblet (17:05) - Sunny Murray

The Moor (9:51) - Ted Daniel

O.C. (9:23) - Ted Daniel

Turned out better than I expected. Very nice!

Buying a CD is a big deal for me these days. In general, anything I buy I have to discard/give away within a week or two. But I couldn't resist Sonny Simmons, LIve in Paris, a two-CD set on Arhoolie. I used to hear Simmons outside my office window in the 80s (San Francisco, New Montgomery Street). Amazon reviews call it unlistenable (or close to it) and AllAboutJazz says "In 2000, Arhoolie music re-issued a long out-of-print live 1969 album Manhattan Egos to fill in a curious gap in the Simmons story.

This time Arhoolie found Mr. Simmons in Paris, live in a recent concert. Audiophiles beware; the recording has a rough bootleg feel with the audience talking through some solos and the overall feel of a Dean Benedetti recording.".

But in my rental car, it's enjoyable so far (Disc One); thank goodness for failing hearing. This could even be a keeper.

Edited by BeBop

Used copies of Dvorak's "Russalka," cond. by Neumann; Paray/Detroit Symphony doing Sibelius 2nd and Dvorak "New World"; Martinon CSO Ravel program; Martinon CSO Bartok Miraculous Mandarin, Varese Arcana, Hindemith Nobelissima Visione.So far I've listened to the Paray/Sibelus, which is terrific (but so is Hannikainen's) and some of the Martinon Rapsodie Espagnole -- its first movement astonishingly brisk (3:58) compared to Reiner's great CSO recording from twelve years before ((5:47), though I suppose one could say that that Reiner's is astonishingly languid. Sounds like two different pieces of music -- could both conductors be "right"? Why not?

Buying a CD is a big deal for me these days. In general, anything I buy I have to discard/give away within a week or two. But I couldn't resist Sonny Simmons, LIve in Paris, a two-CD set on Arhoolie. I used to hear Simmons outside my office window in the 80s (San Francisco, New Montgomery Street). Amazon reviews call it unlistenable (or close to it) and AllAboutJazz says "In 2000, Arhoolie music re-issued a long out-of-print live 1969 album Manhattan Egos to fill in a curious gap in the Simmons story.

This time Arhoolie found Mr. Simmons in Paris, live in a recent concert. Audiophiles beware; the recording has a rough bootleg feel with the audience talking through some solos and the overall feel of a Dean Benedetti recording.".

But in my rental car, it's enjoyable so far (Disc One); thank goodness for failing hearing. This could even be a keeper.

I've had that one for years and like it a lot. Not audiophile sound, but I've heard worse. The music and and the spirit of the playing carry the day. When I listen to it, I don't notice the sound quality. Given your memories of Sonny Simmons, I'll bet you'll end up keeping this recording.

I've spent a bit more time/mileage with the Simmons "Live in Paris". The sound is raw and livley - both the audio and Simmons. While lacking the echo of the canyons of the San Francisco Financial District, it does bring back memories, even with a decade-plus displacement between SF and Paris.

MJQ: Django (K2)

The Jazz Messengers with Monk

Ben Webster and Associates (VME)

Gil Evans: The Complete Pacific Jazz Sessions (Conn) (all these were $7.99 used! the MJQ was free)

Endless Miles (one of the first webcasts I ever watched)

Almost got some David Murray also, there was David Murray Big Band on DIW, and I forget what else.

Some nice used cd hauls 'round town:

Fats Navarro-Memorial-Savoy

Fats Navarro-Nastalgia-Savoy

Presenting Ernie Henry-Riverside/OJC

Dave Brubeck-We're All Together for the First Time-Atlantic

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers-Freedom Rider-BN

Billy Taylor Trio-My Fair Lady Loves Jazz-Impulse!

Picked up some Black Saint/Soul Note titles before they disappear:

Muhal Richard Abrams: Colors in Thirty-Third (Black Saint)

Steve Lacy/Mal Waldron: Communique (Soul Note)

Ran Balke: Unmarked Van - A Tribute to Sarah Vaughan (Soul Note)

Mark Dresser: Force Green (Soul Note)

Edited by paul secor

Some nice used cd hauls 'round town:

Presenting Ernie Henry-Riverside/OJC

Have you had the opportunity to listen to this one Bill? I've been thinking about picking this one up myself.

Not yet, but its high on the priority list. I'll give you my impressions, as soon as I give it a listen.

Art Hodes -- "Hodes' Art"

Henry Red Allen -- "World on a String"

51RtDKxDInL._SL500_AA300_.jpg61XtZoPpzcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you're not familiar with Raymond Burke, who never left New Orleans much, I think you're going to like his clarinet playing on the Hodes album.

Arrived today and listening now. What a great album. Burke fits beautifully with the light, laid-back feeling of the small groups here. Really enjoying it. I have Burke's Crescent City Music, St. Louis Blues disc as well. Should play that for comparison sake later.