What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

zzsehornssoulfarm50ne_101b.jpg

A massively expanded version of the original Sehorn's Soul Farm compilation – one that adds in a huge amount of bonus tracks, and makes for an even more essential batch of New Orleans soul! The cuts here all come from the original Sansu empire formed by Marshall Sehorn and Allen Toussaint – a key force in New Orleans soul of the 60s – thanks to Toussaint's amazing ear for new talent, and bold new styles of production in the studio! Toussaint went onto much greater fame on bigger labels in the 70s, but his work here is still his best – a hard-edged, uniquely rhythmic groove that forever changed the sound of soul in the Crescent City. The 2CD set brings together material that appeared on both original Sehorn's Soul Farm collections in the 80s – mostly culled from labels like Sansu and Deesu, plus bits from other sources – and it also adds in 18 more bonus cuts too, which makes for a whopping batch of 50 New Orleans soul classics. Cuts include "Sadie Mae" by Joe Haywood, "Did You Have Fun" by Willie West, "A Lady" by Warren Lee, "Chicken Strut" by The Meters, "Look Way Back" by Diamond Joe, "Man Of The Street" by Ironing Board Sam, "How To Pick A Winner" by Diamond Joe, "Lovely Woman" by Eldrige Holmes, "Hotcha Mama" by Ernie K Doe, "Mean Man" by Betty Harris, "Hercules" by Aaron Neville, "Sinner Girl" by Benny Spellman, "Blues Tears & Sorrow" by John Williams, and "Star Revue" by Warren Lee. © 1996-2010, Dusty Groove America, Inc.

Did Plas Johnson routinely appear on Earl Grant records?

zzsehornssoulfarm50ne_101b.jpg

A massively expanded version of the original Sehorn's Soul Farm compilation – one that adds in a huge amount of bonus tracks, and makes for an even more essential batch of New Orleans soul! The cuts here all come from the original Sansu empire formed by Marshall Sehorn and Allen Toussaint – a key force in New Orleans soul of the 60s – thanks to Toussaint's amazing ear for new talent, and bold new styles of production in the studio! Toussaint went onto much greater fame on bigger labels in the 70s, but his work here is still his best – a hard-edged, uniquely rhythmic groove that forever changed the sound of soul in the Crescent City. The 2CD set brings together material that appeared on both original Sehorn's Soul Farm collections in the 80s – mostly culled from labels like Sansu and Deesu, plus bits from other sources – and it also adds in 18 more bonus cuts too, which makes for a whopping batch of 50 New Orleans soul classics. Cuts include "Sadie Mae" by Joe Haywood, "Did You Have Fun" by Willie West, "A Lady" by Warren Lee, "Chicken Strut" by The Meters, "Look Way Back" by Diamond Joe, "Man Of The Street" by Ironing Board Sam, "How To Pick A Winner" by Diamond Joe, "Lovely Woman" by Eldrige Holmes, "Hotcha Mama" by Ernie K Doe, "Mean Man" by Betty Harris, "Hercules" by Aaron Neville, "Sinner Girl" by Benny Spellman, "Blues Tears & Sorrow" by John Williams, and "Star Revue" by Warren Lee. © 1996-2010, Dusty Groove America, Inc.

Looks good. Is Betty Harris' "Nearer to you" on that? Crazy if it ain't.

Did Plas Johnson routinely appear on Earl Grant records?

Don't know about routinely. I have 3 now and he's on them all. I checked the Lord discography but mostly they don't state personnel on the sleeves, so he follows that. A long time ago, I saw a video of Earl and his band playing a long number in a black dance hall. He was sure moving those dancers around! And Plas was there, too.

There's a LOT more to Earl Grant than lounge; but ignoring the lounge isn't necessarily a good idea, I've found. Oh, and if you find his 1962 45 on Decca of "Sweet sixteen bars" (yes, the Ray Charles number), don't fail to buy it, will you? Wish I'd kept mine.

MG

A lot of Documents:

(...)

I was sniffing around for the Mississippi John Hurt 1928 recordings, sampling three different releases: the one below (which I ended up settling on), the Yazoo release and a Document compilation titled "Never Let the Same Bee Sting You Twice," a three-disc set that includes the Hurt recordings.

The main issue in deciding among the three was their use (or over use) of noise reduction software. The Yazoo used none, or very little, leaving all the pops and crackles. The one I settled on seemed to apply noise reduction quite aggressively, but to my ear that did not diminish the brightness of the guitar and vocals enough to make me choose the pops and crackles.

But from the samples I listened to, the Document release was the most aggressive in their use of noise reduction, or at least it was used aggressively on the source material they chose. It sounded muffled in comparison to both of the others. I was a little surprised by this.

Perhaps trying to judge this by sound samples alone is unwise, but even so, the difference was significant.

51UHwMqYOGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Also on the way: The Paramount Masters (jsp)

61mDkiEzYiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A whole bunch of Fantasy, etc. titles. Amazon merchants (namely Newbury Comics) has most of these for 2 or 3 bucks. Part of me wishes I was just getting into jazz now, because tons of OJCs that I paid 10 bucks or so for are available for bargain prices.

Bennie Green With Strings

Benny Carter Montreux 77

Billy Butler Night Life

Bob Brookmeyer Dual Role of Bob Brookmeyer

Bobby Timmons Quartets and Orchestra: Do You Know The Wawy?/Got To Get It

Dave Frishberg Live At Vine Street

Dizzy Reece Asia Minor

Gene Ammons Organ Combos

Houston Person Trust In Me

Jack McDuff Soulful Drums

Jack McDuff Tough Duff

Jaki Byard On The Spot

James Moody Blues & Other Colors

Jim Robinson The Living Legends: Jim Robinson's New Orleans Band

Jimmy Forrest Most Much

Lee Konitz Spirits

Milt Jackson Big Bags

Phil Woods Pairing Off

Randy Weston Solo, Duo & Trio

Randy Weston Jazz a La Bohemia

Red Holloway Legends of Acid Jazz

Red Rodney Quintets

Sonny Criss Up Up & Away

Teddy Edwards It's All Right

Teri Thornton Devil May Care

The Herdsman/Nat Pierce Play Paris

Tiny Grimes Tiny In Swingville

Zoot Sims The Innocent Years

Arnett Cobb Smooth Sailing

Dakota Staton - Darling please save your love for me - Muse

21XXAMEQ6FL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

21XXAMEQ6FL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

(Posting two, because they're small :D)

This is a 1991 album produced by Houston Person with Bill Easley on sax and Bross Townsend on piano. Very nice! Wish I'd bought these Muse albums when they came out. Dakota's chops are still what they were in 1957!

Dakota Staton - Time to swing - Capitol (DRG)

51Psmwk-CYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Another terrific set of small bands behind Dakota - including Taft Jordan, Joe Wilder, Phil Woods, Budd Johnson, Jerome Richardson, Kenny Burrell, Hank Jones, George Duvivier, DOn Lamond. This is from summer of 1959.

Dakota Staton - More than the most - Capitol (Collectables)

41B17GNT22L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

No personnel listed on this, but good alto and tenor sax solos. Perhaps Budd Johnson is on this but not Woods, I'd guess. Autumn of 1959, this was done.

This one was the first Soul Jazz album I ever bought, back in 1960. My landlady's cat thought it was wonderful to watch the record going around and jumped on it one day. It's taken me a long time to get around to buying a replacement :)

Two more Dakotas still in the post!

MG

Went to one of Manchester's few remaining second-hand record shops today, Kingbee Records in Chorlton (you must be familiar with this one Bill).

Don Wilkerson "Preach Brother"

Jimmy Forrest "Forrest Fire"

Duke Pearson "Wahoo"

No, I didn't know them, Richard. I must get along there when I've some cash. Even then, I won't be in the running for a Sahib Shihab LP at £300 (on their website) :crazy:

Went to one of Manchester's few remaining second-hand record shops today, Kingbee Records in Chorlton (you must be familiar with this one Bill).

Don Wilkerson "Preach Brother"

Jimmy Forrest "Forrest Fire"

Duke Pearson "Wahoo"

Thanks for the heads up on this one, Richard! Went along today and came out with

510W9JN4QSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

which I've known for fifty years, but never owned! Just under 300 used jazz CDs there in very good condition, most for £5, with an emphasis on Blue Note. Mind you, these places always play it very carefully as to what they'll accept - I just couldn't get anyone to take an Eddie Condon album off me and it was classic stuff (I'd replaced it with a more comprehensive CD). A few heartbreaks in there; e.g. spotting Paul Gonsalves Gettin' Together for a fiver, which I'd bought via Amazon a couple of months ago for a total of £9.79! :tdown

Bought the last couple of days:

Big Joe Williams - Highway Man

highway4.jpg

Blind Lemon Jefferson - I Want To Be Like Jesus In My Heart (Vinyl)

51016aMABuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bola Sete - Ocean Memories

61Eb2NZ43eL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Frank Fairfield - Pawn Records Presents Unheard Ofs & Forgotten Abouts

zzfrankfairfieldspawn_101b.jpg

John Fahey - America (Vinyl 2LP)

fahey_john~_america18_101b.jpg

Louis Armstrong - Retrospective 1923-1956

41YAmA61eAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Mance Lipscomb - Best Of

51bYvicqI-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Pastor TL Barrett - Like A Ship (Without A Sail) (Vinyl)

barret_past_likeaship_101b.jpg

Pee Wee Russell - Ask Me Now

61gM6FWuZlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

V.A. - Excavated Shellac – Strings – Guitar, Oud, Tar, Violin & More From The 78rpm Era (Vinyl)

zzexcavatedshellacstr_101b.jpg

Edited by jostber