tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41Cv5zO3e8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg41KxBeK-WXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bob Dylan Radio Radio, vol. 3 (4-CD)

Bob Dylan Radio Radio, vol. 4 (4-CD)

I love these box sets which are made up of the (non-Dylan) music that appeared on Dylan's Sirius Theme Time radio show. (Dylan's commentary from the show is not included.) Supposedly the music that appeared on his show was from selections he made from his own music library. They're filled with an eclectic collection of music that covers a wide spectrum of musical genres. They're perfect to throw on when you're looking for a variety of music that is full of interesting twists, turns and surprises. They're like the ultimate, cool mix tapes you'd make back in the day. I got both for $37.83 which makes it less than $5.00 per disc, well worth the investment.

Edited by mikelz777

Charles Lloyd - Of Course, Of Course

Dom Um Romao - Dom Um Romao (Vinyl)

Eddie Harris - Genius Of Eddie Harris (Vinyl)

Gerry Mulligan - Feeling Good (Vinyl)

Gerry Mulligan - Meets Enrico Riva (Vinyl)

Idris Muhammad - Power Of Soul (Vinyl)

J.J.Johnson - J.J

Paolo Angeli - Tibi

V.A. - Nuggets of Golden Age of Gospel 1945-1958

V.A. - Powerhouse Gospel 1946-1958

Some used vinyls at fine prices.

Since my last post here:

Willie Humphrey -- "New Orleans Trad Jazz Legends, Vol. 2"

Best of the Duke Ellington Centennial Edition

Okeh Ellington

John Kirby -- "Rehearsin' for a Nervous Breakdown"

Louis Armstrong -- 1925 - 26" (chrono classics) .. for the handful of tunes not included on the JSP

Ellington Cotton Club Anthology 1938

Ellington -- "Jungle Nights in Harlem"

Ellington -- "Jubilee Stomp"

Lonnie Johnson -- "He's a Jelly Roll Baker"

Blind Boy Fuller -- "East Coast Piedmont Style"

Blind Boy Fuller -- "Truckin' My Blues Away"

Percy Humphrey & Paul Barbarin (American Music)

Port of Harlem Jazzmen

Early Ellington

The Muhal Richard Abrams Orchestra: Blu Blu Blu (Black Saint)

:tup That is a fantastic record... I have it only as a download from eMusic, but sooner or later I need to find the CD or vinyl.

FYI - Cadence has restocked much of the Black Saint & Soul Note catalog, including most or all of the Muhal titles. And Black Saint may release a Muhal box at some point.

41DQCqnrPJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bud Powell - Tempus Fugue-It (4-CD)

I have no Bud Powell in my collection so I thought I'd remedy that. This box set covers Bud from 1944-1950. I'm tripping across too many great deals lately, and spending a bit too much money. I've got to curb the new CD buys for a while, I've posted 5 new buys in the last week.

Edited by mikelz777

The Muhal Richard Abrams Orchestra: Blu Blu Blu (Black Saint)

:tup That is a fantastic record... I have it only as a download from eMusic, but sooner or later I need to find the CD or vinyl.

FYI - Cadence has restocked much of the Black Saint & Soul Note catalog, including most or all of the Muhal titles. And Black Saint may release a Muhal box at some point.

Thanks. I hope I won't regret it, but rather than buying the individual CDs, I'm going to wait for the box set.

Got the Miles Bitches Brew Anniversary set today (from amazon) - looks GREAT!

Only thing that's a drag: you almost have to damage the foldout (vinyl size) that holds the CDs on one side. I got them all out without doing too much damage, but won't got back in there!

It is indeed great !

The innards of my box were damaged on one corner though (box fine) so a replacement is on its way. And as you say, those CDs are an absolute pain to replace in their 'slots'.

Got the Miles Bitches Brew Anniversary set today (from amazon) - looks GREAT!

Only thing that's a drag: you almost have to damage the foldout (vinyl size) that holds the CDs on one side. I got them all out without doing too much damage, but won't got back in there!

It is indeed great !

The innards of my box were damaged on one corner though (box fine) so a replacement is on its way. And as you say, those CDs are an absolute pain to replace in their 'slots'.

Glad I'm not alone there... mine arrived in fine condition, luckily. The box was flimsy and huge (almost as our beloved boxes from zweitausendeins back in the day when they had these amazing ZYX/Fantasy offers) but inside, everything was ok.

I don't often complain about silly packaging, I can handle most of it (ok, my fingers get rusty from the Bill Evans Verve box, too - but I like the idea of the rusty box a lot) but this here is just silly! If it's a bit of a drag to get discs out and back in with some boxed sets, that's one thing, but if you're afraid of breaking a disc just to get it out, that's more than annoying!

Beach Boys: Pet Sounds (Loaned my copy out, never returned)

George Harrison: All Things Must Pass

Paul McCartney & Wings: Band On The Run (Broke down and got the 2cd/DVD Best Buy version)

Traffic: John Barleycorn Must Die & The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys

Neil Young: Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere. After The Gold Rush. Harvest.

Had a classic rock craving... :rolleyes:

Glad I'm not alone there... mine arrived in fine condition

Apparently my replacement 'Deluxe' Set arrived today. However they needed a signature so I have to reschedule delivery before I can actually get my mits on it and return the other box back. ;)

(almost as our beloved boxes from zweitausendeins back in the day when they had these amazing ZYX/Fantasy offers) but inside, everything was ok.

Damn - I wish they would return to the days when they stocked those discount 'EuroMosaics' (I need the Buddy Rich set :g ). But instead of pricing them in those useless Euro thingies, keep the pricing in $US for us poor Brits.