Some R&B&J

syreeta~~~~_onetoone~_102b.jpg

glaspe_robe_blackradi_101b.jpg

Day before yesterday:

Sonny Criss ______________________________ CD 3.99 1 3.99

Beat Goes On

New Copy

Sonny Criss ______________________________ CD 4.99 1 4.99

This Is Criss! (RVG remastered with bonus track)

Condition: Used

Don Ellis ________________________________ CD 5.99 1 5.99

New Ideas (reissue)

, New Copy (NOTE: CD case has a cutout hole.)

Don Ellis ________________________________ LP 8.99 1 8.99

Haiku

Condition: Very Good+ (NOTE: US pressing.)

Bought a few downloads from Amazon UK today, two found because I was shopping around after looking through the prices of the recent (or future) Japanese releases of Atlantic R&B & jazz material and the BN LT and LA series and deciding that almost all of what I wanted could be found on Amazon UK at much less. Some actual CDs on order, too.

D%20Kal%20CAMARA%20CD%204192%20Kerfala%20Kante%20Recto%20CD.jpg

Kerfala Kante - Kaira - CK7

281440.jpg

Herbie Mann - Mellow - Atlantic

Buster-Smith-The-Legendary-Bus-464659.jpg

Buster Smith - The legendary Buster Smith - Atlantic

Jeez, this is a fantastic album! With a great band, including powerful solos from Hog Cooper. Nothing I've heard of Buster prepared me for this! Not a swing album at all; mainstream soul jazz. Good lord!

MG

Do we love the inadvertently hilarious anthropological liner notes by Gunther Schuller on the Buster Smith album?

Oh HELL yeah!

Well, I haven't got those. (Sung to the tune of 'One meat ball') You get no sleevenotes with one download.

Can you scan them, Jim?

MG

Jim Blimey presents Rubbery Rubbingtons And His Cheeks A'Sprakle Big Band in A Ray Ellington Christmas Collection Classic - And To ALL A Good Knife!!!!!!!!!!

Is that REALLY a Ray Ellington album?

MG

61IBP-EtC0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks for the tip, JC!

I just sent you a long email detailing all the reasons you had to get this album. It's all kinds of fabulous.

Well, that's enough recommendation for me! Now downloading from Amazon UK.

Sleeve notes - and your e-mail to Jim, which I'm sure is even more vaulable - would be greatly appreciated.

MG

Do we love the inadvertently hilarious anthropological liner notes by Gunther Schuller on the Buster Smith album?

Oh HELL yeah!

Well, I haven't got those. (Sung to the tune of 'One meat ball') You get no sleevenotes with one download.

Can you scan them, Jim?

MG

I'll try to get to them this weekend, Will email them when done.

Jim Blimey presents Rubbery Rubbingtons And His Cheeks A'Sprakle Big Band in A Ray Ellington Christmas Collection Classic - And To ALL A Good Knife!!!!!!!!!!

MG

Uhhhhhh.... :)

Oh HELL yeah!

Can you scan them, Jim?

MG

MG

In addition to being a good drummer and a charming singer, Ray was the voice of Major Bloodnok in the Goon Show, and sang a song during each show (I see that Ray Nance guested with him on this once).

ellington+ep+front+cover.jpg

RAYELLINGTON-ILLFOLKS.jpg

Actually, I rather think that Ray was my real introduction to jazz, in terms of something that I heard regularly while I was a kid.

MG

Thanks for the tip, JC!

I just sent you a long email detailing all the reasons you had to get this album. It's all kinds of fabulous.

Sleeve notes - and your e-mail to Jim, which I'm sure is even more vaulable - would be greatly appreciated.

MG

Done and done. Check your email.

Thanks for the tip, JC!

MG

Done and done. Check your email.

Thanks Jeff!

Sorry I couldn't find Ray Ellington's 'The Madison' on Youtube.

MG

Another download from Amazon this afternoon

Herbie-Mann-Hold-On-Im-Comin-426302.jpg

Herbie Mann - Hold on, I'm comin - Atlantic

Recorded in '72 at Montreux and Newport in New York, with David Newman, SOnny Sharrock, Pat Rebillot, Andy Muson & Reggie Ferguson. It BURNS!!!! (well, most of it :))

MG

Sharrock said whenever he took a solo in that band, it would ruin the mood :g

Oh HELL yeah!

Can you scan them, Jim?

MG

MG

In addition to being a good drummer and a charming singer, Ray was the voice of Major Bloodnok in the Goon Show, and sang a song during each show (I see that Ray Nance guested with him on this once).

ellington+ep+front+cover.jpg

RAYELLINGTON-ILLFOLKS.jpg

Actually, I rather think that Ray was my real introduction to jazz, in terms of something that I heard regularly while I was a kid.

MG

If you put an afro on this guy he'd be a dead spit for Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy

lynottphilbio.jpg

Edited by freelancer