tonym

Aha! Postie just brought a package from Nick Dean

AVP016.jpg

Souleymane Faye - Pain boulette - Audio Video

0.jpg

Moussa Ngom - Banjul - Pape Ndoye

pello.jpg

Dial Moussa Ale - Pello pello - KSF

Dial Moussa Ale - Jarnako - KSF (no image on web)

ss2165.jpg

Sona Djeli Kouyate - Hommage a Sona Mamady Conde - Super Selection

MG

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally slowed way down, but I did order the Vogue recordings of Don Byas and then the Szell Decca/Philips box set:028947567806_300.jpg.

This last one is a particularly sore point as I ordered it through an Amazon vendor. It never turned up. I complained and they claimed (eventually) they sent a replacement copy. I doubt very much that either was sent, but the length of time had gotten so long there wasn't much to do other than post a negative review. But it is going out of print, so I figured I had better act now if I ever wanted it.

A bunch of LPs from PeteB turned up this morning. What with water being intermittently cut off for the last couple of days, I only just managed to get to hear them now.

140.jpg

Various Artists - Live at the Apollo 1944-1947 - Everybody's

Phew! Some cracking playing from a bunch of great big bands, and even the Duke and Basie are overshadowed by Erskine Hawkins!

PICT0038-1.JPG

Erskine Hawkins - Swingin' in Harlem - Vocalion (Tax, Sweden)

Very nice early sessions from 1936-38. Never heard any of this stuff before.

$T2eC16FHJF8E9nnC6MRnBQEI+9i57!~~60_35.JPG

Lionel Hampton & his orchestra - 1948 - Alamac

Live broadcast stuff with the band veering towards, and sometimes leaping into, bebop. Fats Navarro & Benny Bailey to blame :D

4342.jpg

Arnett Cobb - Arnett Cobb is back - Progressive

Every bit as good as you think it should be.

MG

Well, with my New Month's Resolution to buy fewer records in December leading me to buy more expensive ones :D, I just found this on AMazon UK

tommy_dean-deanie_boy_plays_hot_rhythm_and_blues.jpg

Tommy Dean - Deanie Boy plays hot Rhythm & Blues - Tommy Dean - Miracle, VJ & States cuts (Official, Denmark)

I saw this in Tower in London when it came out but I'd spent all my money, so I decided that I could get it from Spillers when I got home. However, a week later Official had closed, and copies have been very scarce. I saw one on AMazon UK a couple of years ago for a hundred quid and didn't bite :D. But I just found one there now for only 17! Wow!

Dean was an important St Louis organist - the man who influenced Sam Lazar and with whom Grant Green developed his style. This LP doesn't contain the tracks from Dean's VJ session with Green, which have never been released.

MG

Well, with my New Month's Resolution to buy fewer records in December leading me to buy more expensive ones :D, I just found this on AMazon UK

Tommy Dean - Deanie Boy plays hot Rhythm & Blues - Tommy Dean - Miracle, VJ & States cuts (Official, Denmark)

I saw this in Tower in London when it came out but I'd spent all my money, so I decided that I could get it from Spillers when I got home. However, a week later Official had closed, and copies have been very scarce. I saw one on AMazon UK a couple of years ago for a hundred quid and didn't bite :D. But I just found one there now for only 17! Wow!

Dean was an important St Louis organist - the man who influenced Sam Lazar and with whom Grant Green developed his style. This LP doesn't contain the tracks from Dean's VJ session with Green, which have never been released.

MG

You should have done the liner notes to the new cd MG. They should have flown you to St Louis for a week of research and partying. :D

Do you know if the VJ sessions survive?

MG

You should have done the liner notes to the new cd MG. They should have flown you to St Louis for a week of research and partying. :D

Do you know if the VJ sessions survive?

I think they don't. Michael Cuscuna was into the Vee-Jay files and achives a few years ago and I can't believe he wouldn't have done at least something.

MG

This arrived today, having done a fast swim across the Atlantic.

51h1ELGSiXL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Grant Green - Live at the Holy Barbarian, St Louis, 1959 - Uptown

Good sleeve note about the background, and fascinating newspaper clips. But they still don't acknowlege Lazar's debt to Tommy Dean.

GG seems to have been using the Gibson at the last gig at the bar. Sounds like he was for the recording, too, though I don't really know.

MG