• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

railfoldeer.jpg

Rail Band - Belle epoque vol 1 - Syllart

0000427658_500.jpg

Rail Band - Belle epoque vol 3 - Syllart

Two of the three 2CD sets issued 6 years ago by Syllart. Vol 2 still stuck in the snow, by the looks of it.

I don't know why I haven't bought these before now; Rail Band is one of the most important Malian bands and I like their stuff a lot.

MG

Vol 2 of the Rail Band set came this morning

ProductImage-2612060.jpg

Rail Band - Belle epoque vol 2 - Syllart

Then I zoomed into Cardiff and went into tthe Oxfam shop for the first time. A bit overpriced, but maybe not - original Beatles LPs for 40-50 quid, is that expensive? Anyway, I picked up this

$(KGrHqYOKjQE6V)lyHzGBOm0YRw9nw~~60_35.JPG

Great Wilson Pickett hits - Marble Arch.

This is a reissue of his Double L album 'It's too late', which I bought back in the day, and has really fine stuff, including 'If you need me'. Sold when I was poor, and have never seen since, so I'm pretty glad to have got this. Looks in fine nick, too. No chance to play it yet though.

MG

And now for something completely different

4ebc38aeda1b7_214460n.jpg

Joey Dee & the Starliters - Doin' the twist at the Peppermint Lounge/Back at the Peppermint Lounge - twistin' - Roulette (Sequel UK)

I remember this band as being exceptionally enthusiastic but limited. However, I was always interested because it was led by a wild organist which, for 1961/2, was quite unusual. The back story is that 3 future members of the Rascals were in this band, but a bit later than these records, as was Jimi Hendrix.

Very rough music. 'Hot pastrami (with mashed potatoes)' which I used ot have on 45 back in the day is kind of amazing to me now because I never noticed it was based on the 'Green onions' riff - over a year before that record came out! Did Booker T and Carlton Latimor (the organist with the Starliters) crib it from the same older source, or (heaven forfend) did Booker T get it from here?

ANyway, it's crude but enjoyable. All but one of the covers (there are only 2 originals) are from black music, including 3 Bill Doggett hits. The band had GOOD taste.

MG