tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few nice things over the past week or two

kadior_demb_import-royal_band_de_thies-21353723-frnt.jpg

Royal Band de Thies - Kadior demb - Teranga Beat

One of my favourite Mbalax bands. Previously unissued material from late '70s or early '80s

platters-heavenonhearthfvtd128.jpg

Platters - Heaven on earth - Mercury

3 CD set of almost all their Mercury material. Very good mostly. The album sides that I hadn't heard before are generally pretty good, with good bands behind them. I 've wished flr a long time that Jug, Gator or Houston Person had recorded 'Twilight time'.

And, on the subject of Rock & Roll

Elvis+At+Sun+ElvisPresleyElvisAtSunDel2004D.jpg

Elvis Presley - Elvis at Sun - RCA

oh, and some no 'count jazz stuff

419giUvM2qL.jpg

Sidney Bechet Mosaic Select

MG

51PZ%2Bi0EEhL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Christ Potter The Sirens

I know some people think he's heaven sent as a saxophonist but that's going a bit far :unsure:

unconvincing album for me, sounds better in the passages when the leader's not playing by and large - but I nearly always have a "technique over content" reaction to Potter (exceptions seem to be with Motian)

Leibman/Beirach Mosaic Select. A bit 'after the event' and now OOP but enjoyed the 'Pendulum' so much that I figured it would be best to pounce before prices start to get silly. Also took the opportunity to pick up some near-OOP Singles I am missing (Wiley, JJ/Kai, Rich, Merrill). My excuse -the £ is dropping off a cliff.. ;)

51PZ%2Bi0EEhL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Christ Potter The Sirens

I know some people think he's heaven sent as a saxophonist but that's going a bit far :unsure:

unconvincing album for me, sounds better in the passages when the leader's not playing by and large - but I nearly always have a "technique over content" reaction to Potter (exceptions seem to be with Motian)

I found the album dissapointing also. I never really got into Potter, but since I loved his contribution to the "Lost in a Dream" album and Eric Harland is playing on this one, I had quitte high hopes. For the most time the only thing i was thinking though while listening to this albums was "now shup up Potter, so I can hear the rest of the band! :lol:

For some reason his tone just doesn't grab me at all, and on this album I found the sound of his sax mixed/mastered? way to loud in comparrison with the rest of the group.

As for what I bought; two very nice "Blue Note in a box" Liberty vinyl pressings of two of my alltime favorite albums:

albumcoverWayneShorter-AllSeeingEye.jpg?

0000024731_350.jpg

I bought four further Coltrane SHM-CDs:

UCCU-6069 John Coltrane - Live At The Village Vanguard

UCCU-6154 John Coltrane - Impressions

UCCU-6163 John Coltrane - Live At Birdland

UCCI-9212 John Coltrane - Stellar Regions

I'm still waiting for two others to ship:

UCCI-9213 John Coltrane - Interstellar Space

UCCI-9211 John Coltrane - Jupiter Variation

Couple of nice downloads from Amazon UK

51ITEx8SZuL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Buddy Tate meets Abdullah Ibrahim - Chiaroscuro - very, very nice indeed!

51zKcamI6pL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Mory Djeli Dienne Kouyate - La flamme de la verite - TWS - MDDK has a fabulous voice! I've got 5 of his now. Pity there's no info with Amazon's downloads; don't know how old this is, but probably less than ten years.

MG

The first 2 of this 5 CD set turned up this morning

fats-domino-early-imperial-singles-cd.jp

Fats Domino - The early Imperial singles 1950-52 - Imperial (Ace UK)

0029667048026.jpg

Fats Domino - The Imperial singles 1962-64 - Imperial (Ace UK)

My goodness, this is good stuff. Got a fair bit of the first set and used to have some of vol 5 back in the day, but the stuff I didn't hear before is as great as the classics!

MG